So what ship are you flying?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Re: So what ship are you flying?

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I like to turn the pacifier into a heavily armed free trader. I use lots of cargo upgrades to more then double the cargo capacity. I find that the pacifier being significantly slower is more easily taken out by enemies (esp aera or cap ships). The key to the lancelot is speed and keeping the shields to the enemy and destroying them quickly (hephaestus or razor ... or possibly reaper .. haven't tried the reaper yet). The razor has a nice reach compared to many other weapons. (the mini and micro drivers have great reach but just don't seem to do much damage and fire rather slowly). I found the hephaestus and razor make very short work of most enemies so the Lancelot is not in the fight long. Once I kill the specified target I then run. I usually need to lead just a tad more than the sensors tell me to (I use either the best intermediate or best advanced sensor .. and I don't mix beam with guns .. there is no lead as long as you have beams so it messes up gun lead information.).
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

I played around with hacking capships until I found...
The Beholder :shock:
I hacked it, then got attacked by a 25 wings (wing=10 ships in my book) of Goddards, Lancelots, Gwains, etc. Plus a bunch of Rlann and LIHW capships.
Suffice it say that, when one shot from the "unknownheavybeam" can pwn a Leonidas capship, it could pwn a bunch of Rlann capships. :twisted:
Only problem with the Beholder is it "goes through fuel faster then a Rlann can spend credits on antique pop-art." :) It's also trickier then %@$&^%#! to aim-it has a great turning speed, but it turns so fast you can whip by something before you can press the spacebar. Only good thing about the turning speed it that I can now truly go "death blossom" in the middle of a bunch of Dodos... 8)
unoriginal
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by unoriginal »

I'm now flying a Tesla which is by far the best ship I've flown. Yeah, I edited a few files to make tesla show up in the Confed/MiliSpec list. LR Pminus beam mk2 (something like that) is just great and I can take out just any capship with it. My only fear is another star ship with Penetrator or Adv torpedoes or LR Pminus beams because of their great damage. I love killing aera's from 160 kilometers away with my pminus beams! It's much easier now that I don't have to chase and aim (It has autotracking). Plus those turrets are also pretty good when I'm not aiming in the targets direction.

I did also try archimedes but it's HUGE and VERY hard to maneuver, landing on other bases can be troublesome if you collide with them (BOOM!).

I also like Goddard a lot because I've destroyed thousand of ships with it and killing capships is also easy, just make sure you have enough adv torpedoes armed and your enemy will go to hell.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

My latest fun is chasing Luddite Redeemers with a Robin. It is a lot of fun . . at least until the aera show up. It is a challenge though. Not like using a Goddard of Lancelot on the Luddites.
Dark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Dark »

I've been flying a Milspec Derivative. I'm still trying to find a good setup for it though.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

atm i must admit that i change my ships like my undies, ive prolly spend more money on shipping my vessels to a different system, than i actually needed to buy any of those(well except for the ones with an insane price).
the ones that provide a somewhat meaningfull cargo hold are waaaaaay too sluggish.

if i dont plan on shipping cargo, ill stick with the gawain for now.
ok, only 2 missiles per dock really sucks big time, but i havent found anything with the gawains pace yet, that provides the same fortification.
i get nailed more often flying a goddard or adomisher than in the gawain.

the adomisher makes a great multi-purpose craft tho. sure its cargo hold isnt all that big, but enough for a decent ammount of ai cores, and it sure packs a HUGE punch for a ship of that size.
if it had torpedo bays instead of a single shot launcher, id prolly say its the best ship ingame.
for now i tend to say this is true for the goddard however, even tho i havent ever found a stock version, and the mil-specced one refuses to work with any shady mechanics.
i still prefer the gawain tho, coz with a proper setup its nearly as fast and nimble as my shroedinger(yeah i know its total crap, just wanted to test it out), and that with lvl12 shields...

/edit: ive finally managed to get all desired shady mechanics and stuff for my nicander, and must say that it slightly beats the gawain.
both ships have enough room to fit high lvl shields, reactors, capaciators and have a huge acceleration, albeit the gawain or lancelot are quite reasonably faster.
the highborne vessel is kinda nice, coz you can fit a repulsor or tractor and a crippler togeather with your basic armament, but a nicander with 4 razors a 25 pack of breeze rockets and 3 leecher missiles simply shreds anything that dares to come close to you.
you cant push stuff around and such, but if you need to kill a couple dozend of pirates real fast thats totally your vessel of choice.
did i mention its 3x larger fuel capacity compared to the gawain(wich is really a pain on this one)?
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

This must be "Reply to really old posts." month? ;)

My current ship in my newly started game (a recent download and build from SVN) is a venerable but pretty darn good Pacifier. No, it is not a "speed demon". But, it is cheaper than a Goddard or a Gawain and it can carry torpedoes and it can have a decent load-out of weapons. If you do not hunt capital ships with torpedoes, you do not have any clue as to what you are missing. :) Plus the Pacifier has a freaking huge upgrade volume of 2500 when compared to other ship its size. It also has a hold volume of 1000, which means it can carry plenty of AI Cores and PAI Wetware to get some cash. Yeah, it's old. Yeah, it's "slow". But when you can kill a capship, why run? :D
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

as for the guns you will find that the beam weapons are a bit more effective but you do need auto-tracking on the mounts so that it stays on target longer
beamweapons have a major drawback tho, if your not careful and have insufficent reactor power for sustained fire(wich is the case for allmost anything short of a goddard and vigilliance), you throw your shield hps right at your opponent if you hold down the fire button after capaciators are depleted. ;o
just "figured that out" and got wasted by a bunch of forsaken freighters. -.-

as for the pacifier, yeah its an awsome option due to its vast cargo hold and upgrade space.
if you dont want to swap ships all the time, in case you found a commerce centre/trantor planet you havent leeched out yet, your dont really have much else you can go with really.

alltho its kinda nice to have something that(even if its allready sluggish as hell) doesent really suffer from additional impact when stuffed with crap to the roof. ~~
if you intend to transport more than just ai cores, you really need a mule or vigilliance(screw the ox, really. its just WAY too slow)...

thats why the llama kinda sucks, if you really outfit it with high lvl shields and reactors, you have like 700+% base mass when "empty".
now add another couple hundret tons of goods, and it takes you ages to even land on a planet.
trying to land on a relay with 20 000% mass allso kinda takes some patience i dont have. :p
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

