Best weapons for Derivatie.milspec

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
joko
Explorer
Explorer

Best weapons for Derivatie.milspec

Post by joko »

Now i have a bought a Derivative.milspec and equipped the ship with 2 Shieldbreakers 1 Disrupter and 1 Tractor. Are there better weapons and where can i buy them. By the way, how can i equip the ship with a quad shield, the milspec has only a dual shield.

Thanks for an answer.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

, how can i equip the ship with a quad shield, the milspec has only a dual shield.
Sorry no can do the Derivative can only mount the dial shield as for weapons that is very dependant on your personal style of combat in close and personal or long range sniping :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
joko
Explorer
Explorer

Post by joko »

Thanks loki1950
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

The Rlaan ktek beam is my favorite waepon on my derivative, it has really nice range, and still does good damage. :wink: But like loki said its really up to you.
joko
Explorer
Explorer

Post by joko »

Again many thanks for your valuable tips. Now i have equipped my Derivative with 2 Ktek beams, 2 Disrupter beams and a Cloaking Device and it is unbeatable against Hyenas, Reedemers and Plowshares. I got out of fights with up to 7 ships without a scratch.
Jedi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jedi »

A good ship, in my opinion, is the Vigilance: fast, maneuverable, heavily armed. That's what use now, besides a Plowshare, Llama, Goddard, etc. :twisted:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

where could you bought a Vigilance???
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

He may have given it to himself :wink: with a text editor 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Jedi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Jedi »

Yea, I hacked my save file. Love it. :wink:
I'm racking up a whole fleet of ships (yes most of them are legit), and now the Uln and Forsaken hate me. :?
Hmm, weapons for a Derivative? try torpedoes, and Rapid-Fire-MicroWave Laser.. :roll:
Last edited by Jedi on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

and how you hack the file?
and what files you hack?

could you post a files with all ship??
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You need to change the ships in your save file and add the proper csv file for that ship to serialized_xml folder for that save there are a few threads with the details and the how to add ships article on the wiki also gives instruction part 5 Testing here is a link to the main article http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Add_Ships.

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i follow the link you gave me .....thank a lot
Last edited by Fendorin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Best weapons for Derivatie.milspec

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I am very new to the game (< 1 month) but I have found that 2 Hephaestus-mini cannons and 2 Ion Bursters work very well on the Derivative. 2 Razors also work very well in place of the Ion Bursters .. but they run out of ammo much faster than the ion bursters.
burkshifter
Trader
Trader

Re:

Post by burkshifter »

bgaskey wrote:The Rlaan ktek beam is my favorite waepon on my derivative, it has really nice range, and still does good damage. :wink: But like loki said its really up to you.
Yeah, I run with those and two light ions until I can find something better in the medium range, along with a full rack of missiles. The derivative is pretty unbeatable against other fighters once it's fully equipped. In fact, it has just about the same stats as a Lancelot in terms of mountpoints, except it's faster and more maneuverable. Shields and all that can be customized, though my derivative runs at about 200% mass with an empty cargo hold.
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Hm, I thought Kteks are too power-hungry for such a small ship like Derivate

At ranges up to 4.5km, best wepon is definitely hephasteus cannon. Well over 2000MW output, almost half of it is phase damage.
burkshifter
Trader
Trader

Post by burkshifter »

Sarin wrote:Hm, I thought Kteks are too power-hungry for such a small ship like Derivate

At ranges up to 4.5km, best wepon is definitely hephasteus cannon. Well over 2000MW output, almost half of it is phase damage.
Yeah, the problem is that you only get four or five quick shots before the capacitor needs to recharge, but with kteks you rarely need more than that, especially if you have autotracking (which I think is a must for all guns). It makes you wait until you have a sure shot, but that's part of the fun.
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Well, I do a lot of of subcap ship hunting (like Thales, Yeoman etc..) with my Dostoevsky so hephasteus cannons are the weapon of choice...
kraehe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kraehe »

Moin Sarin,
Sarin wrote:Well, I do a lot of of subcap ship hunting (like Thales, Yeoman etc..) with my Dostoevsky so hephasteus cannons are the weapon of choice...
my weapon of choice is the Razor. Ok, its power hungry and eats ammunition, I only have 3.62seconds for continuous weapon use. But those 3 seconds are fun. The tactic would be to fire missiles at 20 to 10km range, to wait till 7km fire till 3km, evade and slide, fire till 7km, stop slide and repeat with missiles. A Thales seldom needs a 2nd approach, bigger capships do.

The question is what to do with the heavy/special slot, if the medium is mounting the main weapon with a higher energy consumption and range than the Hephasteus. Tractors don't make much sense in a Derivate because of low cargo volume, and a Derivate has enough missiles for the long range.

ciao,Kraehe
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Two more razors? It is possible to mount them there I think, and you'll get a bit more ammo for them, when I put razors once for fun to heavy slot they had 750 ammo each. Or maybe some other stuff...did anyone ever tried out those Aera guns? Or maybe some beams to use against fighters. That might be the best choince, some stuff to have when you're out of ammo.

I never used razors because of their low ammo, and low exit velocity resulting in poor performance agaisnt fighters over significant range.
kraehe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kraehe »

Moin Sarin,
Sarin wrote:Two more razors? It is possible to mount them there I think, and you'll get a bit more ammo for them, when I put razors once for fun to heavy slot they had 750 ammo each. Or maybe some other stuff...did anyone ever tried out those Aera guns? Or maybe some beams to use against fighters. That might be the best choince, some stuff to have when you're out of ammo.
4 Razors will draw a lot of energy. To much for such a small ship. I at first feared to run out of ammo, but most medium weapon slots have 15m² of ammo storage, resulting in 750shots or two and a half minutes of fire.
I never used razors because of their low ammo, and low exit velocity resulting in poor performance agaisnt fighters over significant range.
I tried nearly every other medium and large weapon, but for me razors have the significant range. Most other weapons only have a range of 4000m. This is less than 3 seconds when charging a fighter group in a Franklin. To short to score a kill, resulting in a Uln suicide ram. With razors I fire short bursts at 8000m at each target and can be sure, that there is no one shooting back at 4000m.

When attacking capital vessels, those 3 seconds between 8000m and 4000m also empty my capacitor. So I evade out of their weapon range, wait for capacitor recharge, and attack again.

Hit and Run: Being faster than the opponent, and killing them at a range, where they don't even have a change of damaging me is my choice of combat style. But perhaps I'm still a rookie when it comes to VS combat. I've tried several weapons, but so far only 3 had been good to score kills:

- Heatseeker Missiles are small and cheap, lock fast enough and result in enough damage that one or two score a kill. Unfortunately they sometimes kill the wrong one.

- Friends or Foe Missiles lock even faster and wont kill your friends, but they are bigger, more expensive and more prone to ECM.

- Each Razor is doing nearly the same damage per second as a friends of foe missile, but a 5 shot burst cost about 5.7times that money for ammunition compared to a friend of foe missile, and they draw a lot of capacitor energy. The good thing is, that 15m² razor ammo compares to 150 friends or foe missiles in damage.

Most other weapons are either dealing to few damage, or have a short range, or a long lock or a long refire delay. The hephasteus or even the ktek beam might be the choice, of you are an ace of dogfights, but not for me.

ciao,Kraehe
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Sarin »

Unfortunately, there seems to be no dogfighting in VS once you have ship equipped with heavy slot. Both K'tek and hephasteus cannons, if you have at least two with autotracking, are able to tear apart every light ship during approach.