Segmentation Faults

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
cap601
Merchant
Merchant

Segmentation Faults

Post by cap601 »

Every time I play Vega Strike the game crashes due to a segmentation fault. I can't see any connections between any of the crashes but an example log is attached. I'm using SVN 12017 (though I've had this for the last few revisions) on Debian Sid (64 bit).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I know the devs say this every time so it would probably be good to run it in gdb and backtrace-full when it segfaults to give them more info.

(to use gdb fully you need to configure with the --enable-debug flag) :wink:

EDIT: just looked at the end of the output and it doesn't appear to give any information at all. just routine stuff until the last line :?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Just to clarify, if you haven't already, you have to do

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-debug
make clean
make
Don't forget to make clean or else the debug flag won't be set.

Also, in case you haven't done this before, to debug in GDB, run the game with "gdb ./vegastrike".
At the (gdb) prompt type "run"... Things should work as they did before, but when you reach the signal, it will show "Program received signal SIGSEGV" and bring you back to the (gdb) prompt. Now, type "backtrace full" and paste the output.

Thanks for helping us debug this. You aren't the first one to have a crash after seeing "Asking to undock" but I haven't been able to reproduce this error.
cap601
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cap601 »

After updating to 12029 I did not get any segmentation faults in almost an hour of play (With previous revisions they happened much sooner). Should I revert to an earlier revision to try to find what was going wrong (and confirm if it has been fixed) or should I leave this for now?