How the heck do you dock in a Star fortress?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Dark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

How the heck do you dock in a Star fortress?

Post by Dark »

It's so confusing with all those turns and stuff. And also alot of ships crash into you which gets really annoying after a while. Any ideas?
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: How the heck do you dock in a Star fortress?

Post by eracc »

Depends on the faction that owns the star fortress. Star fortresses owned by Rlaan can be difficult. Others, not so much. The Star Fortresses that look roughly diamond shaped with "rings" on them are easy as most of the dock points are outside, as they should be.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

What? Don't you have room for a shuttle in that thing?

Please use the furthest dock out please. If you send my poor little ship to the Hag, I'm suing.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

What does the starfortress look like?

If it's rlaan (fun to dock at), then fly around until you see a triangular opening (this will be a very large opening, not a darkened area).
beal
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by beal »

Here are a couple tips I can lend- First whenever I prepare to dock, I match the target velocity of the base/ship (planets are big enough you don't have to do this). Matching velocity is the "home" key by default. What it does is match the target so that when your speed is at 0, you are not moving at all relative to the target. By default you are matching the local star's velocity, so usually when trying to dock you have to compensate for spin or acceleration of the station/ship while trying to dock, which can be a hassle.

The second thing I recommend is pressing alt+0(zero) this requests docking permission to the station and will provide green/red squares that represent viable docking points. all you need to do is fly "into" the square and you will notice the docking change to ready. If a part of the square is red, that means the view is obstructed so just fly around and approach at the proper angle.

I've not encountered this star fortress yet (I don't think) but matching target velocity and requesting docking clearance has helped me to dock in some pretty tight quarters, and I never dock without using this procedure. Whenever you leave the station just press the "end" key to match the velocity of the local sun again (default)
greenTTY
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by greenTTY »

Rlaan Star Fortress? Does it look like pyramid-shaped building? There are nested pyramid buildings inside, each has different location of its triangular opening. Pretty much like Rusian's Matroska doll. This lybrinth combined with poor texture and lighting make docking a bit challenging. :D
beal

Post by beal »

Docking might be one of my favorite procedures in the game, between arriving, requesting clearance, and seeing your tiny ship approach a massive object (using camera 8), its all very satisfying. Take your time and you can dock anything
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

I thought the Rlaan fortress got overhauled? It's like a big round thing with a lot of pylons. Or is that just in an SVN? But yeah, the original placeholder art was sodding irritating and pissed off a lot of people.

Either way, if I'm right you can get a working version. The SVN has a lot of updated content (although I'm using a damn old SVN version myself, and by the sounds of it things have really changed around, so I couldn't tell you hat the latest SVN is like).
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Yup, now Rlaan_Star_Fortress is some sort of a giant starfish-urchin hybrid with docks at "pockets". :) Fighter barracks is a (spiky) 4-ray starfish with two crossing corridors through it. Mining base is all right, too. Refinery still is a placeholder tetrahedron, though.
I docked Vigilance at human fortress, so have to assume it's about Rlaan, too.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

This is one reason why a new release is probably very necessary.
Fendorin isn't modelling/texturing for Vegastrike anymore, is he? That's a shame he was really good.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry, I got delayed by RL. I'll get split CSV support done this weekend, and with deus's patches we might as well do a py3 release. I noticed ubuntu 13.04 is giving me some trouble regarding python, too, so for a release I'll probably have to try to fix that.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe