So what ship are you flying?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: So what ship are you flying?

Post by Sarin »

Dumbfires are okay for pirate capships, but heatseekers...I am not fond of them, they have tendency to misfire. I had friendly fire incidents due to them.
unavailableartist
Explorer
Explorer

Post by unavailableartist »

I just use the refurb. Llama. Trade on the side, and do some clean sweep missions/bounties. I avoid fight aeras their too tough, rlaan are also bounties I don't like.
For missiles i just use Image/heatseaking, Image seeking if I want a high kill-hit ratio. Dumbfire I use for big slow ships or ships that come in charging. Really good against Plowshares/gleaners.
Particular mods I worry about are Armor/shields/sensors/reactors. I did alright with the one I have now but I restarted because the Aera were powning me with superiority fighters/ not the ones that skirmish you now and again, but the ones that have quad-shields. I had on the last ship, 2 micro's,2lazer. Dumbfire and heat seeking, tungsten carbide, the best sensor so I could tell if I was looking at a friendly and how to shoot at them, reactor 4, and shield 3.

+never runs out of energy shooting.
-shields aren't great but it makes up for it in armor.
-kinda slow
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

unavailableartist wrote:Particular mods I worry about are Armor/shields/sensors/reactors. I did alright with the one I have now but I restarted because the Aera were powning me with superiority fighters/ not the ones that skirmish you now and again, but the ones that have quad-shields. I had on the last ship, 2 micro's,2lazer.
Uh, it's a joke, not a weapon. I prefer from Light weapons Ion Burster: 54 VDU per hit, 1.5/s (Pugilist has 23*4, but with worse range and velocity for greater power consumption). One mount easily melts down a Redeemer in a few head-on passes. Three of these, well... especially when "gun_speed_adjusted_game_speed" is off and their proper 30 km/s exit velocity ensures really good hit rate even in missile shooting - great for a bolt weapon, and really useful given lack of even half-decent beams in Light category and ECM having noticeable effect only in long run (in both senses).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
unavailableartist
Explorer
Explorer

On second thought... luddites are about the only ones that I can take on at the moment. Pirates very much like Aera's start out weak and get really powerful. Pirates Corvette class ship is only good for fast fighters that can avoid it turrets and main guns... Llama is just too slow.

As for big cap ship others send like... the big Clydesdales (with missles gleaners are dealable) ... and such.... for get it lol... like throwing spit wads. Lol... I tried fighting a lancelot (a superiority fighter) and it didn't even think me enough of a threat to fight me lmao!!!.

I going to try some other ones...

I will agree with you saying my ship config. sucks. But, puglist, and micros are about the better ones of the light arms. Micro's have a small amount of Phase damage (why luddites do damage even thought they never pierce the shields), puglist uses twice as much as lazer but does a little more damage (nothing a good generator can't handle). One the other hand, Ion bursters aren't so good at distance (has a distance depreciation value or like 13%) and shoot really slow... not to mention one gun uses 1600mj vs. puglists 800mj... lazer uses 400mj.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

unavailableartist wrote:Micro's have a small amount of Phase damage (why luddites do damage even thought they never pierce the shields),
Very true, but how frequently this does anything more than forcing you to pay for armor repair? Tractor upgrade allows other shield-piercing weapons, though they have other problems. And taking on anything that has enough shield power to survive 3x Ion burster on Llama isn't really a good idea anyway. On the other hand, probably viable on Vendetta which with 7 already autotracking mounts (again, assuming Greed forces a tractorbeam upon you :wink: ) spams a lot. Just for sheer critical hit chance.
unavailableartist wrote: puglist uses twice as much as lazer but does a little more damage (nothing a good generator can't handle). One the other hand, Ion bursters aren't so good at distance (has a distance depreciation value or like 13%) and shoot really slow... not to mention one gun uses 1600mj vs. puglists 800mj... lazer uses 400mj.
Just like it's 291 / 0.65 vs 124 / 0.25 of damage, it's 1600 / 0.65 vs 800 / 0.25 of energy. And while Ion burster damage indeed decays more, greater velocity means its hit rate tend to decay less - and Pugilist is even slower than lazer. Also, longer range where it can damage anything at all (though again, gun speed compensation lessens velocity and range difference).
Pugilist has its uses, but IMO more viable on either Vendetta with good caps or ships where Light mounts are bonus rather than main weapons.
But if you want a strong slow bolt and phasedamage no matter the cost, Crippler (via Tractor capability) is still better: it causes 2x more damage on shield than microdriver +1/3 of this through shield. It's "non-lethal", but since a crippler-only attack ends with the target unable to shoot and dying from a finger poke... and Llama can carry Swarm/Hail... :twisted:
unavailableartist
Explorer
Explorer

