Error when trying to run the game

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
countercraft
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Error when trying to run the game

Post by countercraft »

Hi guys, I've downloaded the Vega Strike 0.4.3 and when I try to run it, it gives me an error:

Code: Select all

Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in ..
Using /usr/local/games/vegastrike as data directory
Using .vegastrike.4.x as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /usr/local/games/vegastrike/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /root/.vegastrike.4.x As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /root/.vegastrike.4.x/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /usr/local/games/vegastrike
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.07
MISSION_NAME is empty using : explore_universe.mission
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin/",r"/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/",r"/usr/local/games/vegastrike/bases/"]
['/usr/lib/python2.2/', '/usr/lib/python2.2/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin/', '/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/', '/usr/local/games/vegastrike/bases/']
Could not GetProc alutLoadMP3_LOKI
vegastrike: xcb_lock.c:62: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.
vsinstall.sh: line 21: 20591 Abortado                ./vegastrike
I am running Slackware 12, with Python 2.5.

Someone knows how to fix this?

Thanks
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Firstly welcome countercraft not seen this particular but the error is not python related it found your 2.5 install but it's something in the C++ code throwing that error

Code: Select all

vegastrike: xcb_lock.c:62: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.
vsinstall.sh: line 21: 20591 Abortado                ./vegastrike 
which is beyond my knowledge :( one of the devs may be by later but it is Christmas evening so it may much later :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

First of all:
/root/.vegastrike.4.x
Don't run as root on Linux. It is wise to use sudo command instead to run individual commands as the root user, but only if you must.
Vegastrike does not need full system access to run, only to install. I have seen running it as root cause problems with the initializing graphics before due to permissions issues.

As to your problem, some places suggest it has to do with statically-included libraries conflicting with system libraries.

Unfortunately I don't have too much advice on how to fix 4.3. It is pretty old. I might try to backup and move away any ".so" files you see in the "bin" folder where you installed vegastrike (this might have to be done as root), but this is only speculation.

The only way to definitely get this working is for you to compile the program yourself.