Two graphics issue

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
fax1974
Trader
Trader

Two graphics issue

Post by fax1974 »

Hi everybody, I attach two graphic issue I have. My graphic card:

- NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

Thank you. F.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Two graphics issue

Post by pyramid »

The first artifact is actually programmed noise. I was always wondering what's the idea behind and would support removing that noise. There seems not to be an obvious reason to make gauges appear noisy when paused.

The second artifact is due to renaming of extensions. It is known and will be worked upon.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That noise while paused was present in 0.4.3 as well so it's an old issue.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You shouldn't have seen the sun problem in 0.5.0.

However if you are using Subversion to get the latest version you will indeed see a few white textures around sprites. It has to do with how we are renaming all our texture files.

The static problem I have seen for a while, I don't know why that happens--it seems that slowing time down (to near 0, as when it is paused) would make the static less frequent.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

I'm seeing white squares instead of something or other (not sure what) in SVN (just rebuilt a couple seconds ago.)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yeah I see those too in SVN. It's related to the renaming textures and it should be fixed in the next few weeks (it's not too high priority since it's only for a few sprite textures)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Strangely, the static when paused is actually purposefully coded (cockpit.cpp):

Code: Select all

void GameCockpit::DrawGauges(Unit * un) {
          static string gauge_static = vs_config->getVariable("graphics","gauge_static","static.ani");          
          static Animation vdu_ani(gauge_static.c_str(),true,.1,BILINEAR);
          vdu_ani.DrawAsVSSprite(gauges[i]);	
I vote for removing those lines and will do so unless somebody has a good argument explaining this effect. Animating static when the game is paused simply doesn't make sense to me.

As for the white squared suns. Murphy has hit me yesterday. I was flying all over the rlaan space to get a glimpse of the red-squared-artifact-sun. After traversing like 20 systems, still no luck. Maybe I should have chosen a more coreward route.

I'd appreciate somebody posting the system file when the thing happens, so I may reproduce and trace the problem.

EDIT: Forget the last line. I finally found the culprit. It is a missing image. Not sure how it disappeared but I must have deleted it by accident when renaming files. Will be updated in the next 12h.
biryoku
Explorer
Explorer

Post by biryoku »

Why is the animated static there at all during game play? I mean, I start a new game, with a ship in relatively good repair, and my otherwise decent graphical experience is rendered almost unbearable by this constant flicker on every single sprite in my ui. What purpose can that possibly serve but to make the game unbearable?

I could understand if they flicker when you take damage, that would be nice, but every single sprite flickering constantly is simply annoying to the point it hurts my eyes to play the game.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

If by "flickering" you mean the animated static, I have no clue where the idea came from and hence removed it some time ago in the svn trunk.
biryoku
Explorer
Explorer

Post by biryoku »

You're my hero =]
AzarWolf
Trader
Trader

Post by AzarWolf »

glad to see it's removed... the static didn't even match up in some spots!
If only I could stop and ask for directions...