Combat tips?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
byron
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Combat tips?

Post by byron »

I can't get anywhere in combat on vega strike! I always lose, no matter who i fight or what ship I have. Anyone have any tips for successful fighting? Any strategies or such that will make me better at combat?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Combat tips?

Post by loki1950 »

Well it depends on what you are shooting at but you do have to get close first as most of your weapons have a fairly short range especially in the starting ship which can only use light weapons anyway and don't fire missiles till you get the boggy's shields down you should be able to take out one or two Luddite Redeemers or a pirate hyena but most other ships will tear you apart before you get into range :shock: till your dog fighting skills get better.That should get you started and welcome aboard byron.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

but loki.. isnt the game's difficulty setting based on the amount of $ u hav and not how skilled u r?

or mayb it counts on skill.. cos the game gets more difficult, the more skill u nid. :P
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

but loki.. isnt the game's difficulty setting based on the amount of $ u hav and not how skilled u r?
That's right more cash in the bank more opposition but the skill of the AI ships does not change that much just their load outs and number so succesful combat depends on your own skill level espeacailly at the beginning i still remember my fummbling around when i first started getting use to the pyhics model as it is not like a lot of space shooters that have very manuverable ships an other trick is to use the Shelton Slide key so you can keep shooting as the tareget ship goes by you and even when its behind you :D and your velocity vector stays the same.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
byron
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by byron »

Okay, I will show my ignorance here. lol. What is the shelton slide? And how do you do it?
snaprag
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by snaprag »

byron wrote:Okay, I will show my ignorance here. lol. What is the shelton slide? And how do you do it?
I've only been playing for about a week, so I hope I am fully correct. This is how I have come to understand how it works through trial and error.

Press the " ` ". It allows you to continue on your current vector at the speed in which you pressed it at. It toggles your forward compensators. When your FCOMP is active, when coasting, you gradually loose speed and are able to change direction. With the FCOMP off, you just slide. It allows you to keep going ( keeping it very simple, north) at X velocity. You will be free to spin around and shoot at enemies behind you (south). You can use your thrusters to increase and decrease speed and slightly alter course. It's a great way to conserve gas also.
byron
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by byron »

snaprag wrote: I've only been playing for about a week, so I hope I am fully correct. This is how I have come to understand how it works through trial and error.

Press the " ` ". It allows you to continue on your current vector at the speed in which you pressed it at. It toggles your forward compensators. When your FCOMP is active, when coasting, you gradually loose speed and are able to change direction. With the FCOMP off, you just slide. It allows you to keep going ( keeping it very simple, north) at X velocity. You will be free to spin around and shoot at enemies behind you (south). You can use your thrusters to increase and decrease speed and slightly alter course. It's a great way to conserve gas also.
I will have to try that. Sounds cool. And useful. :-)
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

byron wrote: I will have to try that. Sounds cool. And useful. :-)
it IS useful.

like for example.. u r doing a clean sweep missions somewhere in the universe.
and u need to destroy lets say 2 mules (i had before).
u probably dont want them to hit you.

use shelton slide!

when going past them, just press the "`" button and fire them as you pass.

here's a small tip:
when fighting capships (dunno if a mule is considered one for luddites), press "b" to cycle thru the subunits - turrets.
kill the turrets then kill the main thing. :mrgreen:

so with shelton slide, u probably just circle the capship.
in my case wif my new derivative, i go head on with it.
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?