Actually, I've had some better luck with the micro drivers than the ion-bursters for some reason. I mean round speed is great... but where I'm slow at everything, I find that ships are usually moving very fast for me to even catch up enough to use it's real effect range. With four micros, a tungston armor, I killed a Aera "dual-shilded" fighter easier than I could kill a plowshare with ion bursters. Maybe it's the generator I got at the time, like IV gen. it would run out of shooting abilitiy in seconds. And while the rounds thems are hyper speed, to the point of just seeing a dim red flash while shooting.... It's like a sniper rifle. The round goes fast, and it's speed makes it more likely to hit the target but... the refire is terrible.

I find that lazer and pugilist have better refire rates... I wanted to try the crippler when I saw it.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

unavailableartist wrote:Actually, I've had some better luck with the micro drivers than the ion-bursters for some reason. I mean round speed is great... but where I'm slow at everything, I find that ships are usually moving very fast for me to even catch up enough to use it's real effect range.
Ones moving toward or from you has minimum of angular speed and either way ITTS shows where to shoot.
It's best to open fire at maximum range, among other things, because targets are less likely to perform more complex maneuvers than "cha-a-a-a-arge!" or switch between them. Redeemer is an example for both sides of this: runs straight at you and starts pelting as soon as it can.
unavailableartist wrote: Maybe it's the generator I got at the time, like IV gen. it would run out of shooting abilitiy in seconds.
In damage/energy efficiency Microdriver is the best, Crippler and Burster have about half of this, others are even worse. But this shouldn't be a problem with light weapons on ships as big as Llama.
You're not going to shoot constantly, and capacitors are cheaper and smaller than reactors, so usualy (and especially for "jousting" fights) it's a good idea to have maximum caps, while reactor may be just good enough to give shields as much power as they want. BTW, shield slowdown in stats seems to be per sector, so for usual quad-shields "24.xx%" means main caps don't dry up but continue to charge even while shields recover after SPEC.
unavailableartist wrote: And while the rounds thems are hyper speed, to the point of just seeing a dim red flash while shooting.... It's like a sniper rifle. The round goes fast, and it's speed makes it more likely to hit the target but... the refire is terrible.
2/3 s, only Crippler is slower. But it hits so hard only Pugilist got rate of fire high enough to add up to greater total damage. Crippler and microdriver has less than half of this firepower, though of course they put some of it through shields (especially crippler).
unavailableartist wrote:I find that lazer and pugilist have better refire rates... I wanted to try the crippler when I saw it.
BTW, since Pugilist costs 75k and Autotracker 100k, at this point you could as well use them - then multiple Cripplers become really efficient despite being so slow and high-velocity guns (burster or even microdriver) almost always hit. You know how Redeemer puts a ball after ball into slow ships even from maximum range? The same, except you don't need to make yourself a perfect target by running straight at the foes, only lock and keep them inside tracking cone.
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

Lately I've been bagging big game in a Kiergaard gunboat I picked up at a Confed fighter base. She handles a lot better than the stats would have you believe, and comes loaded with the Resignation special missile, which hits like a torpedo-sized Dumbfire.
I gave her a mk6 Overdrive, and now her combat speed is 600 and she rolls up to 1200 on afterburner (although not terribly quickly).
Really the only thing I don't like about this one is the smallish cargo hold at 400 m3.

Of course I still have my Pacifier for bagging merchant ships...the cargo hold on the Kiergaard won't let me snag Factory Constructors.

I stripped out the ol' Llama when I picked up the Pac....I pretty much don't do cargo runs once I get up a decent weapons loadout. :twisted: Not when there's so much more money to be made if ya salvage the cargo instead.
[OC]Killer B
Vanguard Federation of Gamers
=VFF Productions=
Antares Mod for Freelancer Team
Storyline Writer/Cat Herder/PR guy
General in the Ordered Chaos Corporation
Vanguard 2 Server
Science Fiction and Action Adventure writer at Antares Dreamscape
Website Creator at Awesome Websites