Constant Crashing

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Constant Crashing

Post by Cruis.In »

Hey just installed a fresh 0.5.0 never had VS on this PC before.

Undock, wait a few seconds, crash.

Running core 2 duo 2.5ghz, 2gig ram, creative X-FI soundcard, geforce 7900GS.

I do note that I dont hear any sound while docked, no music while the game is loading, etc, should I?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

What Operating System are you running?

Regarding the sound problem, if you're on Windows XP and 2000, can you try installing the OpenALwEAX.exe installer that is inside the "bin" folder? That will install Creative's OpenAL library--it should not be necessary but doesn't hurt.

Also, could you post the stderr.txt and stdout.txt files? They should be in the "bin" folder on Windows.
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

hey, i have no doubt its related to my pc as you wouldnt release this like this, and no one else is reporting such constant crash.

i will have to soldier on with this one myself, dont bother, but thanks!

(gets to work)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Maybe taking a look at stdout/stderr could help. If it's not hardware/OS related.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
whiterushin
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Getting intermittent crashes in Hardy Heron

Post by whiterushin »

It crashes for me on an Inspiron 9400 running in Hardy Heron. Was fine in original star system but now that I've started a mission and got to Bernards star I can't leave w/o crashing. Would post stderr but can't seem to find it... Great game though.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Its location depends on the OS. In windows, it's where the exe is (in the bin folder). In linux, you have to run vegastrike from a console and copy/paste the console output (or better yet, redirect stdout/err to separate files).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You have to run it with "vegastrike >output.txt 2>&1" which will pipe all output into output.txt that you can post.

Also, it would be nice if you could run it in GDB (though you must go into setup and turn it to Windowed Mode first).
To start it in gdb, do:
gdb vegastrike

At the (gdb) prompt type "run"

Upon crashing it will bring you back to a (gdb) prompt, type "bt full" and copy and paste the output of that backtrace (make sure to include the beginning)
whiterushin

Seg fault

Post by whiterushin »

Will try gdb next
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whiterushin

Seg fault with gdb

Post by whiterushin »

Ran through gdb and it froze this time instead of simply auto-closing vegastrike. I ran bt full see results attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thx whiterushin i don't see why it is seg faulting but do see lots of faction look up errors one of the devs should be by later and have a look is not i will bring it to there attention.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Those pesky faction lookup errors have been around for a while and don't seem any closer to being fixed, but they also don't appear to do anything :? so oh well... I'm sure one of the devs will get around to tracking it down eventually. It looks like it crashed in "WarpTrail::Draw()"

What graphics card and drivers do you have, as this could well be related to the problem?