NewBie questions

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

NewBie questions

Post by stillcen »

Why when i launch from Atlantis am i 1/2 a solar system away?

is it supposed to take 10 minuets to land on a planet? aggg. gravity well zapps Spec drive, so slowed to cawl, autopilot no work, time compression said to be buggy? so have not tried?

what are those flickering green numbers in the top right of my hud 32-56?

i appologize if this is all inane, but i did a search and found some landing on planets stuff but back in '08.

enjoy

stillcen
Frank_Valenti
Explorer
Explorer

Re: NewBie questions

Post by Frank_Valenti »

About Landing on The plant.

When you are Approaching a planet with you Spec Drive Engaged. Press D as you come close to the planet you will see a docking square appear on your screen. You can disengage or keep the spec drive engaged and keep traveling into the direction of the planet around 350 km - 400 km left between the planet start pressing D after a few intervals and it should dock you to the plants base. If you still can't do it let me know.
VEGA STRIKE WORLD
Roleplay Your life in Space
Newly Customized Website for Vega Strike Fans, Check out now
Need Admins and Faction Leaders for Confederation Faction

My Dairy as Merchant In Vega Strike Universe
[url=playhttp://vsrole.byethost14.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13]Click Here[/url]
stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by stillcen »

I start a game

launch from Atlantis

for some mysterious reason am 10.58 light seconds away

point my nose right at Atlantis

press "y"
press "\"
press "a"

wait till see flash, that though experimention, seems to be the point at which the gravity well make SPEC drive slow a ship down. and Press "a", ship start accelerating again.

hit "alt-0" (zero) till they say okdokay, which is about 412 klicks and "d" for docking.

time elasped is 6 minutes and 20 seconds

launch again

put Atlantis behind ship and max accel 6 minutes and 20 seconds to "clear" the planet.

my game speed is on Moderate.

6:20?

is this the best time?

if it is ouch.

-------------------

so can i enable time compression? without the game crashing? just how buggy is it?

----------------

Is there an in-game help screen that lists all the key commands? the Shift-m is some keystrokes but certainly not all.

----------

is there a way to save a game besides at a base computer screen?

---------------
enjoy

stillcen
Frank_Valenti
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Frank_Valenti »

I am not sure if it takes 6 Minutes to 7 Minutes.

The thing with Spec Drive is it stops when you are too close to a planet or a space station. I cant say about the time compression at this time since from what i know the function was disabled from 0.5.0 to future versions. I am sure it don't take 6 to 7 mins to dock on a planet. it is obviously slow since it is simulation space, So it has to slow your aircraft down keeping in mind the gravity and stuff... what i do know is around 500 Km on Travel mode i disengage my Spec Drive and go at Travel mode with " \ " I used D for permission to Dock and to Dock i am pretty sure around 400 km mark it lets me dock. One thing you need to realize about the Spec Drive is , You see your ship in left down corner of your screen around it you see orangish/red box above that box you see a light Bluish box which disappears once you engage spec drive, if you disengage spec drive wait for a while it will start to re-appear if you re-engage your spec drive before it comes back, spec drive wont work properly... so some times when you engage spec drive around that time when area around ur ship in ur cockpit is not blue your spec drive doesn't work properly. Once you launch.. fly for about a min with travel mode and max speed and look for the blue thing and then press A ... you need to notice that blue thing... i am pretty sure maybe that is why you arent getting hold of trick of using spec drive ....
VEGA STRIKE WORLD

[url=playhttp://vsrole.byethost14.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13]Click Here[/url]
deepspace
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by deepspace »

with mine (svn) you need to be 1000 km from the planet.
Frank_Valenti
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Frank_Valenti »

I am always reluctant to try the SVN ... i guess I should maybe give it a try after all
VEGA STRIKE WORLD

deepspace
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by deepspace »

It's easy just check it out, it is already compiled so no need to mess around.
go to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... eckout_SVN for info.
stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by stillcen »

The represintaion of my ship in the lower left quad of my screen has no box around it of any color and no spec marker.

I messed around with SPEC drive and weird....

ahh errr....

i fly a few light minutes out system, wiggle the nose of the craft around and my speed plummets.

There does seem to be a recharge time for the spec drive when i change headings, but not if keep going staight. going straight i can pop in on and off spit seconds apart.

I have retried the landing on planets thing and get the same 6:20 results.

when heading in on spec drive to a planet, my speed drops away, till i see the flash, pop off the spec drive and my speed climbs again.

i should note i am running VS on Ubuntu jaunty and downloaded the intrepid VS from GetDeb.

-------

also can not get the map command to work, per the wiki in is some flavor of M. tried shift,alt,cap,clt, do you need a jump drive before you get a map?

---------

when looking at a target and scroll throught the lower right dispaly and get an inventory of the target, but the text below is a bluur of changing items, is this norm?

-------

grrr seems like a great game

could anyone tell me how to change the docking distance of planets to Oh say 5,000 klicks? I would LOVE to play test it.

----

enjoy

stillcen
deepspace
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by deepspace »

have you tried auto pilot?
Frank_Valenti
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Frank_Valenti »

About the landing planets thing it try a new campaign and see if it fixed ... maybe spec drive is messed ... post if it helps .... i recently did 3 planetary flights with 15mins to 20 mins so i am pretty sure it does not take too long ... also check out SVN Version ... it lets you dock at 1000km away from planet as told by Deep Space ...

Map Command is Shift + M so it should work.. I used Windows Vista Works fine for me

Can you please explain the Target Scrolling thing in a little more detail.... ?

and yup it is great game u just need to get hang of things ;)
VEGA STRIKE WORLD

stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by stillcen »

I have tried a couple of new games, same results.

Frank V. if i understand you query correctly
The V, or is it M key, changes the display in the Lower Right hand quadrant, when flying in space. when i have had Atlantis or the mining station selected as a target, and cycle through the options for the LRQ display, one of the results is a display titled Manifest:. Under manifest: is what appears to be 3-5 lists of green text that cycle uber fast. The list is unreadable, but by looking at the last few letters of words that are followed by shorter words, the list appears to be the stuff one can get at Cargo exchanges.

tried auto-pilot, Shift-A, and it turns on SPEC, but is not an auto-pilot, have read that auto-pilot is turned off in 0.5.

my current plan is to download the SVN ( whatever that stands for) it seems to be the newest test version. if that is no dice i will then try the Window version (but i will fell filthy doing it :) .

i have read that SorceForge is not the best place to download from, Any better suggestions? Time of Day?

enjoy

Stillcen
Frank_Valenti
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Frank_Valenti »

Ahh The Cargo Manifest appears on left side not in the target area and it works fine i am not sure what is causing the problem did you download Vega Strike from the official website ... i recommend you use that since i have never experienced the problems you are mentioning on windows

A is both Auto Pilot and Spec when you are in Spec Mode you are also in auto pilot.

And Sourceforge is good as any other website to download from .... you must have heard wrong
VEGA STRIKE WORLD

Rattan
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rattan »

Have you tried looking at the manifest for a planet or ship or base when you aren't moving?

I run the SVN version under Linux Ubuntu. If I'm in motion then the list scrolls too fast to read, as you said. But when I'm standing still, it's fine. Not sure what would cause that, but I agree it's a bit odd in terms of game logic, so I've assumed that it's a minor bug.
stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by stillcen »

Problem Found!!!

When i went the synaptic manager to remove the installed Vega Strike, i saw that the VS program was 0.5 but the data package was 0.4.3

my best guess as to how that happened; i down loaded the VS program and the VS data package both 0.5, ran the VS program and the VS program saw that there was no data files, they still being compressed, so it was a clever little program and and downloader the 0.4.3 from the ubuntu list.

so i

uninstalled both those packages

down loaded the VS 0.5 data package, decompressed it.

down loaded the VS 0.5, decompressed it.

and bada boom bada Bing i am now playing the same game everyone else is.

Landing on a planet takes a couple minutes.

SO....... :D :D :D

Next problem. i am trying to play in full screen mode. The game keeps dumping into window, blanking out. i read the bit about compiz, and stopped in from the system manager. Still the problem continues.

and is there an in game Key chart, as in press this key to do this?

And what is that # in the top right?

And boy i Fly HORRID, the blasted Luddites shot the begeebees out of me my first cargo run to the minning base.

stillcen

enjoy
Caret
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Caret »

The number in the top right shows the Frames per Second, I'm not sure if there's any way in the config to disable it.

Have you run vssetup in order to set it to fullscreen? If you're using KDE, you might need to right click on the window border and set it to fullscreen.
Frank_Valenti
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Frank_Valenti »

glad it worked
VEGA STRIKE WORLD

stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by stillcen »

Got a fix for the Fullscreen Ubuntu issue-posted the fix over in the install-ubuntu thread, where it was also mentioned.

-------

NEXT-

why cant i mount a tractor beam?

six of them just sitting there, at the mining base. A stranded pilot and tons of cargo a mere 40 klicks away.

i assume that has something to do with open slots. my #5 slot is open on my starting llama, and it says it takes specials. got plenty of credit, and upGrade space.

----

i asked after the key map, as the key map in the wiki seems less than compleatly accurate.
noticed keys that dont work;

7 home for match velociies

x for roll right

enjoy

stillcen
Caret
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Caret »

You need to add the Tractor Capability mount enhancement (under Weapons) to one of your mounts before you can add a tractor beam. There should be at least one available somewhere in the system, either on Atlantis, the mining base or the fighter barracks. It's also useful to get Autotracking if you can find and afford it. The 5th and 6th mounts are for missiles if I remember correctly. You need to use one of the first 4.