Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Karnizero
Trader
Trader

Questions for experienced pilots.

Post by Karnizero »

Hi all Vega Pilots.

I have just some simple questions:

What ships can use "turret" weapons? I have tryed light, medium and big ships, but when i try to buy the turret, it says to me that my ship dont support turrets.

Other question i have just realize: how SPEC device must be used? This is, i reach max speed in my ship, and then i press "A" key to activate SPEC, but it usually need much time to reach her great speed. The problem is that the number, a bit lower of the actual speed, is set to 1 much time. When this number starts to rise, then, the ship starts to travel faster...
Someone knows how to use the SPEC device well?

And the final question: What shields (not armor) does exactly? It protects from attacks, but how? Can be the ship itself be damaged although its shields were complete/undamaged/restarted?

So, this is all... Thanks for help :D
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Questions for experienced pilots.

Post by energyman76b »

Karnizero wrote:Hi all Vega Pilots.

I have just some simple questions:

What ships can use "turret" weapons? I have tryed light, medium and big ships, but when i try to buy the turret, it says to me that my ship dont support turrets.
the goddard has two. And you don't even have to buy them - just use them (hit o once or twice and they start firing. Sadly, they stop after they destroyed an enemy, so you have to hit 'o' several times in a heated battle).
Karnizero wrote: Other question i have just realize: how SPEC device must be used? This is, i reach max speed in my ship, and then i press "A" key to activate SPEC, but it usually need much time to reach her great speed. The problem is that the number, a bit lower of the actual speed, is set to 1 much time. When this number starts to rise, then, the ship starts to travel faster...
Someone knows how to use the SPEC device well?
Spec multiplys your current speed with the number you can see. Everything with a strong gravitic force influences SPEC. If you are close to a station, planet, sun, big ship, your SPEC multiplier will drop. The larger the object, the faster the drop.

Karnizero wrote: And the final question: What shields (not armor) does exactly? It protects from attacks, but how? Can be the ship itself be damaged although its shields were complete/undamaged/restarted?
well, what do you think shields do?
Exactly, they try to block the stuff before it reaches your hull. Sadly there are certain types of weapons, that can penetrate shields - so you get damaged even with shields still up.
andreasj
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andreasj »

The Franklin and Mule also have turrets, so does
the Ox (although I think in current SVN you can't
buy it anywhere). I think they are the only ships
that support turrets.
andreasj
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andreasj »

The Franklin and Mule also have turrets, so does
the Ox (although I think in current SVN you can't
buy it anywhere). I think they are the only ships
that support turrets.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

the Clyde also has turrets, as for the OX in current SVN have you tried Trantor and Ice planets they have always been rare.

Enjoy the Choice :)
andreasj
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andreasj »

I have tried some Trantor class planets, but not
many - I didn't want to buy one anyway as it is
absolutely useless for me. Even the mule is to
slow, I think the game could use some medium
sized transporter (cargo 20000-50000) that is
actually flyable and can be docked easily.
Blonde Anja
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Blonde Anja »

now now people... what are your favorite places to travel to? :)
i work as a maid on a big ol' cruise ship ;p

Princess Cruise Package
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Blonde Anja wrote:now now people... what are your favorite places to travel to? :)
Sol system! Sol system sol system sol system!

Trust me, it's supercool.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

second that Halleck sol system the wonder.

Enjoy the Choice :)
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Yep, definitely.
Although I found it hard to dock to the stations with my mule since they're moving relatively fast and a mule is relatively cumbersome and suffers from inertia a lot.
As for the other places, well, I think apart from Sol and Cephid 17 they're generated randomly, so why should one say he likes New Watsonville when in another's game there's only one rocky planet?
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

For the stations, target them and press the [home] key. This sets them as your frame of reference, meaning that if you come to a stop, they will appear stationary.

In space, speed is a relative thing- there are no top speeds, only max accellerations.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Hm...you're right there. Wonder why I haven't tried that, yet. It's what I always do to come close to capships when I fly something small.

Btw: There IS a topspeed. At least according to Einstein and some others.

If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Well... yes. Though in the newtonian physics model used by VS, it would theoretically be possible to meet or exceed the speed of light, but I think there are artificial limits due to the way the game is wired. For instance, I can't set my max speed for my llama past 12,000 m/s as measured from the sun (though I can slightly exceed it while turning), but it takes a long time at full thrust to actually reach that speed. So, in the real world, there is the speed limit of c or, practically, anything close to it. And in VS, there is an arbitrary limit for some reason- we'll call it a limitation/safety feature of the "flight computer" since it pertains to the max speed you can set. But with SPEC you never have to go over a couple thousand m/s so I don't think players will bump into the "speed limit" unless they are deliberately trying to.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

actually, fwiw, if you dig down in the VS code, there's actually a "relativity" compensator for velocity changes, but it only bothers to apply it when your real-space velocity is significantly higher than any of the ships can accelerate to in a meaningful amount of time, and I don't recall offhand whether it quite uses exactly the right equation - last I checked, it should make it impossible for your velocity relative to something to exceed C (without using FTL) but I don't remember which something (although it's probably the system reference frame). Also (unless my memory deceives me), it's not a velocity cap vs. the sun, it's a velocity cap vs. whatever your point of reference is ... which is the sun by default .
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

From my experiences flying at top speed isn't recommended, especially not with mules and other heavy ships that need ages to decelerate afterwards.
And hitting a while at top speed gets you far out into space in no time, especially if you've hit time compression several times in order to reach this speed faster. *g*