Unusual munitions (0.4.3 stable)

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Unusual munitions (0.4.3 stable)

Post by Miramor »

Since I had a nasty encounter with some Luddite thugs, I decided to buy my Llama some better weapons: a couple of mass drivers to supplement the lasers, and some Breeze ammo. Unfortunately, upon my next encounter with said thugs, I discovered that the missiles were quite uneffective - they didn't move much faster than my ship, and not one of them exploded anywhere near the Redeemer I had locked.

So, while I load myself out with FoFs and heatseekers for my next mission, I'd like to know... can someone tell me how the various types of missiles work? Hephaestus, for instance - that works kind of like a Vulcan cannon, no? And what does "photon swarm" do?
sKaar
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sKaar »

if they're outrunning you and you're not as fast as them it's better to ignore and catch them during a patrol. if they've engaged you, and they're faster, you can fire some missiles when they turn back towards you, when their relative velocity is near zero, or are on the approach.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

So Breeze ammo is for low relative speeds? Ick.

(I recently purchased two Stormfire guns, and discovered the various ammo for them to be less than incredibly useful. I'd expect more damage... oh well. On the other hand, Hephaestus PD is long range and easy to hit things with, so it kind of works against flimsy trash like Pirate Hyenas. As for photon swarm ammo... Tried some of that and can't see how it would be useful for anything other than slow, piggish ships at short range. Unless missile mounts can have autotracking.)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Unless missile mounts can have autotracking.
Yes they can :D great for getting those dumb fires on target :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Dang! I'll have to try that. It would be expensive but it sounds great for dealing with the Aera.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Hey, would someone mind telling me how to set the rapid fire key to something on the keyboard? I haven't been able to find any *specific* instructions (i.e. what's the command? RapidFireKey?), only tutorials on how to edit the config file (obvious, it's XML) and people saying that rapid fire doesn't work for them.

(I tried using the mouse too. Not only do both kinds of mouse control suck utterly, none of the mouse buttons have the proper rapid fire functionality.)
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Hmm, it looks like autotracking missiles didn't work in 0.4.3. My dumbfires still shoot dead ahead when the target's in my tracking cone and locked on.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Remember rapid fire will not increase the refire rate of any weapon most of the weapons have fixed recharge and refire and some of them will explode break if overheated why you can buy a gun cooling sub-system 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

loki1950 wrote:Remember rapid fire will not increase the refire rate of any weapon most of the weapons have fixed recharge and refire and some of them will explode break if overheated why you can buy a gun cooling sub-system 8)

Yeah, I know what rapid fire does - it fires missiles as long as you hold it down, with the normal reload time. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it working, and it would be nice to have a way of spamming swarm ammo and whatnot without hitting the return key again and again...
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Okay, I still can't seem to get rapid fire to work no matter what I do. Assign "RapidFireKey" to Return, hold down return -> nothing, not even one missile fires. Is there a way to fire missiles one after another without repeatedly hitting the key when using keyboard-only mode, or is this another thing that's broken in 0.4.3?
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by whatch1 »

Did you try increasing the repeat rate on your keyboard settings

control panel in windows
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Not Windows, and not a repeat rate issue (MissileKey never repeats)... sorry.