How do I proceed with the campaign / storyline?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
eggy lippmann
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

How do I proceed with the campaign / storyline?

Post by eggy lippmann »

Greetings, fellow Vega Strike fans. Here's another clueless noob with a stupid question for you! What joy! ;)
I have completed, or so I hope, the first couple of missions in the campaign, and do not know how to proceed.
After a fairly long bit of trading, RTFMing, and a couple of in-system missions, I figured out how to get the jump drive and decided to get into the storyline.
I talked to the first guy, Jenek, he gave me two crates, I transported them as directed.
I went back to Atlantis, he gave me the rest of the crates, and told me I needed to deliver them to some other guy personally, and he would handle it.
When I got to my destination, I landed, went to the bar, and some mean person there claimed to know who I was and threatened to kill me if I left the system.
I went back to Atlantis and Jenek was not there. I went to the Arid planet on the other system, no one tried to kill me either, nobody special seemed to be there either.
I checked my Active Missions and it said "Objective", and that was it. Looks like a bug to me. I am using the latest version, precompiled win32 package downloaded 2 days ago etc.
Is this really a weird bug? Did I do something wrong to trigger it? Do I need to start over? HELP! :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome eggy lippmann that about it i'am afraid not much of a story ATM more like a mini quest :wink: it hasn't changed since the last release :oops: there are a few more stops that you did not get to the package you take back to Atlantis is a bomb to take out Jenek.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

A story really needs to be written. It would could be centered around around the war or some smugglers. It's anything the devs want though.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
eggy lippmann

Post by eggy lippmann »

Thank you so much for your input. :D
In the mean time, I restarted the game, and this time around I didn't get the mean looking guy, but did get a conversation going with Jenek, where he acted a bit paranoid and told me some guy wanted to talk to me, but that I shouldn't go. Then he said he had to leave, but his image stayed in the bar anyway, except it didn't talk to me. :roll:
Which file could I hack to try and expand this campaign?
I take it 99% of the game is "freeform" and there is only this tiny campaign as a sample, then?
Is there any documentation on the campaign file format?
Thanks! :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The campaign is a series of Python scripts there is a how to in the wiki http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... _Campaigns

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:A story really needs to be written. It would could be centered around around the war or some smugglers. It's anything the devs want though.
The stub campaign is, unfortunately, likely to remain in place for a while longer for a few key reasons:

1) We have an outline of how the large-scale actions in the VS universe should evolve, but not a convenient interface for causing them to happen as described (sufficient python hackery could do the trick, but rather tediously at the moment). Thus, the appropriate backdrop isn't going to be appearing for a while.

2) We're interested in offering the player character a meaningful set of options, so it's not just one plot we need to write, it's a directed-acyclic-graph of plot nodes that need to be drafted up and then content for each node and appropriate segue developed. Progress on this front has been very slow -- it's a lot of work and it hasn't been prioritized relative to getting the fundamental mechanics of the game working (which any storytelling will rely on anyway).

3) Once #2 is up to snuff, we'll still need to script everything. There has been a fair amount of work on a campaign editor to speed up this and any other mod scripting efforts, but the particulars of progress on that front are beyond my purview and have escaped from memory (dandandaman is in charge of said project).
eggy lippmann

Post by eggy lippmann »

Thank you all for the info :)
I took a brief look at the python code, seemed relatively straightforward.
I guess I will wait for further development from the core team while I become more familiar with this promising project :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Doesn't stop you from thinking and writing down those thoughts for when you can use them :wink: