Defending Clydesdales for fun and profit

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
SGCharest
Merchant
Merchant

Defending Clydesdales for fun and profit

Post by SGCharest »

I recently accepted a Defend mission which called for me to go to X system to defend a clydesdale being stalked by twenty or so ISOs. Once there, I was told to find the Wazoo clydesdale near the Boogabooga planet.

So I charge off for the planet. Of course as I near the planet I get jumped by a couple of Sickles of the right squadron. I wipe them out quickly, and that's it. No more sickles. I locate the Clydesdale and he's on the other side of the planet.

Here's the problem: my instruments show he's at, say 1400 clicks. Boogabooga planet is at 300 clicks. So when I try to go around the planet at cruise, I get docked against my will. Then I spec about 10,000 clicks away, find the Clydesdale, and try to meet up with him. Same problem: no matter where I am around the planet, he's on the other side. And of course when I get near him, I get docked again. Meanwhile there's nary an ISO Sickle to be found.

This is a 300,000 credit mission. Once I can find the rest of the Sickles, they'll be a piece of cake (I'm in a Goddard with cloaking device, etc).

Any recommendations on 1) whether I even have to chase down the Clydesdale; 2) if not, how can I chase down the Sickles; 3) how can I stop the natives of Boogabooga from docking me?

Stephen
There I was, when the entire Aera, ULN, Luddite and Pirate fleets combined came out of nowhere. I only had one shot left. So I drank it.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Are you docking with the planet or the Clydesdale?

You can try speccing away from the planet into high orbit, and then circling it at high speed until you spot the Clydesdale. Then wait until it gets closer and drop into lower orbit.
BurninLeo
Trader
Trader

Post by BurninLeo »

Hi!

I also experienced this problem. Sometimes other ships are inside the planets and not motivated to come out ;)

I even found myself inside a planet once - don't ask me how I did that.

Try saving + restart VS to get another Ship to defend.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

You can get inside planets by flying straight at them... I think you have to use time compression or it will take a loooong time.

Most people don't realize, but planets are not solid in VS. No need for a collision mesh because you can dock in low orbit, and SPEC is so slow close to planets that it would take too long to touch down without debugging tools like TC.

This will change if the seamless planetary flight thing ever comes to be with the new OGRE port...
BurninLeo
Trader
Trader

Post by BurninLeo »

If I fly directly at a planet, my ship automatically docks.
So I usually cannot get inside it?!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Yeah... you might be able to disable that in the config file. Otherwise you should try TC, it works sometimes (and you are still inside the planet when you undock.)