Ubuntu problems

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
leinad1123
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Ubuntu problems

Post by leinad1123 »

Hey guys,
I think I have some problems with vega strike. I installed vs from the Ubuntu-repository and everything was fine! But then I started vs and there were strange things:
1,If im on a planet or a station, everything blinks in green/yellow.
2.Another Problem is that if im playing for a period of time, the game changes into window mode, Some seconds later its full screen again.

Because of this problems I wanted to install vs by my self. So I downloaded the two .run-thingies(music and game).
I typed into the console(i was root):

Code: Select all

sh vegastrike-0.4.3-base.bz2.run
and it says to me:

/root/.setup5929: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
What can I do?

Sorry for my bad English by the way, ich komme aus Deutschland!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome leinad1123 looks like you are missing the libgdk-1.2.so.0: which is an old lib for gtk1.2 that particular version is about 2 yrs old you should have better luck with the svn version as that is what will be in the Debian repositories sometime next week we hope so your options are wait for that or compile it yourself not that hard and we will help you in any way we can instructions for that can be found here http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... eckout_SVN if you have futher questions just post.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
leinad1123
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by leinad1123 »

I think I'll do it tomorrow (its 11pm now in germany and i didn't drink coffee today :lol: ) This doesn't look that hard, I think I'll manage it.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Great and as i said if you have any problems just post.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
leinad1123
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by leinad1123 »

Ok heres my first question:
What do i have to do at which time?

First I made a directory called VegaStrike.
I downloaded "data4.x" and "vegastrike" from the SVN-Server and put them into the directory.
And after that?
I went into the new vegastrike directory and did this:

#./bootstrap-sh
#./configure
#make
#make install
But I got some errors when i used "make" and "make install":
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvorbisfile
collect2: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
make: *** [vegastrike] Fehler 1

ld hab 1 als Ende-Status
zurück is german for ld gave 1 for end-state(?)
Fehler 1 means failure 1

I was a bit confused about that because the "Building" part in the wiki comes after the download. But the "Building" part was a link to an other article. Did I had to the "Setup" part before this?
Well... I did the setup too and I did exactly what is written in the Wiki but i can't open the executables. It just says that there is a mistake.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You are missing the development package for oggvorbis also do not bother with the make install as you will most likely be re-compiling a few times before we have an actual release :wink: the game runs quite happily in user space we are likely to have updates daily so install that dev package and make dist clean in your build folder before

./bootstrap-sh
./configure --enable-debug --with-data-dir=<DIR>
make
again make sure the configure step exits with 0 before doing the make step.

leinad1123
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by leinad1123 »

Ok thanks, I'll try it ;)

edit: ... it didn't help :( I used /usr/include/libpng12/ as <DIR>
I even downloaded the files again but nothing helps.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

--with-data-dir is the path for Vegastrike's data folder. You don't need it if the data4.x folder is in the directory one level above "vegastrike"

First and foremost, have you installed the libogg-dev and libvorbis-dev packages for your system yet?
leinad1123
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by leinad1123 »

I just installed them, thanks! I'll try it again!

btw im sorry but I couldnt answer yesterday because I have problems with my internet

edit: yay!!! the game works :D
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Ubuntu problems

Post by TBeholder »

Maybe it will help someone else. I met the same problem. This thread helped, vorbisfile warnings ended after

sudo apt-get install libogg-dev libvorbis-dev
in addition to packgages that were listed in wiki because "as is" Synaptic manager didn't even found them in list. Then bootstrap, configure and...

~/Games/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tbeholder/Games/VegaStrike/vegastrike'
g++  -pipe -O0 -gdwarf-2 -g3  -pthread   -o vegastrike  src/cmd/ai/aggressive.o src/cmd/ai/comm_ai.o [...] libboost_python.a -lz -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg    -lGL  -lGLU -lXi  -lglut  -lexpat  -lpng  -ljpeg  -lopenal  -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg  -L/usr/lib -lpython2.5 -Xlinker -export-dynamic -pthread 
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [vegastrike] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/username/Games/VegaStrike/vegastrike'
make: *** [all] Error 2
~/Games/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ 
...uups, unspecified error. Now, i'm not very linux-savvy, but on the other hand i &#@%ed with NT long enough to check "what about permissions?" when i have no idea what's going on. Right, "sudo make" did it.
Also, there was great swarm of warnings. Is it normal?
Finally, Vegastrike runs, thanks to everyone. But when started from console it drops very long chain of error messages:

Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 38, in apport_excepthook
    from apport.packaging_impl import impl as packaging
ImportError: No module named apport.packaging_impl

Original exception was:
  File "/home/tbeholder/.vegastrike/modules/dj.py", line 1
    import dj_lib
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
- and this repeats precisely... well, longer than my scroll buffer. Is it normal?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

you might try redirecting the terminal output so that you get all the output but yeah there are lots of things scrolling through stderr that need fixing :wink:

ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

One possibility is that you may have some old files in your .vegastrike folder. I would advise you to delete your whole /home/tbeholder/.vegastrike folder or rename it to something else, and then try to rerun vegastrike--it should create that folder again. (This will delete any saved games you may have so keep the "save" and "serialized_xml" folders)

Another thing that could cause the syntax errors is if your data folder is using windows line feeds (if you checked it out under windows), and python doesn't like them.

Though I must admit that this whole thing is kind of strange--you shouldn't have had to use sudo to build (and you also should not do it as a matter of principle). Is it possible that this directory has the same permission issues? You can try a "chown -R yourusername ~/Games/VegaStrike" to ensure you have ownership of everything.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

ace123 wrote:One possibility is that you may have some old files in your .vegastrike folder. I would advise you to delete your whole /home/tbeholder/.vegastrike folder or rename it to something else, and then try to rerun vegastrike
Thx, cleanup worked.
ace123 wrote: Another thing that could cause the syntax errors is if your data folder is using windows line feeds (if you checked it out under windows), and python doesn't like them.
...because it's Linux python. Yeah. I replaced \x0d\x0a to \x0a\x0a in *.py throughout .../data and it helped even on running VS. Though has to replace to single \x0a later - other troubles were caused, maybe by operators split in lines.

As to permissions, it was messed up, so of course it has to be really fixed anyway. Part of the problem was caused by symlinks to NTFS disk where root owned everything, even if i allowed r/w it wasn't the same... it was easier to move sources directory into native filesystem and set proper permissions. /data is still on NTFS, no problems.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah ntfs access is still a work in progress even two years ago we only had read access the fairly new fuse3g driver is still not complete IMHO.

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello

i install ubuntu on my laptop in dualboot with vista (too much problems for blender and other 3d applications runing)Linux are more than speedy .
then i tryed to get the svn version with the Wiki tuto i follow all step but when i double clicks on Vegastrike executable file nothing happen, just a very quick-opening-flashing window ......

What can i do ???
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Then lets get some more information :wink: The tutorial you use i assume is the new Ubuntu one that MC707 wrote so open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get nautilus-open-terminal
this will install an extension to the file browser that will make things a bit more convenient after this log out of Ubuntu and log back in open the file browser find the folder where the vegastrike binary is and right-click you should see an option to Open a Terminal Here choose that and in the window that opens

./vegastrike
this will give you the stdout and stderr that you remember from windows post the output that will tell us what went wrong :wink: And by the way welcome to the dark side :lol: that is Linux if you have any other questions just post i'am sure we can get you up the learning curve even if we have to get out and push :wink:

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Fendorin wrote:hello

i install ubuntu on my laptop in dualboot with vista (too much problems for blender and other 3d applications runing)Linux are more than speedy .
then i tryed to get the svn version with the Wiki tuto i follow all step but when i double clicks on Vegastrike executable file nothing happen, just a very quick-opening-flashing window ......

What can i do ???
Just out of curiosity, did you use my tutorial (HowTo:Checkout SVN (Ubuntu Linux)) or the general one (HowTo:Checkout SVN)? For me (and my brother) it seems to be difficult (but not impossible) to do the second one (though I busted my brain to make the Ubuntu tutorial), so you should try the Ubuntu tutorial if you haven't done so. In any case, I'm gonna install yet another SVN vega strike using the tutorial I did to see if it works fine (bought a new Hard Drive so my linux and my windows are completely separated, so I installed Ubuntu yet again). I'll post my results after I get Vega strike installed again (tomorrow, too sleepy right now :))
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

MC707 :
did you use my tutorial (HowTo:Checkout SVN (Ubuntu Linux))
YES (of course if you didn't wrote it i thought it would be to hard for my poor knowledge in computer...hihi!)

but after post my first reply on this thread i decided too instal Vegastrike with the ubuntu list (application/instal/get a new program...etc)
and tada is was exactly the same effect. a one millisecond flashing window
but on the 0.5.0 version the setup wonted be launch (same a flashing millisecond window)

then i read again the MC707 "ubuntu how to installation" and finally i instal "Compiz" stop tools.
When i launched Compiz it nothing happen or a flashing window too

Then finally i thought is maybe my ATI video card have problem with ubuntu i don't know if you can help me?
i see on the Ubuntu french support my computer have no problem with ubuntu (except the output sound helmet)
my computer is a Vaio VGN ns12m --fyi:(http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/sony_vaio_vgn_ ... ignotantes)

i just find apparently my video card ATI 3530 seems to be not OK with compiz then i will try again tonight...
but if you have more information... why not post it to me

Thanks for your support
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

From my reading of that page i gather that Compiz will not work but 3D acceleration should so it tells you how to disable it the other article details how to get the sound card to is full capabilities so i would try that as well.

Edit: the PDF file at this link should help you get oriented in this new environment http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Fendorin wrote:but after post my first reply on this thread i decided too instal Vegastrike with the ubuntu list (application/instal/get a new program...etc)
and tada is was exactly the same effect. a one millisecond flashing window
but on the 0.5.0 version the setup wonted be launch (same a flashing millisecond window)
So it doesn't seem to be my tutorial... :o
Fendorin wrote:then i read again the MC707 "ubuntu how to installation" and finally i instal "Compiz" stop tools.
When i launched Compiz it nothing happen or a flashing window too
That compiz temporary disable utility works that way (I'm talking about the one in my tutorial). Press it once and the screen will flash, which means compiz is disabled. Press it again and compiz is enabled again. It is that simple. :wink:
Fendorin wrote:Then finally i thought is maybe my ATI video card have problem with ubuntu i don't know if you can help me?
i see on the Ubuntu french support my computer have no problem with ubuntu (except the output sound helmet)
my computer is a Vaio VGN ns12m --fyi:(http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/sony_vaio_vgn_ ... ignotantes)

i just find apparently my video card ATI 3530 seems to be not OK with compiz then i will try again tonight...
but if you have more information... why not post it to me

Thanks for your support
I would like to help you with that, but I have an nVidia, so I don't seem to run through those problems :?
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello

I finally find the Problems: my i stupid ? i think yes i didn't instal/update the ATI "owner pilots" for the 3d card then without video card VS doesn't launch (maybe again i suppose)
But on my ubnutu computer, VS are slowly under a average setting (middle detail, simplest shader) 2 gleaner! 1 worhmole and the Fps are around 5 i have 3GB ram i don't understand!

then in fact i wanted instal VS for runing Mesher with UC and testing the texturing/visual effect in the motor-game.

also i don't care about playing the game Currently but i ask me a question the difference of speed are really different between window and linux?
but i thing is my computer and my ....video card

+ i need to remove the pilot of my video card if i want runing blender .....then i must do a choice working on 3D or playing????
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Actually, in Ubuntu things are WAY faster than windows (at least for me). Your graphics card is probably the problem. When I discovered how to disable and enable compiz easily, I found out VS is WAY smoother, with much higher FPS. In fact, my GTA San Andreas loads SO fast, that I do not see the loading screen; I am rather pointed to the game directly. Incidentally, how do you enable FPS in VS? By the way, 64 bit seems to be much faster than 32 bit, also it recognises up to 80 Gigs of ram more or less (I think), whereas 32 bit only recognises up to 3 Gigs of ram.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That is correct no driver from ATI no 3d hardware acceleration and no VS(or very slow) mesher should run with no problems as it does not display anything :wink: it just converts the mesh data from obj+mtl to our bfxm format so using using pyramid's UC to check your textures in game should work again it will be very slow as there is no hardware acceleration your CPU does all the necessary work not the video card which is what hardware acceleration is this because the open source driver that is first installed does not support it,that and ATI has been very much a problem in Linux for years it is improving with AMD buying ATI but it is still a work in progress.Hope this make sense.
Incidentally, how do you enable FPS in VS
Look at the middle right side of your screen last i looked it was not disabled.

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:
Incidentally, how do you enable FPS in VS
Look at the middle right side of your screen last i looked it was not disabled.
hmm gonna install VS and then check it. I'll tell you if it works or not (I doubt it though)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Posting just to confirm my Ubuntu tutorial works indeed. 8) Tried it in my new Ubuntu, works like a charm. BTW anyone that knows about this, can you check my tutorial and see if the high quality texture files part is alright? I'm not sure if it is, so I would thank if anyone confirms it. :) Thanks in advance.