Docking with Atlantis in Cephid-17 Hangs Game

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
kbitz
Explorer
Explorer

Docking with Atlantis in Cephid-17 Hangs Game

Post by kbitz »

Hi. I'm new.

I should probably be in the SFnet bug tracker, but I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong and I don't want to waste dev time if some good forum member can correct me.

I've been playing a new game for a while. 0.4.3, from apt in Ubuntu Gutsy. I started the new game, and was lucky enough to not have to scrounge around for a jump drive. Therefore, I took the first cargo mission out of the Cephid-17 system never to look back.

Except eventually I came back and tried to dock with Atlantis. And my game promptly froze. The lights on my ship blink as they should, and the mouse moves around. However, there is no way to click out of the landing pad screen. I can't jump around through the hotspots (or whatever they're called) with the right mouse button, and the indicator at the bottom of the screen never turns orange. Clicking randomly with the left mouse button does nothing.

This happens every time I land there. The only way out is to drop to a terminal and kill the game, or just kill X with ctrl-alt-bksp.

I have played before without this problem, but not on this computer, so I'm sure it's me. Plus, if everyone had this, there wouldn't be any posts about the campaign story line, since I'm sure you have to get to Atlantis for that.

Anyway, thanks,

kbitz
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

0.4.3 is a pretty old version but to get a newer version you have to compile it yourself.

It sounds like you are getting a Python error at an unfortunate time in initializing the base.

Anyway, I would like it if you could redirect output to a file and then attach that to your forum post.

To redirect output, open up a terminal, and run:

Code: Select all

vegastrike > output.txt 2>&1
This will create a text file called output.txt that you can attach.

You can also open up Setup and make it run in Windowed mode which will prevent the whole X server from crashing, but I still need the ouptut to determine the problem.
kbitz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kbitz »

Thanks for the reply. I did as you said and attached a copy of my the VS output as I underwent docking operations with Atlantis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

There is indeed a python error that causes the game to fail to load the base correctly. It has something to do with the campaign, as you might have guessed. You didn't play around with the base python modules of the operating system, did you? I hope not.

Specifically, it seems to be erroring trying to display the lil' pictures of dudes for the bar, but i have no idea why that would be happening. I'm sure ace can clear this one up, but i don't know enough about coding in general or this game in particular to be any more help.

If you're not afraid to muck around with the command line, its fairly straightforward to compile the latest SVN version under linux :)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Can you download a new version of campaign_lib.py:
http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... sion=11770

and (as root) copy it into "/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/". Make a backup of the old one.

Also, you probably need a copy of this one:
http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... sion=11770
to also put into the modules directory.

Then, see if that fixed it. I have no guarantee that this version of campaign_lib will actually be compatible with the one from two or three years ago, but it is worth a try.
kbitz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kbitz »

I got "Error. No Rooms Found." using the new campaign_lib.py.

I was still able to launch my ship (I had it docked at something or other in Cephid-17), but it just showed a huge picture of my ship over the whole screen and all the rooms were gone and replaced by a single computer.

Docking at Atlantis actually crashed the game back to the terminal, instead of just hanging it.

Obviously the new campaign_lib.py is incompatible.

I started a checkout of the svn version. It should finish downloading everything sometime next century, then I'll compile the new version. Until then, I guess I'll just avoid Atlantis.

OT Question: Does the svn version have different controls? I hear a lot of confusion between F1/#1 for the 'talking to other ships' commands. And something about ASAP. Is there a convenient place to read through the updates?

Thanks,

kbitz
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

the svn is very similar to the stable in terms of controls. http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 2954#92954 outlines the differences in targeting and the F# keys are switched with the #'s . besides that, you should be fine, but feel free to ask :D
kbitz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kbitz »

Thanks, I just built the svn. It seems lovely, but i have no music. I'm about to start a thread in the compiling problems forum to deal with it.

You guys are awesome.

kbitz