[11970] Further performance losses

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

[11970] Further performance losses

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, another performance thread... Sorry. :(

I'm using the same settings with 11970 as with 11940, however I'm getting significantly worse performance. The framerate while looking at nothing but empty space (with fog) varies between 20 and 30, never exceeding 30 - compare to 40-50 for SVN 11940. Furthermore, having any ship or station in view brings my framerate below 20, and on approach to planets (i.e. with the planet not filling the entire screen) it goes down below 20. As before, the more objects are in view, the worse performance is, but it's markedly worse in this revision. Even an asteroid field brings me to 8 FPS - and the asteroids look less realistic than they did in 0.4.3, I might add!

The only objects that definitely do not affect my performance are jump points, so at least I know that smoothing is turned off.

I'll mention if I notice anything else weird...
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

much like my performance from the weekend.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10870
this thread for the ongoing conversation. I didn't really see any svn changes that would do this tho...i dunno. seems the collider is still a bit iffy too.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

falling into meshes occured with the rapid collider too. There were just more hacks to correct it and those may have been very much rapid collider specific, and thus would need to be tuned a bit for opcode.

It's a minor issue, i'm looking into it.

The performance issue is a much bigger deal. It seems like we're doing something on a per-texture basis that is very gpu heavy when the texture is at mipmap level 0 in our field of vision.

could you also report the process cpu usage for both 'high" and "low" framrates? also ram usage and if possible, video ram usage or at least, video ram amount. Also quality level, and if the effect is decreases by reducing the resolution the game plays at, or reducing the quality level.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.