[SVN 11970] Load screen doesn't show, player is marooned

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

[SVN 11970] Load screen doesn't show, player is marooned

Post by Miramor »

When I started up VS 11970, I was never given the option to load a game, start a single-player game, or start a multi-player session; instead, when I should have been given that options screen, I was unceremoniously dumped on a rocky planet without any spacecraft. Deleting ~/.vegastrike did not help the situation, and afterwards I was still marooned on the rocky planet without getting the load screen.

I tried launching, and to my surprise the game did not crash; however, I wound up floating in space, in a system I did not recognize, with blue clouds as the background. Several objects were present, including jump points and the planet, when I turned so that the planet was in front of me on the radar it did not appear visually.

Additionally, although I specifically set the High Quality Font option on, the fonts displayed are not the high quality ones - it appears the option is not being obeyed.

Update: All planets show as Rocky, even Oceanic ones; it appears something has been corrupted. I will delete data4.x and download it again; if it works, I'll delete this. If it still doesn't work, be aware that it might be corrupted in SVN.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

This is so far gone beyond any changes done to data4.x that it has to be some local fubar on your machine. The errors you describe would involve errors in python scripts and vegastrike code dealing with options. Both of which havn't had edits related to that directly or indirectly.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I've suggested this like 10 times and been wrong each time but it could be a syntax error or corruption of data4.x/vegastrike.config

Try deleting that file and pulling a fresh one from the svn or just parsing it for errors.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

It's not vegastrike.config, that file is unchanged.

Edit: I think it may have been a compile error, specifying the wrong directory as the data dir.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Yeah...that would have the same effect as what I said...oh well 0 for 8 now :?
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Nope, I'll be damned - you were right. It's the config file.

Strange thing is, I looked my config file over and there aren't any actual errors in it. I wonder if I inserted an invisible character somewhere. Oh well.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

This is extremely bizarre. It appears that the problem is the changes I made to the keymapping... I was extremely careful to be sure that no keys conflict, but some of the keymap changes seem to futz the game.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You might try validating it to see if any thing is off i use "Peter's XML Editor" in XP found it on TUCOWS it has a built in validation function.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Apparently it is messed up, xmlwf gives me this:

vegastrike (copy).config:254:4: not well-formed (invalid token)

I would assume 254 is the line number? If that is the case, nothing appears to be wrong with line 254 (the code there is correctly commented out), and I did not change anything on that line.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

A problem earlier in the file could cause that line to appear to be the problem. did you forget to end an earlier section or something like that? Missing endings somewhere can make weird errors. glad it was finally the config file. I was getting tired of suggesting it incorrectly :? :wink: 8) :)