Sound Problems

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Sound Problems

Post by Coragem »

Guys, i have just updated to rev 11847, and i had to reconfigure my joystick since the new vegastreike.config file, so far ok. its working.
But i started having this weird sound issues, like two music tracks playing at the same time on the menu and during play, and severel sound effects sound terrible with noise. i did try changing those sound options in vssetup but no good. other games are fine.
Any ideas?
Thx.
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB
STEVE555
Hunter
Hunter

Post by STEVE555 »

Hi Coregem,
I too have just recently noticed the weird sound problem with the SVN version of Vegastrike.I personally don't have a solution to the problem,but I'm sure the developers will hopefully have a fix soon.I experimented with different sound options in ./vssetup(my sound,Linux sound,All sound and even No sound)but I was still getting the same problem.

Regards,
STEVE555
My Box:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 460 Processor
RAM:4 Gb
Graphics Card:ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU 1Gb RAM
Hardrive:Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Soundcard:Realtek
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

if it's playing multiple music tracks. the Sound option is not going to affect it.

Unfortunately, i never play with sound or music on, so i dont know what revision change caused the issue.

I dont see any changes that seem related to the sound thread source. Which means if you really want to be a great help, could you compile test, then go back a revision, compile and test, repeat. Until it works and report back what rev broke the music ?
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Safemode:
I dont see any changes that seem related to the sound thread source. Which means if you really want to be a great help, could you compile test, then go back a revision, compile and test, repeat. Until it works and report back what rev broke the music ?
I didn't even need to recompile, i tested using the last windows pre-compiled binaries released and i was having the same problem.

I reverted to the last few SVN revisions:
Just as i suspected, REV:11844 works, REV: 11845 Broke it.

That new vegastrike.config most have something wrong in it...

I did try looking in it with notepad++ set to xml, but didn't catch anything.

EDITED: well i did found this.

Code: Select all

<section name="audio">
			<var name="loading_sound" value="aerathemebattle.ogg"/>

<var name="music_layers" value="2"/>
			<var name="pierce_firewall" value="true"/>
I set music layers to 1 and it solved the music problem at least on this machine. i was having a sound effect issue at home so ill test there later. (At work)

Safemode:
Unfortunately, i never play with sound or music on, so i dont know what revision change caused the issue.
You're missing some great songs :mrgreen:
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

well, we might want two music layers for in game blending of musical tracks for transitional purposes. Though, I'm just guessing. If that's the case though, perhaps there is a bug in the game causing an incorrect overlap.

But for now, setting it to 1 to go back to the previous function is fine. As long as we're not regressing, it's good. We can worry about adding new features after 0.5

I barely play the game. I spend most of my time with vegastrike breaking it then fixing it. When i do play the game, it's usually not for more than 10 minutes.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Safemode:
well, we might want two music layers for in game blending of musical tracks for transitional purposes. Though, I'm just guessing. If that's the case though, perhaps there is a bug in the game causing an incorrect overlap.
It just seems the game is loading new tracks on the second layer, and first one keeps playing. has this second layer been used/tested before?

Safemode:
But for now, setting it to 1 to go back to the previous function is fine. As long as we're not regressing, it's good. We can worry about adding new features after 0.5
thats the only difference i found in vegastrike.config from Rev: 11844 to Rev:11845 (maybe pyramid3d could take a deeper look)

Safemode:
I barely play the game. I spend most of my time with Vega Strike breaking it then fixing it. When i do play the game, it's usually not for more than 10 minutes.
Keep Breaking it, we players really appreciate it :wink: , VS just keeps getting better :D

Maybe sometime in the future you will be spending your time playing VS and someone else Breaking (their heads) to fix it. :D

EDITED:
Im still having sound effects problens Lazer sounds are all noisy... i didnt have time to check, will do when i can. if anyone finds whats wrong with sound let me know.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

I have solved the sound issues i was having.

Code: Select all

<!-- #P800MHz P1000MHZ
			<var name="every_other_mount" value="false"/>
			<var name="MaxSingleSounds" value="12"/>
			<var name="MaxTotalSounds" value="32"/>
#end -->
			<var name="frequency" value="44000"/>
this nwas making the sound be all noisy on my computer, i changed the value of frequency to 22000 and the sound was perfect again.

My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (First SB live! model) dont know why i had problem with higher sound frequency.

Hope this helps if anyone was having the same problems.