Sticking with the Hyena

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Spock
Merchant
Merchant

Sticking with the Hyena

Post by Spock »

Personally, the Hyena is the best ship I've had. Ever. It's the best battling ship, even with four or more small ships. I've destroyed only 2 freighters, but I've won numerous dogfights when they're against even 3 or 4 Aeras.

See, the main secret is getting lasers and putting Autotrackers. That fixes everything. Switch your "v" button until you can see your shield and the enemies shield. If you have wingmen, hit the spot where the shields are weakest. Otherwise, just fire away. Go to an Aera system and buy their Hull Armor (Plasteel, Tungsten, etc.) and get a Second Hull and 2 more of pretty much any of those. Also, get Gun Cooling and as many shield upgraders as you can, including an ECM package 1 and an ECM package 2. I have 2 Disrupter Beams and 2 Laser Beams. The minute I go out, I'm usually getting shot. Now, this ship is small and durable thanks to any upgrades put in. That also means it's fast. Go ahead and Shelton Slide behind the whole fleet if more than 3 and attack them, always using the ECM. Use your afterburners once they turn back, and keep firing. I don't buy Afterburner upgrades, I just have the raw Hyena ones. Since the Auto-Tracking capabilities are a gift and a breeze to use, just shoot and destroy. Should they be any problem and run though, switch to flight mode. Now, I don't have tractors on my ship - But who needs 'em? I'll get my Pacifier or Plowshare if I want loot. Since I don't have tractors, though, I just destroy anybody getting near the cargo (Hehe.) and chase down the pilot for minutes, sometimes even half hours just to make SURE they don't have their revenge. Then, I get congratulated on the news, a bit of money if it was a Cargo mission, and a hell of a lotta respect.
Live long and prosper.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Hm, if you like it like that...
But the really good thing about your post is that you're not hailing the allmighty Goddard (even though it is a good ship). But using it is like playing a Hammerdin in Diablo II.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Duke Derek
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Duke Derek »

hmm. i think i've read a bit too much hype about the Goddard, i recently bought a Milspec Goddard and it's been okay, but im yet to me (metaphorically) blown away by it so far...

contemplating giving the Hyena a go... cant do any harm...
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

I've been playing around with a lot of the smaller ships recently, but have been reluctant to give the Hyena a try (I admit - part of it's because it's really ugly!). I've been starting fresh games with each new SVN version, as it's pretty easy to run cargo for half an hour between Atlantis and Serenity and build up a few hundred k in cash. I've played around, in order, with a Robin, an Ancestor, a Schroedinger, and a Dostoevsky. The masses of the ships seem funny, given their classifications, but I'm sure that'll be remedied eventually.

I've actually found the Dostoevsky to be the best so far. Being able to pack a torpedo and a couple of heavy beam arrays into such a small ship gives it a certain aura of surprise. I did the Jenec mission (got someone mad at me at Serenity, and killed the pirates that emerged when I jumped - now what? Is that it? What was I supposed to do?), and quickly destroyed the opposition (no autotracking yet, either).

Maybe I'll give the Hyena a try next. :)

(it'd be nice to have an option other than the Llama for a starting ship... ;) )
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Duke Derek wrote:hmm. i think i've read a bit too much hype about the Goddard, i recently bought a Milspec Goddard and it's been okay, but im yet to me (metaphorically) blown away by it so far...

contemplating giving the Hyena a go... cant do any harm...
well, you have to buy autotracking and replace some weapons, and add some speed increasing addons, but that is true for every ship...
Spock
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Spock »

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I brought up a nice idea for the community to play around with. I'm thinking about buying the biggest ship I can buy, but I can never seem to buy it! Any ideas on where/what the biggest ship is? I want to destroy fleets and become more a part of the war.
Live long and prosper.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

I seem to recall that the Clydesdale is the biggest? I think you can buy it on Trantor-class worlds, or at least, I've heard that come up in the context of Clydesdales. :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

it is the biggest ship that you can buy legally :wink: and Trantor class planets are the place i have seen them take out bases but be prepared for the frustration of flying it.

Enjoy the Choice :)
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

It makes some sense, I guess. Nobody should expect the handling of a light fighter in a capital ship. :)
DancesWithProtons
Hunter
Hunter

Post by DancesWithProtons »

I'm sticking with my Llama for the moment. Check out my siggy for all it has. Bye the way, is a Reactor level 3 the largest I can upgrade to for this size ship? Not sure if that is a part of the upgrade bug in 0.4.3 or not. I know it wouldn't let me buy any shields above level 3 for the longest time, then bam! I get a white lvl 5 shields, so I bought it. And will never uninstall it just in case. :wink:

Eventually I am going to get a medium-sized ship like a Progeny or Admonisher. I like the weapons availability for some of the larger ships, but don't want to lose the handling capability. I guess that is why the Goddard gets so much press, that it can mount numerous weapons/missiles and turrets, yet still has some handling capabilities, unlike larger cap ships.

As for the Hyena, even though it has awesome turning capability, I know in game I take bounty/defend missions of 18 Hyena's with no qualms whatsoever. To me they are easy ships to kill, even though they fly rings around me. I just stand still and let them come to me. Of course, my cloaking device doesn't hurt either! :D
It's got twin Repulsor beams, twin Ion beams, almost 400 Hail and Killerbee rounds, autotracking, gun cooler, Isometal armor, second hull, double ablative coating, Mult thrust, speed and turn, AB/overdrive, dual secondary thrusters, jump drive, ZX-86 radar, ECM3, max shields, max reactor, an R2 unit and a cloaking device. I mean it's a Llama and all, but...

Current fleet: Llama, Plowshare, Mule, Progeny Admonisher, Pacifier.

Current kills: 192