So what ship are you flying?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Jedi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jedi »

Last edited by Jedi on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

If your Gleaner is listed in the ship dealer under MY Fleet you can have to transported to you for 6000 credits :wink: so no reason for your quest to find Cephid 17 :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Jedi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jedi »

Actually it is 50000. :( But... I found Cephid 17, to find the Gleaner is not upgradeable. (ie cargo vessel = sucks) :?
Last edited by Jedi on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I have found very little reason to use anything above a Mule if I want to do cargo missions.. has anyone found real uses for something the size of a clydesdale except for cruising?

There seens to be a need for items that are very large so we can fill those cargo holds up ^^
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

When I played 0.43 about a year ago, I had a little fleet of nice ships.
A Mule for cargo
A Goddard for flying around and taking out pirates.
A Shizu for fun (seriously - nothing is as maneuverable as a Shizu in my experience)
An Ariston because I wanted to have a nice Aera ship
A Nikander (s. Ariston)

But now I'm flying around in my Llama and try to make some money. DID the Llama change significantly? I don't find any upgrades for it... radar doesn't go beyond Skyscope Alpha, Shields are, well, not too good....
I remember the Llama being a ship you could heavily modify, but it seems to be just a piece of metal now.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

When I played 0.43 about a year ago, I had a little fleet of nice ships.
A Mule for cargo
A Goddard for flying around and taking out pirates.
A Shizu for fun (seriously - nothing is as maneuverable as a Shizu in my experience)
An Ariston because I wanted to have a nice Aera ship
A Nikander (s. Ariston)

But now I'm flying around in my Llama and try to make some money. DID the Llama change significantly? I don't find any upgrades for it... radar doesn't go beyond Skyscope Alpha, Shields are, well, not too good....
I remember the Llama being a ship you could heavily modify, but it seems to be just a piece of metal now.

If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

radar doesn't go beyond Skyscope Alpha, Shields
You have to sell the old stuff first :wink: It is preventing duplicates of the major systems same for the reactor and you may have also noticed that it only has light weapon mounts now.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

My main ship still is a pacifier... I just like to be able to do many things with a single ship, and I like the old warhorse feel as well. It seens to be the most versatile ship in game.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Yeah, I re-realized that I had to sell the old stuff first.

I'm back on a Dostoevsky now. 2x Heavy Ion Beam and Autotracking, one Torpedo or AdvTorpedo and pirates have to be careful when they want to steal my specialty wines *g*
Even good for bounty on pirate capital vessels (can a Gleaner do anything apart from going *pop*?)

Saving my money now to get the other ships for my private collection. Maybe there's something even better than the Dostoevsky for a wine trader.

Joe B
Trader
Trader

Post by Joe B »

Fireskull wrote:I have found very little reason to use anything above a Mule if I want to do cargo missions.. has anyone found real uses for something the size of a clydesdale except for cruising?

There seens to be a need for items that are very large so we can fill those cargo holds up ^^
I think most people use Clydesdales and oxes as cap ships,

I did a hack about 2 weeks back and got a fully armed an Clydesdale and hunted down hyenas. Then I decided to go into Aera territory and beat the living daylights out of a fleet of 2 Aera Cap ships, 8 support vessels, and around 100 fighters, and if anyone wants to know take out fleets, put a bunch of fighters in your cargo hold and launch them in formation (process is described our wiki) then fire torpedo salvos at the cap ships and heavy support ships, let turrets take out the fighters.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

Joe B wrote:
Fireskull wrote:I have found very little reason to use anything above a Mule if I want to do cargo missions.. has anyone found real uses for something the size of a clydesdale except for cruising?

I think most people use Clydesdales and oxes as cap ships,

I did a hack about 2 weeks back and got a fully armed an Clydesdale and hunted down hyenas. Then I decided to go into Aera territory and beat the living daylights out of a fleet of 2 Aera Cap ships, 8 support vessels, and around 100 fighters, and if anyone wants to know take out fleets, put a bunch of fighters in your cargo hold and launch them in formation (process is described our wiki) then fire torpedo salvos at the cap ships and heavy support ships, let turrets take out the fighters.
I shoulda tried that when in the hour long battering match with the space station out in Confed Territory...

I had something like three goddards, five (dammit, can't remember the class at the moment) of the cloaking light fighters, and a handful of random bounty hunter ships in my hold, which took the hate off of me from the other ships and let me attack the space station, but a lack of torps kept me from killing it for so long. I was alt-tabbing out of it to read the VS forums during the slugfest. I managed to limp home though... I'll try that next time.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Re: So what ship are you flying?

Post by Genghis Prawn »

Right now I am being chased by lots of ships .. so I have been having fun in a Derivative (mil spec) with 2 Hephastus-mini cannons, 2 ion bursters and 4 Friend or Foe Missiles. Racking up the kills and making them still angrier with me. After I tire of shooting the ships down I then go to a planet and switch to my mil spec Schroedinger and cloak then travel to another system.

I like the pacifier but it is too slow when I have all these incoming enemies. The goddard has lots of great firepower but still too slow. In either I get shot to pieces in short order. In the Lancelot or Derivative I have better luck.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The Derivative does have the legs to get out there fast and it's nimble in combat one of the reasons i prefer it myself.

