Advice for 2nd ship

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
KhymMahn
Explorer
Explorer

Advice for 2nd ship

Post by KhymMahn »

Okay,

so I have about 700.000$ and want to spend it on a new ship, something to do trade runs and the occasional bounty or recon mission. What would you suggest? Pacifier? Hyena? Dosto?
Which configuration?

Thanks for the help!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Okay... Most of my experience is with 0.4.3, but I think most still applies to 0.5.

- Admonisher: plenty of cargo space, takes two light/special and four special weapons. Can carry a lots missiles and a couple torps. Manueverability is good for a fighter of its size, but the primary armament is basically going to suck; bounty missions are probably best handled with a load of dumbfires. My recommendation, judging simply from its stats (never really used one).

- Llama: much more cargo space, and unlike the Admonisher it can take a decent primary armament. Maneuverability not so good though. Tends to get shredded by Aera fighters. Again, combat is best handled with dumbfires in the face at long range.

- Pacifier: not sure about cargo space; can take a heavy primary armament, but maneuverability is worse than the Admonisher and it has no turret mounts - not good in my book. On the other hand, it carries a boatload of rockets and missiles.

- Hyena: supposedly decent cargo space for a ship of its size, and very maneuverable, but IMHO it's seriously lacking in the speed and weapons departments. Last I checked it could only carry a single missile, and its top speed without overdrive seems to be inferior to that of the Llama. And really, it doesn't have all that much cargo space.

(You don't want a Dostoevsky. Those can be very effective against fighters and even light capships, but they have very little cargo space.)
KhymMahn
Explorer
Explorer

Post by KhymMahn »

Thanks for the advice.

I bought a Pacifier. While it handles like a brick (especially with cargo runs), it is a step forward from a Llama. I would have liked an Admonisher, but in 0.5, a stock model costs 3.000.000, which is out of my league for now. :(
But it is okay for the occasional bounty mission.

Now I only have to figure out how to switch of ECM.... and why sometimes my autopilot seems to lock in bounty missions, leaving me sitting there with no shields and no weapons! Bug?
andreasj
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andreasj »

Please also consider that many informations on ships from 0.4.3 is outdated if you play 0.5. For example many of the upgrades mentioned in the forum don't exist anymore (hull upgrades), ship-specific values don't exist or are marginally small (hull strenght compared to the strength of the armor you can buy), speed and upgrade space have been changed, and weapon mounts as well.

I think the Admonisher has now 4 heavy and 2 light weapon mounts, plus two medium and one heavy missile mount. That means it can carry a lot of firepower on it's gun mounts, probably only surpassed by the Pacifier (which is slower and considerably heavier) and the Goddard (and, of course, capital ships). The missile space is however quite small, it can only carry one image recognition missile per mount, and one torpedo. Cargo space is 150 if I remember correctly, which is enough for most cargo missions, but not for doing any trading on your own.
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

i pref the pacifier. it doesnt handle that badly, for bad handling see goddard, though i like the goddard as well. but for a second ship the pacifier wins. decent cargo hold as i remember and nice firepower
JimiJons
Trader
Trader

Post by JimiJons »

Pacifier in 0.4.3 has 14 (Or 12?) weapon mounts, correct? And holds 10 torpedoes.