eracc wrote:a venerable but pretty darn good Pacifier. No, it is not a "speed demon". But, it is cheaper than a Goddard or a Gawain and it can carry torpedoes and it can have a decent load-out of weapons. If you do not hunt capital ships with torpedoes, you do not have any clue as to what you are missing. :)
Eh, even Dostoevsky and Convolution have a torpedo, big deal. Admonisher has most of Pacifier's weapons, decent hold and still can move more lively than a carriage full of elderly royals. :wink:
eracc wrote: But when you can kill a capship, why run? :D
Taizong does that, and still can dance. :)
Genghis Prawn wrote:and I don't mix beam with guns .. there is no lead as long as you have beams so it messes up gun lead information.).
Until fixed, anyway.
But autotracking beams allow to destroy missiles, on ships with no PD. Which is even more important on light fighters with weak shields and hulls. So usually my choice is beams, unless the ship has rocket slots the only bolts are Cripplers, just to have something useful in light / special slots.
Dark wrote:I've been flying a Milspec Derivative. I'm still trying to find a good setup for it though.
My thoughts: it's maneuverable, but still got very little upgrade volume (less than Dostoevsky) and is fast (between Dostoevsky and Lancelot), so my guess it's best to optimize for fly-by whittling and max out phasedamage: Good shields are necessity, and on fast fly-by nevermind if your reactor barely pulls them - it's more about capacitors anyway. The rest of volume goes to the afterburner and scanner.
But Derivative's Milspec pack has lousy shields and armor, so basically for 1.5x price you take a lot of extra mass just to have a good scanner without spending upgrade volume? A better overdrive would partially compensate for this, but the main advantage is acceleration, so it's a dubious idea. It also disallows shady mechanics, though most of it isn't really useful when you want to keep both mobility and durability. Except reactor tweak.
So, shield 12 overdrive 4 reactor 3 capacitor 2, plus top scanner, repair droid 1, ECM, missiles and whatnot. Or if not milspec - reactor 2 + extra recharge + caps 6, overdrive 5, scanner 2610.
Medium slots - Light Ion Beam (efficient, has phasedamage, short range), maybe Razor (great damage, power hog) or turn to special and get Crippler (very slow, otherwise good).
Heavy slots: Reapers - eats less than Razor, less total damage rate, but more phasedamage and 2x faster, meaning less misses against a maneuverable target. Hephaestus-mini - even faster, rapid-fire, eats less power, causes about as much damage as Razor with better shield penetration (450+200 vs 600+60 per second) and probably better critical damage chance (more individual hits). Ammo volume 20x less, meaning you carry more total damage worth in ammo.
But then, there are good beams for Heavy slots - MW Laser (long range) and if you want to visit our arthropodean friends they sell KtekBeam (no phasedamage, but power-efficient and devastating at short range) - so why mess with bolts?
Benison wrote:beamweapons have a major drawback tho, if your not careful and have insufficent reactor power for sustained fire(wich is the case for allmost anything short of a goddard and vigilliance),
Compared to what? Pugilist consumes 8/0.25s = 32 units/s (x100MJ/s), Ion Burster eats 16/.65s = 24.6/s. Light Ion Beam or MW Laser eat 20 when on, average 10/s. Ktek beam is the strongest Heavy beam, in the long run Razor eats almost 2x more, Ktek bolts 5x more. Both are Medium-slot bolts, more damaging, but don't reach its efficiency (Damage/Consumption = 0.38).
Benison wrote:thats why the llama kinda sucks, if you really outfit it with high lvl shields and reactors, you have like 700+% base mass when "empty".
now add another couple hundret tons of goods, and it takes you ages to even land on a planet.
Well, yeah, but it's a truck, it's not going to win against Aera fighters or even Thales anyway, so no point to arm it this well. On the other eyestalk, good afterburners + Engine Safety Override helps.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

Compared to what?
compared to ANY bolt weapon. those dont suck your shields empty when the capaciators are empty.
they simply wont fire anymore, whereas beams will allso consume power used in your shielding, until your ALL out of energy(not just the cap).

btw, ive fitted lvl6 boosters in my llama, when its fully loaded any mule will outrun it with no problems.
...wich is kinda not what you want really. ;)
IF your that slow, you wanna make sure its at least worth the time spent... :p

/edit: i still prefer the franklin over ANY other vessel.
you get the same turret armament(well ok, less hp but the same weapons) as a goddard, but still go at 2300ms combat speed.
4 razors are enough to even take out capital ships without having to worry about ammo, and its slim design makes it pretty hard to hit, wich wouldnt even be nessesary, considering that you can fit lvl13 quad shields and have enough power-output to still build up capaciator energy while shields are charging.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Benison wrote:
Compared to what?
compared to ANY bolt weapon. those dont suck your shields empty when the capaciators are empty.
they simply wont fire anymore, whereas beams will allso consume power used in your shielding, until your ALL out of energy(not just the cap).
:shock: That's weird. I just took reactor 2, capacitor 1 with shield2 11, Jackhammer + Heavy Ion Beam. Weapons suck caps dry in few seconds, then turn off, but this doesn't affect shields in any way. Adding 2xRazor - the same, only quicker.
(last SVN)
Benison wrote: btw, ive fitted lvl6 boosters in my llama, when its fully loaded any mule will outrun it with no problems.
...wich is kinda not what you want really. ;)
Well, yes, Llama is more suitable for hauling booze/gases than heavy metals to the top, but i don't see how it could affect planet landing, since normally (if you don't want to waste fuel on constant acceleration) it's just drop from SPEC then wait - you're already approaching at the speed limit and it doesn't change. Unless autopilot managed to miss the planet - then it's pain, of course. Just toggle it several times while approaching, dropping from SPEC gives autopilot more time to correct.
Benison wrote:/edit: i still prefer the franklin over ANY other vessel.
you get the same turret armament(well ok, less hp but the same weapons) as a goddard, but still go at 2300ms combat speed.
4 razors are enough to even take out capital ships without having to worry about ammo, and its slim design makes it pretty hard to hit, wich wouldnt even be nessesary, considering that you can fit lvl13 quad shields and have enough power-output to still build up capaciator energy while shields are charging.
I don't see a reason to prefer Razor over Reaper and/or pair of good beams. Also, turrets are buggy, while autotrackers usually allow to roast missiles just as well.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Benison »

strange, i use the actual svn, i my shields get sucked out by beam weapons.

as for the lama: took me 15 minutes to acellerate to over 500ms with my fully loaded llama.
once your actually moving, your as good as there...

and theres no reason to "prefer" razors, they just need a medium instead of a hvy slot with somewhat comparable damage ;)
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

Benison wrote: as for the lama: took me 15 minutes to acellerate to over 500ms with my fully loaded llama.
once your actually moving, your as good as there...
Getting less and/or lighter cargo would be advisable. That, or getting a Mule...
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

I'm currently using a green Llama. ---->

Not much kit on it yet, just upgraded the cargo hold, and the overdrive, armour and shields so I can get away from any trouble.

I've also bought a Plowshare, but that's still in its stock setup.
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

I will poke this with a question. What do you think are most and least useful ships in VS? I've noticed that some ships are quite useless while some are flown by almost everyone. Having some data to back it up might help devs balance it out a bit...some ships would be better if they were NPC only and give us something more balanced to buy....

I will begin with my list:
Useful:
Dostoevsky-cheap, quite fast and maneuverable, good firepower, and that one torpedo can get you out of trouble. If equipped well, it's good for every pirate-hunting mission out there. Probably best starter if you wanna go the role of bounty hunter.
Franklin-fast, well armed courier ship. 4x autotracking razors can handle everything that comes your way short of military capships.
Pacifier-quite sluggish, but it got everything else. Guns, torpedoes, cargo space, and space for big shields and reactor.
Admonisher-Pacifier 2.0. faster, less cargo space, otherwise same deal, just much more expensive.
Derivate-fast, well armed, just a bit squishy.
Areus-quite a good balance between firepower and agility
Lancelot-no comment

Useless:
Gawain-Far too expensive, far too low armanent.
Hammer-eh? Toad fits better...
Progeny-too expensive for what it can do...
Schroedinger-one light mount? Okay, it got cloak, but what you want to do after decloaking...
podbelski
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by podbelski »

What might be the best choice to replace the starting Llama?

I want some basic directions, atm I haven't bought any upgrades for Llama (and not sure do I need them at all) but have about 300k creds, and can do a few Ms w/o problems.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

best changes. 4 ion bursters over lasers, better shields/armor, and better energy cap for in-sys and jumpdrive. For most something 3 or 4 points higher than your current should be enough if you plan on ditching the llama soon.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

podbelski wrote:What might be the best choice to replace the starting Llama?

I want some basic directions, atm I haven't bought any upgrades for Llama (and not sure do I need them at all) but have about 300k creds, and can do a few Ms w/o problems.
Well, "best" is subjective. I like the Pacifier ... a lot.

I upgrade the first Llama with level V shields, capacitor and reactor. I add a pair of microdrivers so I can "Reach Out and Touch Someone". I keep a pair of lasers and put auto-tracking on all four mounts. Four auto-tracking purchases will set one back a little over 360K credits. I load the missile bays with heat seekers. After that I go hunting Luddites and Pirates to build up credits for a better ship. I make sure to kill more Luddites than I do Pirates to try to keep other factions happy with me. At least 3 or 4 to 1. I never take on anything with too many opponents or capital ships that can eat the Llama whole. I also "spam" nice talk with those few factions that do not seem impressed with my bounty hunting skills.

Once I have enough to equip a stock Pacifier with at least level V kit, some torpedoes + heat seekers and a pair of long range microwave lasers with auto-tracking I do that. Then I hunt bigger Pirate game in "capital ships" with my torpedoes for bigger rewards and keep hunting Luddites to even things out. I will also trade the occasional batch of PAI Wetware I find at Commerce Centers when I run across an Ice Planet in my travels. Once I can afford AI Cores, I trade those too. Eventually, I upgrade the Pacifier until it has level X kit, four long range microwave lasers with auto-tracking and some microdrivers on the dinky weapon mounts also with auto-tracking.

I just started a new game last weekend with a fresh download and compile of a recent SVN checkout It took me roughly 6 hours play time (estimated) to be able to buy my Pacifier.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

I prefer Dostoevsky over Pacifier, for one reason. It's much faster.

Altho not as well armed, that one torpedo and two microwave lasers are capable of tearing up any pirate ship including capships. Hyenas and Redeemers don't stand chance at all, and Plowshares only sometimes survive one full burst. Overall, as long as you hunt just pirates and luddites, Dostoevsky is enough. Only problem is when you have more than one capship to kill, as it takes a while killing capship with just two microwaves, especially Yeoman.

And getting it fully operational is much cheaper than Pacifier....overall around 1M.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Sarin wrote:Pacifier-quite sluggish, but it got everything else. Guns, torpedoes, cargo space, and space for big shields and reactor.
Admonisher-Pacifier 2.0. faster, less cargo space, otherwise same deal, just much more expensive.
Derivate-fast, well armed, just a bit squishy.
Pacifier - one fat brick. Admonisher got the same 4 x Heavy + 1 Heavy missile as main weapons, so what's lost that was really needed? Only hold volume.
Derivative - for fly-by jousting, much like Dostoevsky. Modest reactor, but big caps, etc. Determinant is more squishy (+20 upgrade doesn't compensate change to Shield-4), has only 1 Heavy and is even faster.
Sarin wrote:Useless:
Gawain-Far too expensive, far too low armanent.
Hammer-eh? Toad fits better...
Progeny-too expensive for what it can do...
Schroedinger-one light mount? Okay, it got cloak, but what you want to do after decloaking...
Progeny - eats a lot of ammo, yes. Still... with autotrackers, it's a hideous rain of doom. Without - okay as deployable missile launchers for stations. :) Not bad at all, but sort of mediocre.
Hammer - a decent missile barge, but in VS it's not a very good or fun thing. NPCs got to cheat, having bigger guns than allowed.
Gawain - i don't get it either: "Heavy fighter" armed worse than Progeny. It's fast, 2-sector shield leaves good upgrade potential, but what to do with this? Would be good for fly-by - but with what, 1x Medium weapon? Razors are kind of slow and limited, Ktek bolt is very slow and not supposed to be on Human ships. With something like 3x Stormfire + 2x Hail - maybe fun, but again, too expensive.
Again, NPC have to cheat: ".stock" has ParticleBeam (Medium) in all "Light" slots and Reaper (Heavy) in Light|Medium. Of course, that works.
Even if only mount #3 was Heavy it would be a fair ship - less armed, but better shielded and somewhat more flexible counterpart of Dostoyevsky and Derivative. Add one Medium and it would be cool even with two others left Light.
Schroedinger - good upgrade space; with Ion Burster it can take a Redeemer head-on. Or as Special - Crippler or Stormfire, both has their strong sides, but also bad limitations. It could be fun if either Stormfire has bigger magazine and its ammo was sold separately - or Hephaestus-PD and its ammo. Again, NPC cheat: ".stock" version carries DisruptorBeam (Medium) in "Light" slot. The main problem, though, is slow cloaking and decloaking, because otherwise cloak and big caps combo would compensate everything, with some patience for Hit'n'Run. Not quite "useless", but no point to choose it.
Also, Convolution seems to be overpriced (compare to Derivative and Dostoevsky).
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Huh...for Progeny, I've tried it out and each of its missile pylons can carry only one medium missile...making even Llama better missile platform. Two medium gun slots don't save it. If I want real missile fighter, I'd buy Sickle. Cheap, decent speed and can carry huge load of missiles...4 pylons each capable of mounting 32 dumbfires or 4 IFF.

