Whoops---I'm going too fast!

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
hcgern0
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Whoops---I'm going too fast!

Post by hcgern0 »

Folks---

It seems to me that the navcomp in VS is somewhat underpowered. It strikes me that there should be the capability to calculate and lay in a course (both in and outsystem) which the navcomp may then fly for you (real-time, not like the old autopilot or time compression scheme). Perhaps this could be an upgrade for the navcomp? Better navcomp upgrades could support on-the-fly SPEC drive usage, etc.

This would be nice, as it would avoid the problem of flying too fast at the dead center of a space station and being unable to get out of its way.

Thanks,

Henry
rubikcube
Merchant
Merchant

Post by rubikcube »

I've never ever had the problem of flying into a space station too fast, though. How did you manage that? If you are not much faster than 1x or 2x your battle speed, you should have enough time to slow down again. You become slower because spec slows down in the end as well, anyway.
Mechagerbil
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mechagerbil »

I think that hcgern0 is using th flight drive, which takes off the speed cap. This uncapped speed, which can be 100 times the battle speed, is then multiplied by the SPEC drive.

I've run into many a mining stations this way. Nowadays I just keep my speed below 3000 so that I have time to slow down, and not ram the station. However, it does create an impressive explosion.

The Nav Comp idea is good. You could go to the galley-- read "fridge"-- and get yourself something to drink. Maybe an ETA for the destination too? This part idea should probably go into the features request section.
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Computer controlled auto-pilot is a feature being worked on by a sub-group of programmers. I'm not sure I would want to use it though. A large part of the fun for me is actually flying from place to place and, if I'm not running a mission, meandering across the systems without planning first.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

I think I would use both, depending on the circumstances. I agree with both ideas, and I think it's handy to leave it up to the user depending on their mood and circumstances.

I know I would appreciate a true autopilot (perhaps even with an optional "pilot away from controls" buzzer alarm) if it let me go tend to the burgers on the grill without pausing the game or landing. ;)
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Yes, the 'autopilot' function is being looked at, the biggest stumbling block (that I recall) really concerns navigation AI.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Another big issue is the interface. Currently, VS interface is a little poor to face a full-featured autopilot. But it's being slowly worked on.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Kerrysl
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Kerrysl »

What I would really like is to be able to interface with the NavComp while on-base. When you think about it, most aircraft and small ships navigation is done BEFORE leaving port, not once underway.

Being able to plot a course that then shows on the HUD like a mission "Next jump <name> enroute to <name>" would be excellent. When in-system, then it would show "Now visit the <name>". I would think most of that functionality is already there, so it would just be a case of getting the nav comp to generate a 'special' mission, perhaps call "Course Plot".

But the real "biggie" is being able to plot the course while on base. It should be an option available in the Landing Bay.
Kerry
"Turn left at 'what' rock??"
My Fleet: Llama, Plowshare, Pacifier, Goddard, (sold the Franklin - too sensitive in controls)
My Bank Balance: 4 million credits.
My Location: Arid Planet in Ogawa System
My OS: Windows 2000 (no sound/music on Linux)
My Hardware: Duron 900, 512MB RAM, MX 200/400 Video card, AC'97 on board sound, Gravis Blackhawk Digital joystick.
rubikcube
Merchant
Merchant

Post by rubikcube »

But the real "biggie" is being able to plot the course while on base. It should be an option available in the Landing Bay.
Don't worry, if I've read the other threads correctly, it'll come soon. :-)
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

rubikcube wrote:Don't worry, if I've read the other threads correctly, it'll come soon. :-)
Great, because it's pretty important. The only reason I haven't complained earlier is because I have two monitors in front of me while I play, so I run vsnav in one while browsing missions in the other.

I find the most expensive cargo job, turn up vsnav's "maximum number of extra hops" to 2 or 3, and take any additional cargo (if I can fit it) or bounty/defend missions that occur somewhere along one of the flight paths. Very handy. The most direct route is not always the best. :)