Collision strangeness

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Collision strangeness

Post by vodalian »

Earlier I docked at the mining base in the first system and when it was time to leave, I proceeded to turn and face the direction I wanted to go, but all of a sudden my ship started to spin violently and then it was flung at a pretty high speed. I'm assuming that while I was turning, I collided with the station which is what led to this strange bug.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

first, i think there was some issues of crazy dead polygons inside the mining base that has been brought up while retexturing it. Other than that, there is (and has always been) an issue of colliding via torque rather than linear motion.

My suggestion is to not do that anymore. :)

fixes to that behavior are medium-ish priority, and probably wont get addressed for a few minor revs into 0.5.x
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I would like to limit the maximum speed you can fly at after a collision to be bounded by some sane limit (possibly the sum of the velocities of the two ships that collided)... not sure what constitutes as a sane limit.

I have noticed a whole lot of AI ships spinning in circles with huge star streaks around them when I target them, especially since the hack that keeps AI players from taking damage when colliding.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

The problem lies with how torque is allowed to progress through a collision (this is how it was explained to me) while we stop linear motion during a collision.
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Post by vodalian »

safemode wrote:My suggestion is to not do that anymore. :)
Damn!! My game of flying around space and purposely crashing into stations is over!! :P
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah he was encouraging that a while back :lol: but apparently most of the collide code works as intended.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

ace123 wrote:especially since the hack that keeps AI players from taking damage when colliding.
oh, that explains why I saw a cap ship (gleaner?) fly to a gas mining station just this morning...
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Yea, eventually we'll get to fixing why AI ships cant fly ...