Garbled load screen and planets; scan lines and that

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Seriphyn
Explorer
Explorer

Garbled load screen and planets; scan lines and that

Post by Seriphyn »

Right, I possess SLI GeForce 8800 GTs with the latest drivers on XP. The load screen is teh fux00red with scan lines, while landing on an ice planet is all buggered with same kinda problems.

Obviously I'm using the latest beta version...any idea how to nail this problem? I could just go back to older drivers which still have the install files for luckily which sorts out the problem...but I'd rather not since you probably gathered this setup is optimized for Crysis and UT3 etc. at maximum.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: On the contrary, I cannot rollback to 169.02 drivers without the same problem...the 163.71 drivers i cannot install at all because of incompatible hardware...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It appears that there is a bug in the Nvidia driver we noticed it when it was released two weeks ago http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10225 so now it looks like the Windows version is also not up to snuff :( can you try dropping back to the previous version a hassle i know :)

Enjoy the Choice :)

EDIT:Looks like we wait on nvidia then :twisted:
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Seriphyn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Seriphyn »

teh n0es, but 0.5.0 seems so cool now...ice bases that are explorable, better graphics, civilian ships etc.etc.

I mean, how long will it take for a new release to come out? It took a whole year for the 0.4.3 to 0.5.0 to happen...unless hotfixes will be available? Like 0.5.1 or something?

p.s. this bug does not seem to be on the bug tracker? I do notice some planets and the wormholes are all blocky and not fully textured properly.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Seriphyn wrote:I do notice some planets and the wormholes are all blocky and not fully textured properly.
Could you please give an example of a blocky or not properly textured planet. I noticed that dds compression makes some textures blocky. best example is uranus. Not all planets have yet proper textures. I am upgrading all the low res planet textures and currently there are still 48 (out of 120 ~ 40%) planets that have lousy textures.
Seriphyn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Seriphyn »

pyramid wrote:
Seriphyn wrote:I do notice some planets and the wormholes are all blocky and not fully textured properly.
Could you please give an example of a blocky or not properly textured planet. I noticed that dds compression makes some textures blocky. best example is uranus. Not all planets have yet proper textures. I am upgrading all the low res planet textures and currently there are still 48 (out of 120 ~ 40%) planets that have lousy textures.
Well, I haven't played the new release much unfortunately but there was a green gas giant which looked rendered properly in some areas...but yea it was blocky and erratic. Light green colour thing...sorry being a guy, I only see in 16 bit colours, like windows default settings XD

p.s. on a side note, how can I open DDS files to have a look at them? Wanna see the new bases and whatnot
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Seriphyn wrote:how can I open DDS files to have a look at them?
If "with "last release" you mean 0.4.3 then many planet textures have been changed since then. If you mean 0.5.0 there is blockiness on all planet textures due to said dds compresion, but you can mostly see it only if you are close enough, means the planet at least fills your screen or even closer.

As for the tools, on linux I use gwenview, on windows IrfanView 4.10, and gimp on both systems, whereas the latter probably requires the dds plug-in installed, haven't validated it though.
Seriphyn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Seriphyn »

Nah the blockiness is very apparent, and on wormholes. playing it on my laptop I can see that, and ice bases are all rendered now. Same applies with wormholes.

Another bug, which has probably come up already, is that you can accept missions on the computer as many times as you want.
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

[edit]
Just in case, i posted the pics how they are on my system, and i think they are ok, or should they be better?

[edit2]
updated to a new photohost, the other one seems to be dead
Last edited by ()Alf on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy the Tri p :shock:
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

A pic says it all. This is probably due to your config settings, where the number of vertices on circumference is set to a low number (8-32).

For planets this is controlled by the option '''<var name="planet_detail" value="64"/>'' which in vssetup is set by the "Video" option. Try setting it to "Extreme detail" and see if the phenomenon reoccurs.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I'm hoping for a release in a month or so, that amount may vary quite significantly, but in my opinion we are set for a "Final" (i.e. not beta) release soon since most features are stable.

The blockiness of the wormhole is just due to the 3d model that was made, I believe.
People are discussing a new design for the wormholes in another thread, but that might not happen until 0.5.1
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

since most features are stable.
Oh :shock:. I really hope that the bug(?) that there are always enemy ships on your tail will be gone by then!! :x
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

That is one of the reasons there hasn't been a final release yet.

I was under the impression that reducing the number of ships flying around at any given time would solve this. Or, maybe there should be ally ships around to help out when you are in trouble.
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

Well, Uln for expample aren't really a problem, but all that is really annoying when you transport some heavy stuff and are like a fat thingy or/and want to dock at a base and they tractor you away, basicly it's just annoying, but when you are nme of other factions, it gets REALLY annoying... but thats not the topic right here ;)
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

ace123 wrote:Or, maybe there should be ally ships around to help out when you are in trouble.
That is an excellent idea. It would make it much more obvious that this is a truely dynamic universe. Pirates and patrols duking it out, your llama getting its aft nearly fried by the Aera, only to have a Confederate detachment arrive just in time to save your mostly helpless ass.