Anyone know how to earn money quickly?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Anyone know how to earn money quickly?

Post by Munno »

I have a Llama, I can't do anything with Uln and Forsaken as they are chasing me accross the galaxy and I'm at war with the Aera. Anyone got any ideas on how to make money? Oh and Celphid trading seems pointless as I'm just killed by Uln or Forsaken cap ships...
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Anyone know how to earn money quickly?

Post by CLoneWolf »

The quickest way ever will always be hacking your saved games, be it for cash or faction relationships; but, if you prefer to play "cleanly" like me (enjoying the travel and the sense of progression more than the destination), then your current situation might be next to unrecoverable and starting a new game might be the next quickest way.
If you restart, you might plan in advance a safer course of action, based on what happened to you so far and on all the hints you might get from older threads in this forum :)

Some sparse, absolutely non-mandatory suggestions might be:

- Start with trading, but not overloading your Llama too much if that's what makes pirates go after you.

- Mix that with safe patrol missions that have NO occasional encounters, safe money for almost no extra time, as you can trade while patrolling.

- Since pirates will become an issue sooner or later, and they have friends, and your initial relationships with them are below 100%, sweet talk (F1 spam) all the Uln, Forsaken and LIHW ships you meet, since day #1. Boring and tiring, but long trade routes will give you some time for that. If you build a "relationship reserve" that way, you'll be able to withstand occasional unavoidable pirate kills without making new enemies all of a sudden.

- Avoid all combats until you have some money to improve your ship a bit, especially on the defensive side (big reactor and quad shields, armor, ECM, big overdrive)

- Once your ship is suited up, accept some bounty missions against Luddites. Money boost + relationship boost in a short time (unless you choose a mission in a system far far away :) )

From then on, you should have decent money and loads of friends, hence a lot of freedom of choice for your future.
By the way, you might decide to buy all the Aera goodies you like before starting a war.

All in all, as grandpa used to say, "Keep a low profile, my son, that's all you need to know. Speed'n'greed can light your day, then burn it in one go." :mrgreen:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

I'm moving this thread to the gameplay tactics subforum, as it seems more appropiate. On-topic, I think you may have a good use for this thread.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

I was going to restart anyway, as my problem is now 6 times worse... Andolians and Aera (I was already at war with them from start...) joined and now I have about 20 capships chasing me! Almost everything I do is high risk and a almost certain death operation! :( Oh and I checked that thread and its damn complicated but I see the logic in it. I would rather figure these things out for myself, more fun that way. ^^

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Munno wrote:I would rather figure these things out for myself, more fun that way. ^^
nice thinking. just be patient - the first time I played I was just as pissed as you. :)
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Is there a way I can check how friendly factions are towards me? I think I knew before but I've forgotten... :oops:

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Munno wrote:Is there a way I can check how friendly factions are towards me? I think I knew before but I've forgotten... :oops:
When docked, check the Info screen; computer interfaces differ a bit, but most often it's in the Mission or Upgrades screen.
There you'll find a complete list of your current relationships.
When in space, press Shift-M to see the navcomp, click on Mission, you'll see the 1st part of that list (I've never found a way to check those that don't fit my screen, dunno if that's possible). Shift-M again to hide the navcomp.
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Ohhh I remember now... Oh and info seems to be on all screens be it Cargo, Mission or Upgrade. Thanks! :D

Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

I do clean sweep missions for money. They pay out tons of cash!!! If you go to do a clean sweep mission, make sure your prepared to fight, and more importantly make sure that you pick a mission that requires you to kill ships from a faction that hates you, otherwise they will just run away and you will never complete the mission. I generally do the ones that make me kill Aeran Merchant Marines in the Purist region, just because I never see any Aerans around there and I never have to worry about running away all the time..

Hope I helped you. :mrgreen:
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Hmm... I think I should try that. The Atlantis - Serenity runs out of high paying cargo after a while so Clean Sweeps against Aerans seems another option... Finding another good route is damn hard lolz.

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

If you want to use an extremely fast and agile ship, you could choose the shroedinger. I used to do the scanning missions (already forgot the name xD) on which you did not have to kill anyone but there was the possibility that enemies attack me. With that ship, you can use invisibility and run like speedy gonzales throughout the system, ending the mission in a blink and gaining quite a money. anyway, those are my 2 cents
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

Hmm... I'll get that when I have earned enough for it, I think having a fast ship will be easier to explore and find new trade routes. Also, whatever those scanning missions are, I will try later.

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Munno wrote:Also, whatever those scanning missions are, I will try later.
They're classified as Patrol Missions; some are totally safe, some say "possible X encounters"; these ones, unlike the Clean Sweep missions, require no kills at all to complete the mission, so quick (eventually cloaked as suggested) evasion will work, and also save cash you'd spend on repairs if you got caught in a fight :)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:some say "possible X encounters"; these ones, unlike the Clean Sweep missions, require no kills at all to complete the mission, so quick (eventually cloaked as suggested) evasion will work
Yep, these are the best bunk for the buck (or however you say that :P ). The risk of getting caught by "possible x encounters" rises the payout alarmingly (especially against aerans iirc), while the cloaking device prevents ANY enemy from blasting you to bits.