How to arm a Dostoyevsky and what next?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Velko
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

How to arm a Dostoyevsky and what next?

Post by Velko »

First of all, hello people, been playing Vega for a week now and enjoying a lot. It's marvellous what you can get for free these days!

Now, I've made my first 3M credits and built up the Llama, bought a Dostoyevsky for the occasional bounty hunt and exploring, plus a Plowshare for some heavy trading. The question is, what is the best armament for Dostoyevsky? It has only two weapon slots + a missile rack, and I've had it fitted with a) a Distruptor Cannon and a Mini Driver, and later b) a Distruptor Cannon and an Ion Beam + DF missiles. I was not happy with a), because it seemed to take quite a lot of shooting to take even a Redeemer out. I changed the Driver to an Ion Beam and installed autotracking to both (at this time I had the money to do it), but now it seems that autotracking is a bit confused about how to aim those two very different guns. I have ITTS, and when I aim at the rectangle, Ion Beam seems to be firing directly at the enemy ship and the Distruptor seems to be firing off both targets (the ITTS rectangle and the ship). I haven't had time to test it much though.

So is this a bad selection of weapons for a Dostoyevsky, and how it should be improved? What are the different options of arming Dostoyevsky when there are different budgets to be used, ie. how should a cheap, a semi-cheap and a luxurous Dostoyevsky be armed?

And then the last question: after I can start the AI Core runs, what is the next good ship to be bought with which I can start kicking some serious Aerean butt? :wink:
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: How to arm a Dostoyevsky and what next?

Post by TBeholder »

Velko wrote:First of all, hello people, been playing Vega for a week now and enjoying a lot. It's marvellous what you can get for free these days!

Now, I've made my first 3M credits and built up the Llama, bought a Dostoyevsky for the occasional bounty hunt and exploring, plus a Plowshare for some heavy trading. The question is, what is the best armament for Dostoyevsky? It has only two weapon slots + a missile rack, and I've had it fitted with
So is this a bad selection of weapons for a Dostoyevsky, and how it should be improved? What are the different options of arming Dostoyevsky when there are different budgets to be used, ie. how should a cheap, a semi-cheap and a luxurous Dostoyevsky be armed?
It depends on the target and tactics, of course. And what sort of weapon do you want at all. I prefer to find and install autotracking ASAP and use it with scanner 2600 (0.34 radian cone) and beam weapons. Viable choices are:
1) max damage (Shield Breaker, if you're very rich and lucky - KtekBeam): to slaughter weak-shielded ships quickly,
2) max phasedamage (MW Laser): to take out guys with fat shields in reasonable time,
3) max range (Jackhammer): to shoot foes while still out of their range.
Hephaestus outstrips Shieldbreaker, MW Laser and Photon Swarm in damage, but it's short-range and eats ammo. Reaper has better range, but is slower.
There's a little tip on the performance.
Luxury- variant of Dostoyevsky is called Admonisher... or maybe Taizong. :) BTW, look at Rlaan ships (though you have to bind lateral thrust to use their advantage in maneurability).

edit:link
Last edited by TBeholder on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Rattan
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rattan »

I use my Dostoyevsky a fair bit. I like a pair of jackhammers and then image recognition missiles. Autotracking on every slot. I find it good for bounty missions. Just be careful not to burn up too much fuel in the fights, since the fuel capacity isn't huge and you'll still need to get home.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

My Personal favorites for the Dostoevsky is a pair of Hephaestus Cannons. They may use ammunition fast but they carry a lot of ammunition. Definitely use autotracking upgrades on the weapons mounts. The HC are quite short range but they are excellent at stripping shields and armor and draw only a little power from the capacitor. I tend to carry a torpedo because one hit takes out the enemy . . but they are near useless versus ecm and travel extremely slowly. I have become a fan or heatseeking missiles. They are not affected by ecm but they don't do much damage either.

What I like best about the Dostoevsky is the fact that it drifts off course very little when other vessels tend to drift sideways unless starting a run at a jump point or station directly towards it.
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

I just got one too, and I was wondering how to arm it... I decided to stick two Heavy Ion Beam on it, and a torpedo...
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark