ship-jacking plowshare, any advise?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
aynonymous
Explorer
Explorer

ship-jacking plowshare, any advise?

Post by aynonymous »

trading can get a little dull at times, so i got a plowshare with two heavy tractor beams and two micro drivers, after learning the hard way that hyenas and other craft small enough for a plowshare to vacum up are hard to hit with any weapon, i got auto-tracking on the tractors. basically i'm using bounty hunting to ensure i find a suitable victim. but I don't to repeat my last disaster where i accidently shot an ally with a stray beam, so i thought i'd ask if this is likely to even work, and if not how i might improve on this idea. btw my reactor is good enough to sustain my weapons indefinitly
i taught my lil bro combat, setup a server, he gets lama, i get CLYDSDALE!
finaly vengence for all the annoyance lol.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: ship-jacking plowshare, any advise?

Post by bgaskey »

Its challenging to tractor in small fighters, as they tend to miss by a bit and end up speeding past you at high speed. Dodo's are tough enough that you won't die too much, I think, but it'll take persistence to catch much.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Maybe, a pair of Cripplers?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
aynonymous
Explorer
Explorer

Post by aynonymous »

i thought cripplers were broke, hmmm might have to make more space by giving tractor capability to my unused missile mounts
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Cripplers are wonderful things. Sure, it takes some time, but with a bunch of them you can get rid of someone for good - or even complete a mission objective to destroy a ship - without increasing a faction "kill" score (relations drop for hitting is still applied, though).
aynonymous
Explorer
Explorer

Post by aynonymous »

nice i've wound up searching for ice planets, due to the absence of suitable targets to try my load outs on, thing is i'm having difficulty locating them, rarest planet type i think, and milky_way.xml is no help thanks to it saying that cephid 17 has an ice planet.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

ice planets are rather common from my expirience, trantor or frozen methane planis are pretty rare.

as for the topic: does it help to install multiple tractors?
a vigilliance with 4 tractors would be kinda funny(granted that it does make any difference compared to just 1).
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

As far as I know, having more tractors does increase how fast you can reel stuff in.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

nice gotta try that out on sayd vigilliance.
wich leads me to my next question: are there stock versions of those available(and for the goddard prolly too?)?
yet i found alot of places where the modded versions are sold, but cant find any "blank" ones.
so i only got a milspec and wouldnt want to give away the armament that comes with it(i totally love it. its suprising sometimes that you dont even need the tons and tons of missiles that are included too.), wich would require me to have two.
...but since youd need the stock AND milspec versions if you plan on having 2...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Where you find answers to both those questions is the master_parts_list.csv and the units.csv files the first tell you what is for sale while the second defines it for the engine.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

hmmmm, even tho thats not on topic: why cant i install any shady mechanics on my milspec goddard?
the entry in the units.csv allso enlists them, the same way as on any .stock version. Oô

allso, no clue what value tells you WHERE you can actually find a ship :p

/edit: ok found the little "1" behind the shady_mechanic entries wich enable them to be installed.
wonder why the devs chose to make them unavailable for certain versions tho...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We do need a human friendly way of viewing and editing units.csv pyramid's Unitcreator app is close but is still primitive the last time I used it :( There is another editor available in Dev Tools and User Utility section that details the format of each entry.But no real help to the uninitiated.
edit/Had to balance them someway :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

weired, i pretty much thought the same thing while viewing them... :p
without any tool its just straight out painful. ~~
no wonder some wrong values(well i think so, looking at the clydesdale.merchant mess i doubt its intended that way) found their way into the listing.
aynonymous
Explorer
Explorer

Post by aynonymous »

yeah, vega strikes data set can pretty confusing to all but the engine making use of it, after seeing that milky_way.xml said that cephid 17 had an ice planet i gave up on that particular search. the only part i've managed to figure out is making the controls the way i like them, and increasing stocks of cheap things in the units.csv. how'd the the games inbuilt navcomp fail to find anything with a custom search. it might be stable but it's still making my brain hurt.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

its just a shame the nav comp doesent memorize routes youve set up in the past.
that really would be kinda helpful...
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Benison wrote:hmmmm, even tho thats not on topic: why cant i install any shady mechanics on my milspec goddard?
Benison wrote: allso, no clue what value tells you WHERE you can actually find a ship :p
Tradeable goods are in "Cargo_Import". When the category is for sale - it's there and quant > 0. When it's sometimes for sale, with set probability, quant <= 0 but quantstddev > quant (e.g. upgrades/Repair_Systems and upgrades/Experimental on Clydesdale, or upgrades/Repair_Systems, Shady_Mechanic Beam_Arrays_Medium and Mount_Enhancements on MiningBase).
Benison wrote:wonder why the devs chose to make them unavailable for certain versions tho...
Packages are sort of supposed to have almost everything welded in and hardwired. Though on the other eyestalk, doing it with repairable external parts is a bit too much.