Which race does have the "best" ships for warfare?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Artificial Intelligence
Trader
Trader

Which race does have the "best" ships for warfare?

Post by Artificial Intelligence »

I'm not much into trading, well I started running Cargo mission which seems give a good portion of cash (atm. I'm doing mission for Rezz, earning around 150.000 for each mission).

My question is Which race have the best ships for warfare with beam weapons? I'm not interested in only equiped with missile ships.

Another question: Is it me or does the Rlaan lacks of diffrent ships? And what's their ship strength? (they have a pretty cool ship design!!!)

.:=The AI Dude=:.
Last edited by Artificial Intelligence on Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Current Desktop: Glassy
Previous Desktop: 1-2

Image Linux Ubuntu warty 4.10 - i686
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

The Aelar has a nice beam array on the front.
I'm not sure what race it is, though. Aera maybe?

Edit: I've posted a nice screenshot which happens to show the aelar's beam array in action.
Last edited by Halleck on Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yep aera
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Which race does have the "best" ships for warf

Post by Silverain »

Artificial Intelligence wrote:Another question: Is it me or does the Rlaan lacks of diffrent ships?
I think its more a current lack of models with the peculiar Rlaan design.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
IxianMace
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by IxianMace »

The Aera have by far the best combat ships for sale.

The Aelar/Ariston doesn't pack a beam array...

The standard military spec Aelar/Ariston comes equipped with photon swarm mini-missiles. They're not guided missiles, but more like rapid fire bolt weapons, that do small amounts of damage per shot, but fire rapidly. Autotracking greatly increases their effectiveness, but all weapons except beam weapons are prone to miss against targets that are rapidly changing course, depending on how quickly the bolt/mini-missile weapon in question travels in space.

Apart from the expendable photon swarm ammunition, the military spec Aelar/Ariston comes equipped with six Aera military spec photon guns, which never need reloading. All mounts on the military spec Aelar/Ariston are autotracking, so I'd consider this ship very deadly, even in a one on one encounter, unless you have (and can keep) a range advantage over it.

Since you mentioned beam weapons, I'd recommend two Aera ships:

Aelar/Ariston

OR

Aevant/Areus

Six disrupter beams on the Aelar/Ariston are very effective in close range combat.

Four disrupter beams and a Ktek beam/Heavy ion beam on the Aevant/Areus are also very effective.
kilolima
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kilolima »

Hey IxianMace,

thanks for the advice.

Is there a way to get the ariston to fire all of its photon swarms or other special-bolts at the same time? Right now they just shoot one at a time until it empties, and then goes to the next. Killerbee rounds, however, all fire at the same time, or at least the 2 I had mounted.
Artificial Intelligence
Trader
Trader

Post by Artificial Intelligence »

Thanks for the insight :)

Any good places for buying Rlaan Ships? All I have seen so far is a single light vessel in all the Rlaan space stations.

Thanks.
My Current Desktop: Glassy
Previous Desktop: 1-2

Image Linux Ubuntu warty 4.10 - i686
IxianMace
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by IxianMace »

Artificial Intelligence wrote:Thanks for the insight :)

Any good places for buying Rlaan Ships? All I have seen so far is a single light vessel in all the Rlaan space stations.

Thanks.
Rlaan fighter barracks, and Rlaan starfortresses should be able to offer you some medium/heavy class Rlaan ship for purchase. Sometimes they seem to be out of stock. Just keep looking at other fighter barracks and starfortresses.

kilolima wrote:Hey IxianMace,

thanks for the advice.

Is there a way to get the ariston to fire all of its photon swarms or other special-bolts at the same time? Right now they just shoot one at a time until it empties, and then goes to the next. Killerbee rounds, however, all fire at the same time, or at least the 2 I had mounted.
I noticed that change occured sometime in CVS. In 0.4.1-0.4.2, all the special mounts fire their weapons simultaneously. Not sure what changed, or why this was implemented, if it was intentional. If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, try holding that down and see if it makes any difference.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

the change propagated over from some work being done to support some Privateer features (namely, having all missiles be fired by the missile fire key). It'll be fixed eventually - we just need to re-classify the weapons types to not be "missiles" anymore. The weapons classification system needs some overhauling anyway.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

the best ship is human:
Goddard

with this beast you can beat the sh*t out of everybody else. Beam-weapons, missiles, turrets, it has all the goodies plus enough space to put some armor and equipment into it.

The Aera-ships are looking nice, but they are too small, to put enough stuff into them, to make them really deadly.

One versus one is ok with Aera-ships, but when you want or have to fight swarms of enemies, the Goddard is one of the best purchases you can make.
baccaruda
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by baccaruda »

I agree with energyman76b,

The Goddard, especialy with auto-targeting added to your primary weapons is a formidable machine.

