Mouse does not work inflight on .43 and .50

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Killer Bee
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Mouse does not work inflight on .43 and .50

Post by Killer Bee »

I am using 6.06 dapper ubuntu and recently resumed playing vegastrike with the advent of the .50 edition. The mouse works perfectly in menu, but inlight it simply does not function. I have set .config manually to glide_mouse, to no avail. I normally would not mind, but being trying to kill constantly shifting hyenas by the dozens with a keyboard w/o autotracking is frustrating. As i am new to vegastrike bugs, i am not sure were to look for logs. If it is relevant, the shell that ran vegastrike showed a couple of faction-type errors and lots of calculations, but absolutely nothing about a mouse error. The mouse is a simple ps/2 optical logitech. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please feel free to tell me how to better give you the relevant information that you need.

-edit- I forgot to mention, i have had the same identical problem in .43 (gotten via the ubuntu repositories) as in .50, which is why i stopped playing .43
Last edited by Killer Bee on Sat May 10, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Have you tried setting hardware cursor in the setup utility (or in the config file if the setup fails to have that option) to see if that works. There were some problems with graphics drivers and the cursor, so what is you graphics hardware and driver rev. 8)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Hardware cursor was removed because it no longer worked in the code.

Editing the config file can be hard to do right, since things are defined all over the place. You may have thought you changed it, but some sections of the config file are entirely commented out, so it may have had no effect.

Have you tried going into "vssetup" and changing the Mouse Cursor setting? (you need to run it in a console in case that wasn't clear)

If vssetup fails to work on your machine I would also like to know.
Killer Bee
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Killer Bee »

No i have not, am trying that now...
I am using an Nvidia 6600 LE w/ 256mb, and my drivers are the standard 6.06 ubuntu ones: 1.0.8776 (quite old probably, but not so old that i would think they would pose a problem)
Killer Bee
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Killer Bee »

vssetup works fine, and reflects my own editing (thanks for pointing out how to run it :roll: ...i did not even know how to access it beforehand). Hmm...now that i think there is another very relevant piece of information here: my screen saver will activate while inflight (dimming the screen to near blackness for around 30 seconds, and then disappearing) until i set it to wait for 30 minutes. I am going to try it again now...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I had a similar problem with the screensaver when running Gnome in Feisty, but only in a dual-screen setup.
Unfortunately I don't know how to solve it... probably a bug in SDL if anything.
Killer Bee
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Killer Bee »

i dont care about the screenasver at all...its just i think it is relevant that the inflight system (but NOT the menu) disconnects from mouse...and disconnects my keyboard input from the application monitoring the screensaver timing (because if i believe that i have not touched the mouse for more than 15 minutes w/o triggering the screensaver while in openoffice). The game, by the way, is completely awesome...its just so frustrating having a problem that does not really appear outside of my computer to exist that makes playability irritating. Other than that shady mechanic offering me a way to increase upgrade volume that did not work, the game works perfectly outside of this. :cry:
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

vssetup should have solved the mouse.

However, if you hand-edited the config file (the format is very confusing, something that will change in later versions), vssetup will show the wrong settings (it may show Mouse Glide when the game files are configured to No Mouse).

To make it back in sync, you have to select the old setting (No Mouse) and then put it back to Mouse Glide

Or, you can delete the vegastrike.config in your home directory that you edited, and then run vssetup afterwards.
Killer Bee
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Killer Bee »

Yes, thank you! it worked...thank you very much!

Now that it works, i have another question: can i make the mouse smoother and/or less accelerated? making small adjustment is nearly impossible...kind of like the keyboard
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Check out the mouse_sensitivity value on line 1004, mouse_deadband on 1011 and exponent.

These you will have to edit by hand--as long as you don't change the big setting names (liek mouse_glide enabled) it is fine.
Killer Bee
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Killer Bee »

thanks, that helped a lot!