Racecarlock
Trader
Trader

Post by Racecarlock »

I edited the save file to give me a ton of money so now I fly a nice franklin with 2 leechguns and disruptors. Currently at Earth. Anyone who wants a good trading ship with nice speed and handling and some pretty good starting weapons, get the franklin.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I used to prefer a Gawain for its speed and handling, but it lacks the firepower needed to take on capital ships. After trying everything that looked interesting, I recently settled on the Lancelot. It has room for a decent set up upgrades, mounts better firepower than the Gawain, is faster and handles better than the Aerus, and has enough cargo space to carry an AI core which is a high-profit item. Now I just need to design on a paint job for it.

Turbo

Edit: The paint job is 90% complete, and is my new avatar. I just have to find and remove what is causing the oddly-colored artifacts: a dorsal triangle just behind the cockpit glass, and vertical white stripes on either side of both missile launchers. For full size pic, look here: http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... turbo1.png
Last edited by Turbo on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Right now I am flying Dostoevsky....with two hephasteus cannons, just enough to destroy pirate Corvettes etc. without using that little aeran torpedo I have.

I'm already thinking about upgrade tho...dunno if I should take Areus or Lancelot....I fear that Lance would be incapable of destroying aeran capships....
Zama

Post by Zama »

I like the fact that you can cheat with the Mule! I go and start a war and get all low level upgrades beaten up then dock at a planet buy one or more level good upgrades and repaier the damage ones. Then undock and put up longer lasting fight. :twisted:
darilon
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darilon »

On my 'honest' game - the one I am playing most lately - I have a llama and a plowshare and am just building my cash up for something more interesting. I'm at that boring period between 1 and 12 million credits where you make around 5-700k per construction or mining run from a commerce station. From what I've seen of things that have tried to kill me, the Robin is one of the hardest vessels to kill off due to it's maneuverability and speed. While testing the mulitiplayer server I've tried out a number of different vessels to varying effect but none of really captured my imagination as yet. Can't wait till I'm shipping ai cores and automated factories for millions of credit profit each run so I can start giving some of these ships a real test run.
kraehe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kraehe »

Moin,

I started with a Llama and switched to a Franklin when I had about 4million cache. The Franklin was both a big speed boost in trading and is also the better ship for combat. The Franklin was the ship that made me rich. My current fleet also contain a Pacifier, a Lancelot, Goddard, Areus, Ariston, Nicander and Vigilance.

I recently went back to a slightly modified Llama, mounting two razors, two tractors and two racks of friends or foe missiles. IMHO the old Llama that was able to mount two medium weapons is one of the best ships. Perhaps its even the best at all ;)

ciao,Kraehe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Llama - Plowshare - Lancelot.
Plowshare is just the only really usable large box (until shuttles aren't implemented, that is). Dostoevsky is cool, but does not allows very strong shields, so in previous game it was Llama - Plowshare - Pacifier - Franklin.
kraehe wrote: IMHO the old Llama that was able to mount two medium weapons is one of the best ships.
+1. And after all, it made sense for universal ship of decent size.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
darilon
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darilon »

Following Turbo and Turbo Beholder's leads, I just picked up a Lancelot and it's doing a great job ripping up the opposition - and that's before I added a shieldbreaker and hephaestus to it. Now everyone loves me except the pirates, luddites, uln and forsaken - the latter two seem to take exception when I kill some pirates.

edit: actually, the Luddites like me right now - and the shieldbreaker and hephaestus are crazy additions to the firepower on this ship. Killing pirates as they make their approaches now and with the capacitor and reactor upgrades (around VII or X level) it's got the stamina to just keep on shooting.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Shizu is very cool too, even with prohibited overdrive (and still good even without shady hacks as in milspec). 450 (!) upgrade volume, 2xMedium weapons and maneurability of crazy dragonfly - strafe 171 m/s*s empty, 92 default (Progeny is comparable, but price is many times higher and it has less free volume, Dostoevsky is better, but still not that cheap and has even less upgrade volume, and turning hackgrades somehow don't give side acceleration anyway). So plug in guns, some beef-ups and go hunt awkward boxes shooting slow bolts (assuming you'll bind thrusters to more usable keys, that is). But without ITTS on both guns it can't take out pirate capship, due to "more dakka" problem (i only managed to fry 4 of its turrets on fly-by before being swatted).
Last edited by TBeholder on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Jedi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jedi »

... I fly a Goddard now, pricey but usable after i put a revelistic particle beam on it :roll: can take out aera capships if i could get autotracking :twisted:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I have been trying a lancelot with 4 Razors .... makes short work of just about any vessel short of capship class. It has taken out a few capships as well but some take a lot of doing. The razors suck up a lot of power because of their fast cycle rate .. need to use them in bursts . . . but they reduce the shields quickly then pound away at the hull.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Genghis Prawn wrote:I have been trying a lancelot with 4 Razors .... makes short work of just about any vessel short of capship class. It has taken out a few capships as well but some take a lot of doing. The razors suck up a lot of power because of their fast cycle rate .. need to use them in bursts . . . but they reduce the shields quickly then pound away at the hull.
People seem to kick my butt when I use the Lancelot... maybe because they attack me from behind or the sides, killing me when I realize where they are :roll:
I prefer a packed Pacifier, a Rlaan warship or an Aera warship. Or my lovely Clydesdale :twisted: !
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite