Widescreen

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Widescreen

Post by Xit »

Not sure if this has been asked before, or indeed may have been addressed since in another SVN version, but I run the game at 1920x1200, on a 24" widescreen, and whilst the HUD now shows correctly with circular planet representations, the planets are definitely not circular and a ship's dimension's can change by 3" depending on a horizontal or verticle orientation.

Thought I'd mention it anyway since I don't know how many widescreens there are out there, and it seems very odd to me since the resolution looks correct otherwise...
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

1920x1200 is a square resolution. It's aspect ratio is closer to 4/3 (1.6) than a widescreen's aspect ratio of 16/9 or (2.1)

that's why you see crazy stretching.

Find out the native resolution of your screen and hand edit the config file, or tell us and we'll add it.

We really should make resolution a text field in addition to preset dropdowns.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

1920x1200 is the standard resolution for 24" widescreen monitors. Asect ratio for widescreens is 16:10 on monitors unlike the 16:9 on TV's (1920x1080). I also run on a widescreen (1680x1050 22") and have the same issues. Atlantis is a lil oblong :?
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

It is indeed the native resolution and should cause no stretching, and 16:10 is closer to 16:9 than to 4:3 anyway, if you work it out. What I'm wondering is why this is happening at all, the resolution is set at 1920x1200 in config, and if it was just the wrong resolution the whole screen would be messed up, not just the rendered area.

Setting the resolution down to 1600x1200 gives the same stretched effect (which I'd expect) and the HUD is stretched too, like when the V0.5 Beta was set to 1920x1200.

EDIT: The hud at 1920x1200 is actually still stretched, just not as noticibly as in the v0.5 beta, which seems to be related to the old plain planet texture, which was very stretched being replaced with newer ones.

Taking this into account the game behaves no differently if set at 1920 or 1600. Where exactly should I hack it to 960x600? I tried vegastrike.config but it made no difference.
Save The Economy

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

hrmm, aspect is being set too. If you're positive that the native resolution of the lcd is 1920x1200, then i got no idea why it's warping for you. It should be displayed correctly. Is there anything not stretched?

Edit:

By not stretched i mean non-menu items ...like ships maybe or stars or such things.

Menu items (things that get stretched to fill the screen) will definitely be warped for you. I can't imagine how ugly the splash screens look on widescreen monitors.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

Thanks it worked, all the non menu stuff is fine now, for nicest shaders and Extreme quality it was the aspect entry just after base_fov, which is by default 1.33, none of the other settings made any difference from what I can tell... Hud planets are still slightly out, like about 1/9th wider than they are tall.

Base menus are ugly as hell but loading screens and the first main menu aren't too noticible for the most part. With the HUD planets, were they stretched to make them power of two? I'm not sure why they're distorting as they should still be like x by x pixels?

EDIT: the previous post about aspect ratio seems to have disappeared :wink:
Save The Economy

safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

that's because i thought i was wrong because aspects are set in the resolution sections ...rather than in the graphics settings like in retro mode

Are they being ignored in the resolution settings? i guess so

Certain things like fullscreen menu's and cockpits are stretched to the screen dimensions, and perhaps we wrongly stretch hud displays rather than the distance between them. Certain things are meant to have a specific aspect ratio, and i think we ignore that for the most part.

Ideally we would simply view more of the "cockpit" when being displayed at an aspect ratio that is wider than it is tall. We should enforce a specific aspect ratio on the "forward" cockpit, and when we need to display more than that on screen, we go on to display the rest of the cockpit. This could be handled as a kind of cube-map when we get real cockpits set up, then we shouldn't have a problem at all when we have to display more cockpit on-screen than what we'd normally see on a square monitor because the gl camera would take care of that for us.

Technically there is no reason why we aren't doing that now with our cockpit-less ships. My only guess is that being cockpit-less was never the intended way things were setup to be.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

Something bugged me about that "4/3 (1.6)" and "16/9 (2.1)" ...
Calculation shows:
4:3 = 1.33r
16:10 = 1.6
16:9 = 1.77r
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

yea i know I was using New Jersey fuzzy math. With the extra aspect i was going to launder i could have paid off my union friends and get myself another state no-show job pension. Thanks alot.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

yea i know I was using New Jersey fuzzy math. With the extra aspect i was going to launder i could have paid off my union friends and get myself another state no-show job pension. Thanks alot.
rofl. :lol: :lol: God bless the state of New Jersey :D