Can't tractor in ships.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Can't tractor in ships.

Post by zeroangel »

I originally posted here: (user help forum)

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=11164

I am now beginning to think this is a bug.

I have a Plowshare, I bought a small fighter, I launched it and I can't tractor it back in. In fact, I can't seem to tractor in anything other than cargo.

I have hvy tractors and autotracking.

The ship I am trying to tractor literraly passes through my Plowshare. It doesnt collide at all. I can see the ships on top of one another from the outside cam.

Is this a known bug? I am using a fairly recent version of SVN, about a week old.

Anyone encounter this before? Thank you!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I believe this is indeed a bug I have heard of before ... not sure what to say--I think it has to do with the distinction between a Unit and a Unit containing cargo, but I'm not sure...

It might have to do with the fact that you could theoretically use the tractor beam on another ship without wanting to suck it into your bay (or you can't because you youreself are a fighter ship)

Tractoring in ships isn't well supported at the moment--sorry.
moondrake
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by moondrake »

it wouldn't be that bad normally, but the problem is that it also makes many "rescue" missions pointless as you cannot tractor in the pods.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

So you can't get pilots, but you can tractor in space junk or cargo?

I wonder if it has to do with cargo being treated as missiles (i.e. expire after a certain amount of time), but pilots being treated as units...
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Will this be fixed by 0.5?

Post by zeroangel »

I can't seem to tractor in pilots from rescue missions either, but normal pilots seem to work.

Anyhow, I will throw in my shot in the dark:

Perhaps it's also something do to with collision detection? As I said, my ship passes right through the ship I am trying to tractor.

Might I humbly suggest that this be given a very high priority? I don't see many other serious bugs other than this. The consequences of this bug are as follows:

1. Rescue missions are pointless and can't be completed.
2. Buying fighters to keep in your larger ship is pointless since you can not recover them.
3. Because selling captured ships is very profitable: it seems to be one of the only ways that combat would be worthwhile after you become sufficiently wealthy. Obviously, this can't be done with this bug.

Edit: Ace, yes, that is right, I can't tractor in ships or pilots (mission related ones), but I can tractor in space salvage, cargo, and pilots (non-mission related). Thank you!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

We will fix this for the release
the fix is simple
in units.csv
add a new column
Tractorability

then a value in the column
pPiI
means it can be both pushed and Inserted into hold
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Add this for every ship?

Post by zeroangel »

Do I add this column and value for just ships? Or cargo as well? Everything?

Thank you!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The column will be added by hellcatv or jackS as well as a few code changes to actually check that value and so determine proper behavior.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

So... just be patient?

Post by zeroangel »

So then, I just gotta wait until version 0.5 comes out?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That appears to be self evident :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

*sigh*

Post by zeroangel »

Yah... just had to be sure. Can't wait to get playing again, this is kind of a show stopper.

Oh, are we going to be able to take ships from our "My Fleet" and put them in the cargo hold? Kind of frustrating that you can't deck out your fighters the way you want.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That i do not think will be done at least not for the release and most likely low priority after that.

zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Rev. 12169

Post by zeroangel »

I notice in Rev. 12169 there is now a column in unist.csv for "Tractorbility." However, the ships dont have "pPiI" flag. If I add that flag to the ships will it work?

Thanks!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes, I was going to do that, but I wasn't sure which ships needed it... should it just be on all ships?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

this sounds like the tractor feature is broken if it needs hacks like this to function.

Any unit should be tractorable. It should be a function of the tractor feature to dictate the effect that tractoring has on different units.

You should not need hacks like this to dictate that function, all the information necessary to the tractor feature is ritht there in the Unit class. It's mass, it's radius, it's speed, and if it has shields active (to block the tractor beam). What happens when you lock on to a bigger object than your ship, an object under it's own thrust, and object smaller or equal to your ship but bigger than your cargo hold can handle etc, should all be handled in the tractor "damage" code.

since that doesn't seem to be the case, the right fix would be to rewrite the tractor code, or fix the bug that is breaking it.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Safemode makes a good point...

Post by zeroangel »

...HOWEVER, I still see a viable need for this feature. For example: missiles should NOT be tractorable. In fact, thats the only thing I can think of, perhaps a better flag would be what is NOT tractorable.

Ace: All ships should be tractorable, then the other features that safemode mentioned should determine whether or not they can fit in your hold.

Heading home now. Looking forward to testing this out. TTYL.

Edit: OK, I'm home. I added the pPiI flag to every ship (and then some, just copied and pasted down the whole line, even blank entries) and it doesn't seem to work. I tried testing by buying an Ancestor, jettisoning it, and then trying to tractor it back. No good. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

The feature may not have been activated in the code yet. You'll probably have to make clean and recompile at least.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Okay, I have committed the second set of tractorability changes... I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to make all units tractorable.

It should work, however if the ships you are launching are saved ships (in My Fleet) it may not have the new tractorable field...

If they are just Cargo then it should work fine, however.
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Ace: Did it work for you?

Post by zeroangel »

It's not working. I updated my SVN with tortoise and got all the relevant files then exported it to my working directory. I loaded up my game; bought a brand new Hyena for the cargo hold of my Plowshare; launched from the station; launched the Hyena; attempted to tractor in the Hyena and no success!

Same problem as last time, it passes right through me.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Anyone out there?

Post by zeroangel »

Forgot to add my system info:

Windows XP
AMD Athlon Dual core 4600+
4 Gigs DDR800 RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS
Foxconn C51XEM2AA nForce 590 SLI Board.

Should I add this to the bug tracker? Anyone else still having this issue?

Thanks!
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

We've isolated what's happening, and it's actually a configurable feature. While you can "launch" any craft that will fit in your hold (i.e. volume of hold > volume of ship-as-cargo), to successfully tractor an object into your hold, you must have a K times (configurable in vegastrike.config) larger unit radius. Thus, you can currently launch a Hyena from a Plowshare, but you'd need an Ox or similarly large craft to tractor it back in.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

so then the fix would be making it not possible for a person to buy a ship when their ship's radius is less than K times the ship they're buying. No plowshare carrying a hyena.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes, so the problem actually lies in the data.

However, it is not possible to know the radial size of a unit without loading its mesh entirely, so that means that the Cargo computer will just be able to do a check on the hold volume defined for that unit.
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Post by zeroangel »

However, it is not possible to know the radial size of a unit without loading its mesh entirely,
Sounds like another value needs to be added that CAN be read by the cargo computer before the mesh is loaded :).

BTW, this number K, where can I find it in the vegastrike.config?
zeroangel
Merchant
Merchant

Anyone still out there?

Post by zeroangel »

Can anyone please tell me where this value K is? I loked all over vegastrike.config and I can't seem to find it.

Thank you!