no rooms error

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
dantelives
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

no rooms error

Post by dantelives »

I am getting a "no rooms" error in the main base hanger. I can't see the pub and other options that I am supposedly supposed to find there. I would put this in the bug tracker but I saw from a previous forum post that a bug report like this had been closed out, so I think I am missing something and that this might not be a true bug.

I am running Fedora 8 and installed Vega Strike 0.4.3 from the repositories. The following is the relevant output from my terminal.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "oceandayneutral.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "/usr/share/vegastrike/bases/ocean_lib.py", line 2, in <module>
    import dynamic_mission
  File "/usr/share/vegastrike/modules/dynamic_mission.py", line 7, in <module>
    import dynamic_universe
  File "/usr/share/vegastrike/modules/dynamic_universe.py", line 7, in <module>
    dnewsman_ = dynamic_news.NewsManager()
  File "/usr/share/vegastrike/modules/dynamic_news.py", line 261, in __init__
    self.data = DynamicNewsData()
  File "/usr/share/vegastrike/modules/dynamic_news.py", line 120, in __init__
    import dynamic_news_content
  File "/usr/share/vegastrike/modules/dynamic_news_content.py", line 53
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file /usr/share/vegastrike/modules/dynamic_news_content.py on line 53, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
dot 0.993099ERROR: there are no rooms in basefile "oceanday.py" ...
xyzwxyzwRun python:

Asking to undock
xyzwxyzwxyzwxyzwWriting Save Game test2explore_universe_difficultyHi helper play 0
I've tried downloading and installing Vega Strike myself from the website but the installed program fails to run.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome dantelives not sure what is going on here but it seems that one of the Python modules may be corrupted what was the error that the Installer threw when you tried it did you.it can also be installed in user land the installer needs one of the old compatibility libs to run so does the setup program in that version.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dantelives
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by dantelives »

Thank you for your reply. I might have not been clear in my first post about installing from the website's download. I got it installed in my home directory (so I don't confuse it with the Fedora package). However, it will not run. Here is the output I get when I try to run it from a terminal.

/home/Ray/myvegastrike/bin/setup: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in ..
Using /home/Ray/myvegastrike as data directory
Using .vegastrike.4.x as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/Ray/myvegastrike/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/Ray/.vegastrike.4.x As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/Ray/.vegastrike.4.x/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/Ray/myvegastrike
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.06
MISSION_NAME is empty using : explore_universe.mission
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/Ray/myvegastrike/modules/builtin/",r"/home/Ray/myvegastrike/modules/",r"/home/Ray/myvegastrike/bases/"]
['/usr/lib/python2.2/', '/usr/lib/python2.2/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/Ray/myvegastrike/modules/builtin/', '/home/Ray/myvegastrike/modules/', '/home/Ray/myvegastrike/bases/']
Could not GetProc alutLoadMP3_LOKI
vegastrike: xcb_lock.c:77: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.
vsinstall.sh: line 21:  2484 Aborted                 ./vegastrike
All I can make out from this is that the program cannot find some libraries but I don't understand which ones.

So, I have Fedora's package which runs but comes up with the "no rooms" error. Then I have my own install in my user directory that does not run at all. If I can figure out SVN or otherwise get the source I might try my own compile and see if that works for me.

Btw, admins, I'm sorry that this thread is probably not in the right forum.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Here is the missing lib libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: that is the compatibility lib i mentioned earlier so installing it should fix things that should also let you run the setup utility by invoking the game this way

vegastrike --setup
the svn beta version avoids this as we dropped gtk1.2 dependency and sound now uses alsa not oss so if you feel adventuring it's not that tricky to compile it been doing it my self since Fc3.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
R
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by R »

loki1950 wrote:Here is the missing lib libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: that is the compatibility lib i mentioned earlier so installing it should fix things that should also let you run the setup utility by invoking the game this way

vegastrike --setup
the svn beta version avoids this as we dropped gtk1.2 dependency and sound now uses alsa not oss so if you feel adventuring it's not that tricky to compile it been doing it my self since Fc3.

I have installed compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-139, but I also failed to start vegastrike :(

Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in ..
Using /usr/local/games/vegastrike as data directory
Using .vegastrike.4.x as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /usr/local/games/vegastrike/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/ras/.vegastrike.4.x As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/ras/.vegastrike.4.x/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /usr/local/games/vegastrike
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.06
MISSION_NAME is empty using : explore_universe.mission
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin/",r"/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/",r"/usr/local/games/vegastrike/bases/"]
['/usr/lib/python2.2/', '/usr/lib/python2.2/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin/', '/usr/local/games/vegastrike/modules/', '/usr/local/games/vegastrike/bases/']
Could not GetProc alutLoadMP3_LOKI
vegastrike: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
vsinstall.sh: line 21:  6903 Аварийный останов         ./vegastrike
Can you explain me please what means Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed and how can I fix it?

PS. I try to start it on Fedora 8
Thank you in advance
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Ras seen something similar but i can't remember the workaround i have use the package in the fedora repository with no problems you don't even need libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: as the setup app was compiled with GTK 2.0 as we now do for the SVN and beta versions so you may get it to run easier or get the source code and new data4.x from svn there have been major improvements and it is not that hard to build.