It maybe just too 'leet' for the light fighter fans though :wink:
gon phishin
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

well, lots of aera bogeys tear your goddard apart though, or maybe this happens to coincide with some ECM bugs, i donno.
havent played in a while, but I sure love my goddard :)
Space Pirate
Mercenary
Mercenary

Best Ship

Post by Space Pirate »

There are some nice heavy Rlaan ships that carry lots of ktek beams, but IMHO they aren't really a good choice.

The goddard is no doubt the best ship to act as a bomber- it's heavily armed to fight off interceptors and snipe off turrets, and it carries tons of torpedoes. It also does pretty well on its own against small fighters.

The Areus is smaller than the Goddard, but it still holds a large amount of missiles and it does a lot of damage. Less damage than the Goddard, but still very effective against fighters. In fact, I find the Areus more effective because it's smaller and therefore more agile. The Areus can also carry torpedoes, so with a cloaking device you can use it to destroy small capships like Mules or Corvettes (Spelling = ???). It's also easier to fly because it's smaller.

For a small, cheap fighter to get early in the game I would reccomend a Dostoevsky. I like to install 2 heavy ion beams and an autotracking system. It also has the capability of holding one torpedo. You can get a cloaking device, and then use the Dostoevsky on a bounty mission on a Mule/Corvette (both can be destroyed with one torpedo).
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

lol, well I have yet to test this in 0.4.3, but in 0.4.1 i didnt need torps to finish a mule with the goddard ;)

will take some time until i got the bucks to afford one in 0.4.3 though :) :?
mejobloggs_
Trader
Trader

Post by mejobloggs_ »

Unless you can find a non-milspec Goddard (do they exist?) definately go for the Areus. Good all round ship with torpedoes for light cap ships and enough cargo space for cargo missions. The best armour/hull upgrade (i forget which) is the Rlaan milspec one. 21600 mj of protection or something like that, but only weighs 10.0 tons. Heaps stronger and lighter than any other combination possible. Razors and Reapers with a gun cooler make a good combination for this ship.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

therer are no non-milspec goddards ;)

And as long, as the Areus does not have some cool turrets, it does not have a chance against a well equipped goddard (aka mine ;) )
Synchrone
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Synchrone »

Blast it! I *demand* an awe-inspiring Rlaan ship or two.. :wink:

Yeah.. just kidding.. although I'm still hoping..
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

May he rest in peace
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

While by default, there are no non-milspec Goddards. You can edit the master part list to add goddard.blank to the list which will allow you to buy them.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
brass
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by brass »

where can you find a goddard?
gazzy
Hunter
Hunter

Post by gazzy »

most of them at the human starfortresses, and one at ataraxia, a fighterbase near atlantis(i don't know if this is in 0.4.3, i'm using CVS)
runlevel0
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by runlevel0 »

Halleck wrote:The Aelar has a nice beam array on the front.
I'm not sure what race it is, though. Aera maybe?
Yes, the Area.

IMHO the best ships are the aelar.blank aand the aevant (I only have a milspec).

I have equipped all my fighters with Rlaan Milspec hull improvements and cloaking devices (the area milspec comes with built-in coloaking device).

My third choice is a pacifier with some rlaan, aera and confed milspec improvements, even a cloaking device. But compared to the aevant the ship is sluggish and the reactor is not as powerfull as the one in the aevant.

My aelar.blank can handle a howle wave of any kind of fighters and even blast mule.blank with her beam arrays.

Remember:
Don't accept cheap imitations, buy only from your official Aelar Industries distributor with the official Aelar Industries logo.
--
runlevel0
registered cultist of Larry the Cow #6661313
]:O
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, as for blasting mules, I can blast mule.blank with my upgraded llama. :D

2xDisruptors + Autotracking
2xLasers
-----------
Dumbfire
IR

Rlaan milspec hull (microshielding)
Isometal armor.

It takes some time, though. But a simple fly-by in afterburners while shooting technique gets me there every time.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

my goddard can blast of waves of aelar, so they can not be such good ;)

and killing mules is not a 'benchmark', killing mules is easy.. everybody can kill a mule (it only takes longer). I think it is so simple, to kill them, it should be forbidden ;)
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

energyman76b wrote:...
and killing mules is not a 'benchmark', killing mules is easy.. everybody can kill a mule (it only takes longer).
I think that's exactly what was meant by "benchmark", i.e. you can compare firepower by comparing how long it takes for each ship to destroy a mule.
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

[quote="energyman76b"]
Hi,
my goddard can blast of waves of aelar, so they can not be such good ;)
/quote]

Aelars and Areus ships, in the game, arnen't that good, but if YOU buy them and upgrade them, they can be much better. Early on, against you Llama, they can be a threat, but later, since they don't really have much in the way of hull reinforcement upgrades and the default hull is kind of weak, they can be pretty easy to kill. But, my Areus has a strong shield and plenty of hull upgrades. It can destroy other Areus' and Aelars in seconds.

Yeah you can compare how long it takes to destroy a mule but in different areas of the game they are differently upgraded (mule, mule.blank) and when you progress in the game they get stronger.