ISO Hammers = ouch

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

ISO Hammers = ouch

Post by Miramor »

Owwee. What are the blue beam weapons on these things? They seem to do about 3000 MJ/s, three of these ships tore my poor Derivative apart in about fifteen seconds... :shock:

(I think I need a cloaking device. Badly. And maybe a ship that can carry more than 8 HS missiles. Those ugly little Dostoevskys are starting to look rather nice. Oh, and where can I get those beams for my ship?)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Miramor wrote:Owwee. What are the blue beam weapons on these things? They seem to do about 3000 MJ/s, three of these ships tore my poor Derivative apart in about fifteen seconds... :shock:
See, i told you to take a Goddard. :wink:
Miramor wrote:I think I need a cloaking device. Badly.
Cloaking devices are not really needed once you get used to evading enemy fire.
Miramor wrote:And maybe a ship that can carry more than 8 HS missiles.
Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. :wink: It has 8 tubes and each tubes carry 500 missiles. :twisted:
Miramor wrote:Oh, and where can I get those beams for my ship?
Under beam weapons.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:
Miramor wrote:Owwee. What are the blue beam weapons on these things? They seem to do about 3000 MJ/s, three of these ships tore my poor Derivative apart in about fifteen seconds... :shock:
See, i told you to take a Goddard. :wink:
Miramor wrote:I think I need a cloaking device. Badly.
Cloaking devices are not really needed once you get used to evading enemy fire.
It's kind of hard to evade when there are three of them with autotracking, I don't think I'm that good yet. :lol:
Miramor wrote:And maybe a ship that can carry more than 8 HS missiles.
Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. :wink: It has 8 tubes and each tubes carry 500 missiles. :twisted: [/quote]

Hmm, sounds good. On the other hand, the maneuverability and depending-on-turrets part... not so good. I think I'll be holding off on the Goddard while I'm not doing capship-hunting.
Miramor wrote:Oh, and where can I get those beams for my ship?
Under beam weapons.
Light ion beams?
wanderer
Trader
Trader

Post by wanderer »

goddard turrets pah. I've only ever used the goddard turrets once. properly outfitted it can match anything, though on the version I got on a demo CD with a mag a few years ago (0.40 I believe) it could maxed out with 1000 upgrades so nothing could touch it short of one of those big arean dreadnoughts.

the goddard may not be as manuverable as a small hyena or any other small fighter but it's still quite manuverable and with it's auto tracking abilitys already built in there's very little that can stand up to it. heck I've taken on multiple squadrons of aevants and aelars with 20-30 fighters in each with out even scratching my paintwork.

as for the weapons used by the hammer they're just normal ion beams i believe. granted they're armed with 4 with pack quite a considerable punch but still just your normal everyday ion beam that can be bought just abount anywhere
Eat, drink, and be merry... for tomorrow we die!

yesterday we knelt before kings and bowed our necks to emperors,
today we make our stand and,
tomorrow we obay only the truth.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Eh, you guys make the Goddard sound significantly overpowered. Like a corvette masquerading as a bomber, or something.

(As for the current ship, I can think of two ways to go... Cloaking device and heavy ion beams, or no cloaking and long-range weapons. A pair of reaper cannons wouldn't be quite as damaging as the heavy ion beams, but could tear up those Hammers before they got in beam range. There's also something to be said for the nice, satisfying thud as your enemy's shields collapse.)
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Taking on the Hammers one at a time... Incredible. These things make Aristons look easy.

(Largely because a) I can actually dodge the fire from Aristons and b) my missiles work on them. These ISO thugs have some good ECM. Maybe I should try dumbfires.)
curufir
Merchant
Merchant

Post by curufir »

I read somewhere that heatseekers aren't effected by ECM.
Don't know if it's true.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Double post!
Last edited by targ collective on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

It'd be news to me if it were - thermal pulses are an easy ECM method.

Weren't the beams on the ISO ships Heavy Ion Beams?
wanderer
Trader
Trader

Post by wanderer »

targ collective wrote:It'd be news to me if it were - thermal pulses are an easy ECM method.

Weren't the beams on the ISO ships Heavy Ion Beams?
nope i just checked the hammer file just your normal every day light ion beams. along with torpedos and missiles
Eat, drink, and be merry... for tomorrow we die!

yesterday we knelt before kings and bowed our necks to emperors,
today we make our stand and,
tomorrow we obay only the truth.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Hey... Torpedoes? And are their missiles heatseekers?

Maybe that's what shredded my hull while I blinked. There were some rather big explosions going on, I might have missed something among my own heatseekers going off. I have to say those light ion beams are seriously powerful though, even with the range attenuation. I'll never think of fighters with quad light weapon mounts the same way again.

As for ECM... heatseekers are the only guided missiles I've ever seen hitting anything. The others, FoFs and imrecs, I've only seen missing... Even torps launched at each other by capships seem to miss 90% of the time, with most capship battles I've seen being decided by a Kahan's main guns.

Also, I've found that heatseekers have a pretty good chance of hitting Aera fighters, but that Hyenas and whatnot often evade them.
curufir
Merchant
Merchant

Post by curufir »

Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, if they're loaded with those a few probably hit me. Although... I tried loading out a Gawain with quad light ion beams, and the damage was pretty incredible, even at long range. Which is kind of weird, seeing the as how the damage drops by 15.9% per km. Maybe damage attenuation didn't work right in 0.4.3 either.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Ive never liked Goddards, yes, their tough and resiliant.. But I prefer fast, chase-type space combat, which requires a small ship and not a big chunky thing.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Well, I just took a mission for 18 Hammers, and this time I was prepared: milspec polyduranium armor, cloaking device, and dual reaper cannons, plus a gauss cannon in the missile bay.

Burn in, decloak, slide, open fire, first Hammer is an expanding cloud of gas in under a second. Cloak, turn around, burner, decloak, dodge the ion beams, open fire, boom, second hammer gone. Cloak, turn, burner...

Bang. From full shields and full armor to nil and dead in the blink of an eye, while cloaked no less. WTF?

(I can think of two things that might have happened... Either someone had a lucky hit with a torpedo, or one of the damn things collided with me. I'm leaning towards the torpedo, because those Hammers are kind of flimsy in spite of their firepower.)
Namlem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Namlem »

Yeah, Hammers can be kind of crazy with their torpedoes. One time I saw an Aeran Hammer (Hey, I was surprised too) take out two Clydesdale almost at the same time. The hammer was the only ship in the system other than the Clydesdale ones (there were like 18 total, but all allied). The only other way that thing could have been blown up was friendly fire.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

I think that's a bug actually, seeing as I've seen solo Lancelots (no anticapital weapons) take out starfortresses in under thirty seconds.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

Maybe it's the Deathstar effect? ... lucky shot down an unshielded exhaust port.
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

Omg, where can I get one of those huge ships? I mean, I've never seen any that other ships can dock with in a dealership!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

I think Clydesdales might be purchasable on Trantor-class planets. They're buggy as hell in the stable version though, and fly like a cow.
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Goddard. Wink It has 8 tubes and each tubes carry 500 missiles. Twisted Evil

the goddards ports only carry like 10 IR missiles each. not 500