Good ships for taking into enemy territory

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Okay, I hacked the Progeny to take an L2 reactor... much better. I would think that the L1 reactor limit was a bug as with the Franklin, except that the milspec Progeny also comes with a puny reactor. Looks like it was just a bad design choice.
gamelord91
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gamelord91 »

The mule could make a good ship, but I don't believe it has any turret mounts. Does anyone know why this is? I also like the Admonisher, but does anyone know where I can find a stock model?
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

The Mule has two turret mounts. Having flown against and destroyed a Mule in a light fighter, though, I'd advise you not to place too much trust in them.

(Then again, I have no idea how enemy fighter AI deals with the player having turrets.)
gamelord91
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gamelord91 »

Miramor wrote:The Mule has two turret mounts. Having flown against and destroyed a Mule in a light fighter, though, I'd advise you not to place too much trust in them.

(Then again, I have no idea how enemy fighter AI deals with the player having turrets.)
Oops, I just remembered the turrets, thanks though. If you mounted heavy turrets, and put turn thrusters, heavy armor, and great shielding, she can be a force to be reckoned with. Although her greatest strength is the ability to launch fighters, and as an avid Mule jockey, I keep a few hyenas or so in the bay to launch when needed. I just usually mount some PD turrets, and switch over to one of my slave ships.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Out of curiousity, can a Mule mount an icepick beam?
gamelord91
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gamelord91 »

Miramor wrote:Out of curiousity, can a Mule mount an icepick beam?
I'm not sure.
Katana
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Katana »

I use the Goddard for any missions that need punch. Instead of mounting light weapons, I use the tractor capacity mod on the light mounts, and then put cripplers on them. 2 antimatter guns on the light-capships, 2 razor guns on the mediums, a tractor on one of the heavy missle mounts, autotracking on all gun mounts, and I have all the firepower I need.
The amazing thing about the waltzing bear is not how gracefully it waltzes, but that it dances at all.
Raven505
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Raven505 »

I normally use a Goddard with a cloaking device and full auto tracking...oh yea I hack myself a tesla then sold the cloaking device off it and 2 of it's Lr Lasres or what ever their called I then put the cloaking on my goddard and for some reason any of my Goddards 20 mounts can take the Lr laser thing so i replaced a coulple of the friend or foe ammo with 2 of them they drain the energy pretty fast (about 4 seconds I think) but they destroy enemy ships in the blink of an eye and I still have all my torps for cap ships. :) :D :)
ertw
Trader
Trader

Re: Good ships for taking into enemy territory

Post by ertw »

Maybe a Yavok is a good ship.

It has'n t maneuverability but it has very heavy weapons.
In universe self-describing one-liner which is pretty pathetic.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

A lone yavok (same thing as the Leonidas) is no match or a swarm of nicanders/zhuangzong that can blast off all your turrets. The enemy can then bring in cruisers like anaxidamus/shundi and vaporize your Leonidas in a flash.
Rattan
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rattan »

What's good depends on what you're doing and your style of flying and fighting.

For light scout missions I like a Shizu with a pair of Razors on autotracking mounts.

For general exploration, light bounty hunting and schlepping AI cores, I like a Dostoevsky with a pair of Jackhammers and whatever missiles sound good for the job at hand.

For heavier stuff, a Pacifier with a pair each of Jackhammers, Razors and Tractors. Choice of missiles I load it with depends on what I figure I'm up against.

Probably my favourite for all around is the Dostoevsky. The Shizu is a gas because of the manueverability though, but you pretty much want to set the keybinds for it or use a second joystick to really make full use of what it can do.

How much reactor, capacitor, shield, and what "shady mechanic" mods depends a lot on how you fly. More thrust or a tighter turn radius than you can comfortably use won't do you any good even if it's technically "better specs". Don't be afraid to "waste money" by selling off and dropping back to a lower level of thrust or ditching shady mechanic mods if the ship felt better to you before you "upgraded".

