Newbie wishlist + some bugs

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
TomCerul

Newbie wishlist + some bugs

Post by TomCerul »

Pretty game!

I get a long wait when I go into a room like the mission room or cargo room. The whole interface freezes for 10 seconds or so. Could there be a "loading" message or a cursor animation to reassure us that the system hasn't frozen up?

In the mission computer, if I look at my ship stats, it tells me that the price is 10.00, mass: 0.00, cargo volume : 1.00, name :dryad.begin
and then everything is in unjustified name : "value" format. It looks like it's displaying everything that the game knows about my ship, including it's coordinates and facing.

If there is no news on GNN, tell me.

When using the F8 view, changing targets should set the zoom level to something useful. It's pretty wierd to be zoomed to something far away, change targets to something close and see empty space beyond the target.

Pretty please tell me how much I've compressed time.

I haven't figured out how far from a planet I need to be to dock with it. It seems to be different for both planets. Mostly it seems like you autopilot to it, keep heading in, compress time a bit and hit d until it docks.

Seems like a great game so far folk. Good Job!
TomCerul

Where should bug reports go anyway?

Post by TomCerul »

It looks like there are half a dozen places to report bugs. Do you guys really check them all?
(this forum, bug section of sourceforge's forum http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=205251 , and the sourceforge bug tracker thingie http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=119507
)

If it works for ya, stick with it. Seems like it would be easy for users duplicate bug reports.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Re: Where should bug reports go anyway?

Post by ace123 »

TomCerul wrote:Pretty game!
Thanks!
TomCerul wrote:I get a long wait when I go into a room like the mission room or cargo room. The whole interface freezes for 10 seconds or so. Could there be a "loading" message or a cursor animation to reassure us that the system hasn't frozen up?
Other Windows users have noticed this bug, also, and it seems to only happen on windows. Mac and Linux users have not had to wait. (I assume you are a windows user, because you have not told us otherwise)

See this post.

Also, the GUI has been completely redone (although not in CVS yet, but looks awesome) and might be the fix for this bug.
TomCerul wrote:In the mission computer, if I look at my ship stats, it tells me that the price is 10.00, mass: 0.00, cargo volume : 1.00, name :dryad.begin
and then everything is in unjustified name : "value" format. It looks like it's displaying everything that the game knows about my ship, including it's coordinates and facing.
You are correct. This part was a quick solution to a feture request to be able to view your stats. I don't know what the price, mass and cargo volume is for, but if you really want to know some specific aspect of your stats, this is where you can find them.

Again, the new gui may fix this, but it is not finished, so we will just have to wait and see.
TomCerul wrote:If there is no news on GNN, tell me.
Could you please clarify what you mean here? :)
TomCerul wrote:When using the F8 view, changing targets should set the zoom level to something useful. It's pretty wierd to be zoomed to something far away, change targets to something close and see empty space beyond the target.
Use the F11 and F12 keys to zoom in and out.

If you have no F11 or F12 keys, edit the vegastrike.config and change them to something else. :wink:
TC (It takes way too much time to write the whole name) wrote:Pretty please tell me how much I've compressed time.
Um, there is a sound that plays when you are time compressed. The frame rate counter in the corner also divides by the time compress amount, so you can use that to tell.

If you really are unsure, use F10 to go back to normal and use F9 again to time-compress back to where you were.
TC wrote wrote:I haven't figured out how far from a planet I need to be to dock with it. It seems to be different for both planets. Mostly it seems like you autopilot to it, keep heading in, compress time a bit and hit d until it docks.
A green and red box (or octagon to be more exact) will apear around the planet when you can finally dock. (I recommend using TC (Time Compression (to speed up the time) ) until then.)
Thanks! TC wrote:Seems like a great game so far folk. Good Job!
Thanks!
TC wrote:It looks like there are half a dozen places to report bugs. Do you guys really check them all?
(this forum, bug section of sourceforge's forum http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=205251 , and the sourceforge bug tracker thingie http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=119507
)

If it works for ya, stick with it. Seems like it would be easy for users duplicate bug reports.
These bug reports are extremely old (note the dates) and have mostly been fixced. Other reports are perople who have never replied telling us any information on how to reproduce the bugs or their computer or anything.

If you have real bug reports, post them here.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

as for the GNN, once you start out, there shouldn't be any news. if you play it for long enough there should be some news appearing.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Yeah, but maybe a starting news story might be nice. Something to help introduce the universe, if nothing else.

Re: Where should bug reports go anyway?

Post by Guest »

Ace wrote:
TomCerul wrote:I get a long wait when I go into a room like the mission room or cargo room. The whole interface freezes for 10 seconds or so. Could there be a "loading" message or a cursor animation to reassure us that the system hasn't frozen up?
Other Windows users have noticed this bug, also, and it seems to only happen on windows. Mac and Linux users have not had to wait. (I assume you are a windows user, because you have not told us otherwise)
D'oh! Yeah, Win98.
Ace wrote: See this post.
yeah, looks like same problem, no resolution yet.
Ace wrote: Also, the GUI has been completely redone (although not in CVS yet, but looks awesome) and might be the fix for this bug.
Sounds like I wasted my time getting the source through CVS today then. :)
Ace wrote:
TomCerul wrote:In the mission computer, if I look at my ship stats, it tells me that the price is 10.00, mass: 0.00, cargo volume : 1.00, name :dryad.begin
You are correct. This part was a quick solution to a feture request to be able to view your stats. I don't know what the price, mass and cargo volume is for, but if you really want to know some specific aspect of your stats, this is where you can find them.

Again, the new gui may fix this, but it is not finished, so we will just have to wait and see.
cool. The information overflows the space and can't be scrolled. Guess we'll see what the new GUI looks like before worrying about that though.
Ace wrote:
TomCerul wrote:If there is no news on GNN, tell me.
Could you please clarify what you mean here? :)
If there is no news, then when I click on GNN, the two data panes just go blank. It looks broken. (Yes, I grew up on DOS and Windows where you always get a response, even if everything ran fine.)

[quote="Ace]
TomCerul wrote:Pretty please tell me how much I've compressed time.
Um, there is a sound that plays when you are time compressed. The frame rate counter in the corner also divides by the time compress amount, so you can use that to tell.

If you really are unsure, use F10 to go back to normal and use F9 again to time-compress back to where you were.
[/quote]
I did notice those two things. I tried to interpret the pitch of the sound to be an indicator of how compressed I'd gone. I think the sound doesn't change though.

I thought the FPS counter being affected by time compression was a bug. Time compression being a virtual thing and FPS being a real thing.

The one instruction I found on using time compression (FAQ, how do I get a jump drive) said to hit it 9 or 10 times. It's not terribly user friendly as is. I'm just makin' wishes and having a time compression factor: 10x would be helpful.

Yeah, I'm a snob about usability. :D

Thanks for the response. If I can get sourceforge and WinCVS to mystically align after the new version, I'll see what I can do about contributing code.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

news

Post by ace123 »

yB 4.0, we will have dynamic news working, which means that the news stories will be much better. We will also try to make news always be on the list (if there isn't any, generate some) News will be a big improvement in 4.0