Living to fight

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
lenish
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Living to fight

Post by lenish »

While playing the game I've made some enemies and I have some pretty good ships of my own. With my fighter I can usually kill 10 to 20 other fighters (at least the ones I've run into so far, assuming they don't gang up on me too much) before absolutely having to land somewhere for repairs. With one of my larger ships I can usually even take down two or three of those Aera battleship things (I forget the name of them, but they're big and mean).

I can fight and hold my own pretty well, but, eventually my ship will take damage (I don't rely on missiles, so that's a nonissue), so, what do you guys do to land somewhere for repairs assuming you are somewhere where enemies are hunting you down but where there are also friendly and/or neutral NPCs.

What do you do when you go to a completely hostile area and need to land or run to another sector?

I haven't really made any progress on this, and if I get in either situation I usually end up dying.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Living to fight

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome lenish sometimes you can land on the capital ship that is attacking you :shock: and do repairs there and re-arm :wink: yeah it's a bug but have fun :lol: And landing on the planets is just as easy it's surviving till the docking clamps take hold that can be tricky.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
lenish
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by lenish »

Yeah, its the surviving until you can dock I have trouble with. Planets are just far enough away when you get out of SPEC that its hard to get to them and avoid getting hit by everything the enemy throws at you without temporarily giving up on heading toward the planet in my experience.

Landing on capital ships or stations though is another issue, as its easy to accidentally shoot them or run into them if you are coming in with people shooting at you. X_X
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

if you are using a fairly fast moving (i.e. not bogged down by heavy cargo) starship, I prefer to land on planets, especially oceanic, bio (any), or trantor (although ice, frozen ammonia, and tropical work well too). My technique is to run towards the planet and as the spec drive is slowing down I switch from autopilot to manual spec and punch the thrusters key (`) until the spec drive multiplier drops to 1 at that point it is usually just a matter of a couple of km before you are close enough to dock. Remember to manually deactivate the spec drive as you cannot dock with it active. The faster the ship the faster this works .. for instance using a gawain or derivative which have excellent speed it is almost instant when dropping out of the manual spec but with the LLama, Pacifier, or Admonisher I usually have to wait a couple of km before I can dock. While I am waiting to be able to dock I am punching the overdrive .. putting the ship in travel mode helps to keep speed up until you can dock.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

I'll second the advice on planets, and if you really got it coming in bad from all directions, here's another pointer or two:

Use the Shelton Slide. Get your ship running full tilt for the planet, then turn off the directional compensators (backquote (`) key). That way, you'll stay on that vector, hitting 'd' now and again until you finally land/dock. Meanwhile, you can turn and shoot at your attackers wherever they are, and if you have autotracking mounts, you don't even have to aim too much. Just make sure you lock in your target. (If you DON'T have autotracking, what the hell do you think you're doing??? Find the nearest CommCen, and buy some NOW!)

Also, if you haven't been into Rlaan space, you should consider a little trip. Their fighter bases and star fortresses have a couple of VERY nice toys you might enjoy. I'm partial to the Ktek beam, myself, especially after making short work of a few pirate Plowshares. The phrase "hot knife through butter" comes to mind...
Hern
Trader
Trader

Post by Hern »

I just tap the 'a' key when spec ends, can usually get really close before nothing happens. Only works when you are loaded though.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

One of my tricks is to leave spec early, far away from other ships, then switch to TRAVEL mode "y" and accelerate to faster than 1500-2000 m/s. Now I'm traveling at the planet FAST with shields up. This has worked out good for approaching planets and traversing Jump-Gates (on the jump gates you exit at the same speed as entry). However it can be an expensive maneuver in fuel.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

JsnMtth wrote:One of my tricks is to leave spec early, far away from other ships, then switch to TRAVEL mode "y" and accelerate to faster than 1500-2000 m/s.
Try that with an Ox :lol:

Now seriously, that can be good if the enemy is waiting at the place... but what if you got a buncha enemies in your tail? :shock:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

MC707 wrote:
JsnMtth wrote:One of my tricks is to leave spec early, far away from other ships, then switch to TRAVEL mode "y" and accelerate to faster than 1500-2000 m/s.
Try that with an Ox :lol:

Now seriously, that can be good if the enemy is waiting at the place... but what if you got a buncha enemies in your tail? :shock:
Then, you might want to add a Shelton Slide to the mix. That way, you can keep plunging planetward as you turn to face your pursuers and "persuade" them to reconsider. Just remember to keep tapping that 'd' key until it takes.

And be ready to fight your way off when you relaunch. :wink:
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

Code: Select all

but what if you got a buncha enemies in your tail? :shock:
In a Llama I SPEC into a jump gate at less than 1000 m/s for quite a while (shields down). During that "in spec" slow deceleration process, fighters can easily attack me because they can fly in normal combat at that speed . So I'm a sitting duck (getting shot at) with no shields :o .

By stopping spec further away from the jump-gate I can leave spec (decelerating from FTL to combat speed) and bring shields up as fast as they charge. Even if I have enemies on my tail, its better than letting them shoot me while my shields are down and I'm in autopilot. Since I can't maneuver well anyway, why not set course and accelerate to a speed THEY can't maneuver well at either?

It works for planets too, but with a Jump-Gate I get the extra bonus of exiting at high speed and clearing it's gravity well. There really is no point with a small station because docking is a more delicate procedure and you typically can SPEC in pretty fast.

EDIT: Never been brave enough to fly an OX, I'll have to check it out.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

JsnMtth wrote:

Code: Select all

but what if you got a buncha enemies in your tail? :shock:
In a Llama I SPEC into a jump gate at less than 1000 m/s for quite a while (shields down). During that "in spec" slow deceleration process, fighters can easily attack me because they can fly in normal combat at that speed . So I'm a sitting duck (getting shot at) with no shields :o .

By stopping spec further away from the jump-gate I can leave spec (decelerating from FTL to combat speed) and bring shields up as fast as they charge. Even if I have enemies on my tail, its better than letting them shoot me while my shields are down and I'm in autopilot. Since I can't maneuver well anyway, why not set course and accelerate to a speed THEY can't maneuver well at either?

It works for planets too, but with a Jump-Gate I get the extra bonus of exiting at high speed and clearing it's gravity well. There really is no point with a small station because docking is a more delicate procedure and you typically can SPEC in pretty fast.
While reading that, I imagined doing that with a Mule. And by thinking that, I just thought if it will ever be possible to maneuver a big ship with turrets, with multi players. For instance, I pilot a mule, my second brother mans the top turret and my third brother mans the lower turret :twisted:. Awesomeness.
JsnMtth wrote:EDIT: Never been brave enough to fly an OX, I'll have to check it out.
You'll be surprised. Its very different from flying any other ship.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

one fine day, i decided to try to hack my save file.. XD

changed my llama to goddard.milspec.
worked quite well... but the only drawback about tat is the maneuverability.
you turn. yea.. it doesn't respond so much.. like you turn (let's say) 30 degrees and u wanna stop.
it does not.
turns for another 5 to 10 degrees before it stops.
you already missed your target.

so.. now im finding a very upgradable (yes.. i mean very.. something close to 10,000 upgrade range = ok), fast and reliable in terms of maneuverability...

any suggestions? i tried out pacifier before... pacifier.milspec.. (i luv milspecs =O) didn't like it so much.. would like more point, click (LMB) and kaboom. not too many missiles - if yes i prefer locking on...
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

parkel wrote:one fine day, i decided to try to hack my save file.. XD

changed my llama to goddard.milspec.
worked quite well... but the only drawback about tat is the maneuverability.
you turn. yea.. it doesn't respond so much.. like you turn (let's say) 30 degrees and u wanna stop.
it does not.
turns for another 5 to 10 degrees before it stops.
you already missed your target.

so.. now im finding a very upgradable (yes.. i mean very.. something close to 10,000 upgrade range = ok), fast and reliable in terms of maneuverability...

any suggestions? i tried out pacifier before... pacifier.milspec.. (i luv milspecs =O) didn't like it so much.. would like more point, click (LMB) and kaboom. not too many missiles - if yes i prefer locking on...
I actually LOVE the Pacifier. It is an extremely efficient ship in terms of butt kicking. Its firepower is just... glorious. Hell, I once got pissed off and blew four Yeoman freighters in a single place and battle. On the other hand, I love piloting the Goddard BUT not to fight with it. Its repair costs are just ridiculous, so I prefer to have my good 'ol Pacifier.

I have heard the Franklin to be a lovely ship, though I prefer the firepower of the Pacifier. So yeah, you could try the Franklin, since you say you want more response to pilot your ship, the Franklin should do a good job.
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

franklin.. is a... andolian ship...

VSWiki doesnt provide much info - how many weapon slots, handling or anything.. i think ill create a save game and hack it out to see. =P

thx. =D
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

parkel wrote:VSWiki doesnt provide much info - how many weapon slots, handling or anything..
Yeah the wiki is pretty outdated in certain areas. For instance, the Franklin is (like many other ships,) still marked as open and no progress done in the development:3D models wiki page :roll:
parkel wrote:i think ill create a save game and hack it out to see. =P
Yeah that seems to be a nice idea :P
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

You could also browse the units.csv file and look at the in-game ship stats.