BTW for Gawain...I tried fitting it with best I could get. Result...forward acceleration without overdrive down to less than 12g, quite crappy turn rates, lateral acceleration almost nonexistent. So much for interceptor...and yea, I used both engine safety override and overpowered turning jets.

I guess all those "cheat" NPC versions can be justified by saying what you get is downgraded version intended for civilian market...
podbelski
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by podbelski »

Sorry for a small offtopic,

when you buy another ship, you retain the original Llama? And pay 6k creds for each interstellar jump, right?
I read about this in an old topic, so not sure if this thing is still in the game...
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Whenever you buy a ship, you keep all your old ones, but they are located where you left them. Transporting a ship you are not flying from one system to another costs 50k.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

eracc wrote:
podbelski wrote:What might be the best choice to replace the starting Llama?

Well, "best" is subjective. I like the Pacifier ... a lot.
I just started a new game last weekend with a fresh download and compile of a recent SVN checkout It took me roughly 6 hours play time (estimated) to be able to buy my Pacifier.
I get it that "certain people" disrespect the Pacifier in their opinion. :P My own opinion is based on the fact I have been playing VegaStrike since the early 2000's. At least a couple of years before I joined the forum. During that time I have gone through every ship more than once and figured costs and play time without cheating to get a strong, useful ship for both fighting and cargo as early as possible in the game. I keep coming back to the Pacifier for that. Again, all these suggestions from everyone here are individual opinions. So, newbies will have to figure out which of our opinions have merit and which do not for their own objectives. For me, a fast ship is not as important as a strong ship that can handle some pounding and give it back.

For that matter, I do not drive, nor do I want, a Veyron in real life either. If I could, I would drive an Abrams with full armament: "Well, officer, he cut me off in traffic. So, I had my wife fire our main gun at him. I'm sorry the wreck is blocking the intersection." In a Veyron, I would just be left with hand gestures. ;) Sure, one might be able to mount some armament on a Veyron. But it still would not handle a tank main gun round or .50 caliber rounds worth crap. :D

For those interested in such things, here is the current weapon loadout on the Pacifier in my current game:
http://www.eracc.com/other/screen-shots ... nshot0.png
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Sarin wrote:Huh...for Progeny, I've tried it out and each of its missile pylons can carry only one medium missile...making even Llama better missile platform.
2 (ImRec). But why FF or even ImRec? Usually 5 heatseekers or even 16 dumbfires (if you're out to kill slow bricks) are better.
Sarin wrote: Two medium gun slots don't save it.
One probably should be Medium beam (to kill incoming missiles), another - same or Razor.
But you missed Progeny's main short-range weapon: 4xHail is not something to just discard. :) 4x Crippler is good too, but these eat a lot of energy - which is the main reason to put rockets on small ships, unless you're jousting.
Sarin wrote: Gawain...I tried fitting it with best I could get. Result...forward acceleration without overdrive down to less than 12g, quite crappy turn rates, lateral acceleration almost nonexistent. So much for interceptor...and yea, I used both engine safety override and overpowered turning jets.
Custom shield reacharge, repair bots over II and heavy armor must go. Otherwise, how? With engine safety override i couldn't put it below 15.3 - that's shields-15, caps-15, jump, overdrive-6 (which is useful in fly-by setup), reactor-7 (which i don't need for fly-by) and overweighted repairbot-3. Same with reactor-6 and repair-2 has 16.89-17.04 g (44.5 with afterburner), depending on other parts.
Sarin wrote:I guess all those "cheat" NPC versions can be justified by saying what you get is downgraded version intended for civilian market...
Nope, they sell ".milspec" and ".regspec" too, with the same mounts.