Collider

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Collider

Post by bgaskey »

The new collider doesn't appear perfect. I bounced into Serenity and bounced around inside until I died 8) . SVN pulled & clean built this morning. Besides that, I had pretty poor performance this morning, especially from the known 1 thing filling screen bug (<10 fps on docking sometimes.)
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

serenity side ports?

Post by whatch1 »

serenity side ports?

there is no dock there

dock or depart?

more info please

Bill
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I think he means the inside ports in the mining base, but I'm not sure.

Are the graphics really that slow? Which computer / operating system / graphics card is this happening on?
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

video perfomance base crashes

Post by whatch1 »

I get about 72-79 fps? avg
docking drops to~62-64 momentarily

I don't knows macs though

I haven't tried the side ports since 4.3 when this happened to me

The same can happen at the gas mine, shipyard and the Rlan fighter base

It seems to happen in the enclosed docks related to the angle you approach the base and the way your oriented when you're launched out .

If you're facing the entrance when you dock and the throtle on forward at a high setting when you launch you can crash frequently enough into the base that the base thinks it's under attack and blows you away

Bill
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Not on my mac (mac still has a compiling issue making it unplayable)
I have 1.8GHz P4 512 RAM GeForce 6200. Ubuntu 7.10 with nvidia drivers installed and working (100 series drivers).

I was trying to dock on the easy dock on the bottom/top but I missed (wasn't really paying attention :oops: and hit the little building sticking out of the asteroid. I was going pretty slow so I didn't die, but i went through the mesh, bounced off the opposite side of the station inside, and bounced around until dead.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

docking bays are tricky. AI ships are allowed to pass through but player ships are not. I've known that docking bay areas are areas of issue for a little while now. I'm not entirely sure why docking bays are such an issue. we fixed the normals issue we were having. but at slow speeds, it seems like repetitive hits aren't treated correctly by the collider before it gets to the opcode collider. (we have a collider that uses simplified data to determine if we need to call the more strenuous exact collider).

I'll look into this more. I always though something was done such that the collision wasn't handled before we hit it. Because we do react to a collision and dont pass through when we get on the inside, most of the time. I"ll have to look at the code that is wrapping opcode's collider, i believe it skips multiple contacts.

I wonder also what happens in this higher level collider when the collision normal causes your ship to rotate and move into the mech the other side hit, how the following collision call is handled. Does the normal vector point inside the larger mesh? I think so.

It seems whenever we fall into a mesh, we do it while hitting slowly, at a shallow angle. Also it's usually near the docking bay, where we have an internal pocket of external space. This may all play a role too.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

line ~508 of unit_generic.cpp has the code that is responsible for allowing us to penetrate into a hull and get stuck on the other side.

I'll have to spend more time checking this out (and i dont really have much time right now to do anything..)
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.