I don't mess with hacking, so I can't give any advice on that. If say a Plowshare moved like a Shizu, I personally feel it wouldn't be like a cargo hauler anymore, and I like how all the ships I have handle a bit different and have different practical ranges. It's a layer of realism in the game and you learn pretty quick how heavy you can load each without them handling like a bathtub in molasses. LOL
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Rattan wrote: It's a layer of realism in the game and you learn pretty quick how heavy you can load each without them handling like a bathtub in molasses. LOL
lol great line!
marX
Trader
Trader

Post by marX »

I'm new to Vegastrike (0.5.0 upon the coldest seas) and as of now, likes the firepower the Goddard. But its heavy (or the controls are really messed up, I had to edit the config file to reduce the mouse sensitivity).
The only highend ship I can see is Goddard !
Is there any similar ships which is 'buyable' (not the paltry ones like hyena, pacifier etc, they lasts only 3 secs for my guns, no need for missiles) ?
I cant find any so far !!
Can you tell me WHERE TO FIND them and some good weapon upgrades ?

BTW, Vegastrike rocks !

Edit:
I'm at war (-100) with Aera and Uln. So, is it possible to get a good enough Aera vessel ?
I have a lot credits but I just dont find anything to buy !!!!
Its the same old Dostevosky, Pacifier, Hyena, Mule, Admonisher, Gawain etc...nothing new !!
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

marX wrote:I'm new to Vegastrike (0.5.0 upon the coldest seas) and as of now, likes the firepower the Goddard. But its heavy (or the controls are really messed up, I had to edit the config file to reduce the mouse sensitivity).
The only highend ship I can see is Goddard !
Is there any similar ships which is 'buyable' (not the paltry ones like hyena, pacifier etc, they lasts only 3 secs for my guns, no need for missiles) ?
I cant find any so far !!
Can you tell me WHERE TO FIND them and some good weapon upgrades ?

BTW, Vegastrike rocks !

Edit:
I'm at war (-100) with Aera and Uln. So, is it possible to get a good enough Aera vessel ?
I have a lot credits but I just dont find anything to buy !!!!
Its the same old Dostevosky, Pacifier, Hyena, Mule, Admonisher, Gawain etc...nothing new !!
Well, the Goddard has all that firepower because it's a heavy bomber, and all ships of that class are going to be about the same in maneuverability. The Rlaan and Aera probably have similar craft, but Rlaan is beam-only, and I don't think you'll be getting an Aera ship when you're at war with them :P.

As for weapons, I like to go to fighter barracks for guns/missiles. You can get autotracking upgrades for your mounts, but I can't remember what planet type sells them.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
marX
Trader
Trader

Post by marX »

LOL :D Uln and Aera have gone to war and I sided with the Aera !!
I'm ok with Aera as of now !!

So is there any ship of Aera or any other faction similar to Goddard ??
I need a (slightly) better handling ship with heavy fire power to attack the the starships and their defendants !

BTW, I have milspec Clyde (not sure its name but it had atleast 10 or so turrets )class ship but its turrets are pathetic !!
Also is it possible to down things like refineries, factories etc ?
How much torpedos ?
ertw
Trader
Trader

Post by ertw »

I particularly don't like bolt weapons, because the dumbass enemy ships starts turning its engines,then flies like a sparrow and makes you wasting energy. I experienced so in some bounty-missions. They start pressing they controls, and spinning in a fuel-wasting way.

Is there a missile-ordinance human fighter?
In universe self-describing one-liner which is pretty pathetic.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ertw wrote:I particularly don't like bolt weapons, because the dumbass enemy ships starts turning its engines,then flies like a sparrow and makes you wasting energy. I experienced so in some bounty-missions. They start pressing they controls, and spinning in a fuel-wasting way.
Ya... evasive maneuvers ;)

That's what they're for.

However, bolts are "more fun" than beams because they require skill - you have to wait for the right situation.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe