jump to xxx enroute to yyy...

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

jump to xxx enroute to yyy...

Post by ()Alf »

...isn't accurate, when you don't follow the advise which system you have to jump.
When it says "jump to xxx enroute to yyy" but you jump to zzz, it still keep saying "jump to xxx enroute to yyy" instead
"jump to (your previous starting point) enroute to yyy".

I know this is a minor thing, but hey, it's a bug and i don't know if it's already known.
Maybe buy some more insecticides :wink:

[edit]
It doesn't matter if nothing.mission or standart (in case it matters/helps to track or whatever)
Enjoy the Tri p :shock:
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

I have also noticed this happens, got myself lost on a cargo mission. i just aborted it later.
But yes it is kinda anoying.
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

Well, when you know where to go, you can use the nav-computer to find your way
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It is possible to make them recompute the shortest path between two systems.

The problem is that the missions are generated from a given path, and not the other way around, so the path is known from the start, in about O(n) time instead of O(2^n).

There would be a few ways to recompute the path...

if you were to look through all systems, I think it goes up exponentially as you span the search farther, so it might be possible to do this with a reasonable limit such as if your destination is 3 or 4 systems away, and see if there's any link between 3 or 4 systems away and anything on the original route and link them together that way.

Or, we could make it force you to backtrack, which would be simple to add to go_to_adjacent_systems.py but not all that helpful.

It would be cool if it recomputed the path after each jump, also wouldn't be too hard to write and you would only need to know some python and using the "universe.getAdjacentSystemList" function, checking each time if the result is in the original jumps list.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

How much do i have to go in deep into phyton to be able to do that kind of thing?

I have Degree on networking and did some programing into high school and college, nothing fancy tho, phyton would be a first time, tho i already did some basic stuff in Pascal and C.

Maybe ill start programing again and study phyton so i can help. any hints on where to start?
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

As i understand, phyton is wrapping of c/c++, when you know c/c++, phyton is easy understandable.

My personal problem is, that i have problems with code, when it's not mine or when i've forgotten my variables ;) .Also don't have much experience with OOP, at least i can do some rudimentary stuff with my borland builder (i miss my C64 basic :lol:) ;)

[edit]
http://www.python.org/ there are some good tutos available
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

i miss my C64 basic Laughing)
remember porting a c64 assembly language spreadsheet app that used the basic ROM FP routines to my 8-bit machine an Ohio Scientific C1P with msBASIC 1977 :lol: :lol: still got the little beastie still boots too 8) but Forth was the language i preferred at that time.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Oldest thing i progamed was on Basic in a 8-Bit MSX, The old Elite days... and now we have Vega strike. :D
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Coragem wrote:How much do i have to go in deep into phyton to be able to do that kind of thing?

I have Degree on networking and did some programing into high school and college, nothing fancy tho, phyton would be a first time, tho i already did some basic stuff in Pascal and C.

Maybe ill start programing again and study phyton so i can help. any hints on where to start?
Python is actually pretty easy to get the hang of... and it's a simple language and also has just about every utility function you'll ever need built in. So it's a great language for scripting or writing simple programs.

This code will just return the first result it finds, usually the same as backtracking, so it could be made smarter.

Code: Select all

def findPathTo(fromsystem,jumps,recurse=3):
	if recurse==0:
		return None
	allsystems=universe.getAdjacentSystemsList(fromsystem)
	for sys in allsystems:
		if sys in jumps:
			return jumps[ jumps.index(sys) :] #Take slice starting with the index of sys.
		result = findPathTo(fromsystem,jumps,recurse-1)
		if result:
			return [sys]+result
	return None
It's actually pretty simple to convert C to Python:
- Use "import module" instead of "#include module.h"
- Don't use semicolons
- Replace braces with a colon and proper indentation.
- Use # for single-line comments instead of //
- Tuples and lists instead of arrays.
- Use """text""" instead of /* text */, called docstring comments
- Use module before function names (for example math.sin versus sin)
- Never declare types/variables... one of my least favorite points since it causes many errors when something is an integer instead of a float for example.
- for loops are for iterating through lists/tuples... you use the range function loop through numbers... for num in range(100)

That will get you through a lot of the most basic points... you can play around with the interactive python shell to get a hang of things.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That wasn't the oldest for me no such thing as Basic when i first learned to code which was before Fortran a language called Forte that was actually adopted into Fortran.
There are several IDE's for Python as well and most Linux text editors have syntax highlighting for Python while in windows i use notepad++ and DrPython one of those IDE's it's cross platform so i can keep the same tool chain on both sides of the divide.

Last edited by loki1950 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Ill give it a try and start learning. lets see how far i can get into it.
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

My very problem is, that i ever was kind of allrounder (also did Blender tuto and played with FL-studio), to do things i have need of or just interested, so i never got focused on specific stuff in a deep manner to be 'good', more stayed in noob state (well, when i started to get better in c64-basic, there was amiga ;)). Also downloaded OGRE, lets see when i have time to play with this. Also have my probs with all the stuff like MSc++ (and fucking change to .net (omg y the hell always new shit when you get used to something (damn competition) ??), borland-c++, now basics tuto of phyton .......
Sometimes i think learning assembler (or more basic) would be best, but maybe i'm just too inexperienced/stupid ;)
I also never know how the quality of my english is (which might be better than my programming skills)
Seems i'm more the theoretical type than practical although i'm more practical-skilled in real life....
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah they do seen to create programming languages faster than people can find uses for and actually learn them.But there are some that have become standards in various tasks Goggle uses Python a lot so much so that the creator of the language now works for them it will also run under .NET at the byte code level.

()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

...then add things like directX and opengl (and maybe openAL)... i tried a learning book "games with c++ and directX". I never finished it, because big gaps between basics in c++ and suddenly including directX (between there were lessens of math, but i wanted to learn programming, math is another prob i can handle). The other thing, i had to translate MSVBc++ (the book used) to borlandc++, which didn't make it easier (but at least added thoughts for more understanding)...
A main prob might also be, that i don't have many ideas what to program at all to get the experience ;) Currently i'm thinking of a way how to generate a science-development (variable tech-tree inspired by game Exodus 3010 /amiga) and as secondary 'flexible interactions by other species' with player (also inspired by Exodus 3010). When i have a clue how to do it, i would love to contribute this to VS, but i would't count on (soon) success, cause that seems to be a difficult task (the way i like to see it working). It's like inventing physics ;)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

ace123 wrote:It is possible to make them recompute the shortest path between two systems.

The problem is that the missions are generated from a given path, and not the other way around, so the path is known from the start, in about O(n) time instead of O(2^n).
Well, depends on whether you're of the graph theorist or of the AI persuasion -- which is to say, whether you take the size of the graph to be O(|Vertices|+|Edges|) or O(Branching_factor^depth), respectively.
A breadth-first search would be sufficient (bi-directional breadth-first search or A* would be more efficient, but, let's keep this simple for the sake of argument), and would take time proportional to the size of the graph, but the size of the graph is exponential in the distance :). As the number of vertices in the total reachable graph in VS is ~ 2000 nodes, I don't think we need to be too overly concerned about the exponential blowup of the search space, because it's reasonably bounded.