rev 12125:Crash

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Zolk
Trader
Trader

rev 12125:Crash

Post by Zolk »

I crashed shortly after a jump after completing a fixer bounty mission.
Pentium 4, 2.66 Ghz
Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200
768 MB RAM
I attach stderr and stdout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
happy space flight

Zolk

It is nice to be important but more important to be nice
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

OMG how long were you playing for. The stderr is almost 1MB of plain text... :o .

Code: Select all

UNIT HAS DIED: Textron gas_midget (
is the last line of stdout. It should be in the form of:

Code: Select all

UNIT HAS DIED: Textron gas_midget (file [i]filename[/i])
so i guess it crashed while the unit was dying...but that actually doesn't make any sense :?

crap...Just searched it and it turns out thats the name of a planet. So the last line was a planet dying and it crashed in there for some reason. But planets shouldn't be dying.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Planets will die when a system is deleted.
ANyway that's not a big concern (unless the unit's name was NULL or invalid)

I had a feeling that the output buffer was not flushed (stdout is only flushed periodically)

Anyway you say you are running 12125 and you only have 768MB ram...

Try updating to latest (around 12135) --I fixed the configuration so it uses less RAM upon each system jump, so that will hopefully increase the amount of time needed for a crash (also try reducing the RAM settings in vegastrike Setup).

There is about 80 MB used on each jump with the old setting, and 25 MB leaked on each jump with the new setting, so it should take many more jumps to run out of memory if that is indeed the problem.
Zolk
Trader
Trader

Post by Zolk »

I played the following:
I started the game.
I reloaded the last save, as starting directly with this save from the lauchner didn't work (I had the inital game position instead)
I took and solved a fixer bounty mission with 4 jumps.
I jumped back 1 system to reach a friendly system but crashed.
So with the old version I can only jump 4 jumps (and even with 1 GB it would have benn only 3 more).
with the new version, if the memory leak is reduced to 25 MB, I'll be able to jump 13 times or so.
OK, I'll try.
Am I the only pilot who likes to jump into new systems?
happy space flight

Zolk

It is nice to be important but more important to be nice
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I reloaded the last save, as starting directly with this save from the lauchner didn't work (I had the inital game position instead)
The launcher is depreciated load the save game from within the game using the load screen using launcher may have some weired results.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I think I've jumped at least 10 times or so without noticing a problem, but I'm not really playing the game much now :? . Real life and all. Also my system is only 512 MB of RAM, so it should leak out more quickly...but then again I have linux :?

I used to explore a lot in v0.4.3 but there have been so many changes since then I don't think its relevant any more.