How to make half a million credits without leaving orbit

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
DancesWithProtons
Hunter
Hunter

How to make half a million credits without leaving orbit

Post by DancesWithProtons »

Here's a method that is totally opportunistic and depends on finding a Clydesdale headed in-orbit. These big guys take forever and swing well within the docking orbit of the planet before swinging back out.

First, locate said Clydesdale that is within the docking orbit. Then align yourself going along the same direction so any changes by the Clyde will not affect you too much, then set your ship to match target velocity (home) and bring yourself in to the docking port. I aligned myself inverted right next to the foreward one, alongside the big projecting fin. (cool turrets on the Clyde btw)
Now simply dock with the planet, fill up, launch, switch targeting to the Clyde, maybe boost a bit with afterburner to get yourself back in the docking range of the big beast, dock with the Clyde, sell, launch, switch back to the planet, then repeat.

It helps to use the alt-# keys to assign targets so you can easily switch back and forth. It also helps to invest 30k in a plowshare, no upgrades needed, and make it take a lot shorter time than in your trusty Llama. (you will need to invest in a reactor so you can AB to catch up to the Clyde) I made over 700k very quickly until Atlantis was near emptly, and the hardest thing was making sure I was within the docking range of the Clydesdale rather than the planet. (Even though I was targeted on the Clyde, if I was not almost dead on the docking port, I docked dirtside.)

Of course I then spent a bunch of it to outfit my Plowshare, but hey that's what it's for.
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

Hm...nice. Only it's kinda difficult docking a mule to a clyde. At least my manouvering skills are not enough to dock to a moving ship without actually either ramming it or missing it.
But with a goddard or llama it should be possible.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
DancesWithProtons
Hunter
Hunter

Post by DancesWithProtons »

If you set yourself up on a nice approach from behind and below and the big beast isn't maneuvering too much, just a steady run, you should have no problem. I have as yet to pilot a Mule, but I know in my Plowshare it was no problem.
It's got twin Repulsor beams, twin Ion beams, almost 400 Hail and Killerbee rounds, autotracking, gun cooler, Isometal armor, second hull, double ablative coating, Mult thrust, speed and turn, AB/overdrive, dual secondary thrusters, jump drive, ZX-86 radar, ECM3, max shields, max reactor, an R2 unit and a cloaking device. I mean it's a Llama and all, but...

Current fleet: Llama, Plowshare, Mule, Progeny Admonisher, Pacifier.

Current kills: 192
Ramnath
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Ramnath »

You made 700k? How much did the clydesdale buy the atlantis cargo for and does it have to be a water planet for this trick to work?
According to all the aera I have run into, I have no honor.
em3rald
Star Pilot
Star Pilot
Location: Alberta, Canada, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy ....

Post by em3rald »

I'm surprised no one has tried MY method, which is a little more mundane, but equally enriching. Luckily, any schmoe can do this, and it's REALLY easy. Not painful at all.

PART A

1) Find a system with the following arrangements (there are lots, and other setups may apply).

Code: Select all

OCEANIC planet and one or more MINING colony or FACTORY colony
2) Assuming you only have your trusty Llama, go to the Oceanic planet and load up on Seafood, and other foods (seafood usually gives decent profit).

3) Go to the mining colony and sell. Use F9 to compress time when travelling (assuming you have no hostiles nearby). At the mining colony, load up on ores & other abundant goodies.

4) Sell on Oceanic.

HERE'S THE TRICK:

Code: Select all

1) Once you can afford a BIG ship, buy one.  Plowshare is fine, but bigger is better (to a point).  NO upgrades required, not even an engine.  NOTHING.

2) Load your ugly beast with EVERYTHING you can find that you think will be profitable.  In our scenario, all compressed gases, all foods, and most booze will work fine.

3) IMPORTANT!!  Go to the shipyard and "buy" your Llama back (for $0).

4) Launch and fly to the mining colony.

5) IMPORTANT!!  Go to the shipyard and "buy" your Plowshare (or other ugly beast) back.

6) Go sell all your stuff.  Now load up on profitable stuff.

7) IMPORTANT!!  Go back to the shipyard and "buy" your Llama back for the return flight.
WHY would I do this? Because I don't want to outfit some ugly beast to do all my shipping in safety. Rather, I want to have the benefits of a HUGE hold, but do all my flying with my tricked-out Llama.

If you find a SUPER profitable shipping route, follow the same procedure, except it will cost you a measly $6000 to get your plowshare transported to your new system each time.

In NO time at all, you will have millions. It took me about 30 minutes to raise over 500 Grand. Pretty slick. This may be a "bug", but I hope it's a happy bug that gets to stay :D
I'm married to an alt-rock singer. Her band's called "Anxiety of Influence" and they sound reminiscent of Evanescence. Anyone who's interested is welcome to check out http://anxietyofinfluence.ca. They're allowing free downloads of their professionally recorded demo :D. No need to thank me, I know you love me ;)
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

hello

This is off topic, sorry
@em3rald
Quit cheeky :lol:
t had an ear at the song "Insomniac" and I don't see the difference between "Anxiety of Influence" and "Evanessance", it could be the same band, I test it tommorow with my girlfriend and tell her it's a new song from Evanessance. :wink:
If she realises the difference, I don't know. Cool stuff 8)

Regards
Plueschinger
em3rald
Star Pilot
Star Pilot
Location: Alberta, Canada, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy ....

Post by em3rald »

plueschinger wrote:hello

This is off topic, sorry
@em3rald
Quit cheeky :lol:
t had an ear at the song "Insomniac" and I don't see the difference between "Anxiety of Influence" and "Evanessance", it could be the same band, ....
Regards
Plueschinger
Haha ... cheeky ;) Yeah she's gotten that before. But my wife (Rochelle) has a substantially different voice. Amy Lee goes more for the sustained high notes, whereas Rochelle gets a little grittier and doesn't go as high. Plus Rochelle can do more powerful lows than Amy Lee. Mind you, maybe I am biased ;). Listen to the other songs and let me know what you think (or go post on her messageboard).

Anyway, as far as making money in the game, I actually found another post with much the same process in it, so I am not alone in my technique. I'd love to see some campaign aspect to the game, though. Or perhaps a more complicated mission - something that involves maybe diplomatic relations or something. And becoming a member of a guild or something. Just a thought.
I'm married to an alt-rock singer. Her band's called "Anxiety of Influence" and they sound reminiscent of Evanescence. Anyone who's interested is welcome to check out http://anxietyofinfluence.ca. They're allowing free downloads of their professionally recorded demo :D. No need to thank me, I know you love me ;)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

OT too: Yup. Very Good. Amylee-esque but different somehow. Thanks for the free tracks! :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
simplex.spes
Trader
Trader

Post by simplex.spes »

To Megatherion wrote:Only it's kinda difficult docking a mule to a clyde. At least my manouvering skills are not enough to dock to a moving ship without actually either ramming it or missing it.
But with a goddard or llama it should be possible.
Cargo ships are so slow and un-maneuverable I fly my derivative around instead and just have my mule shipped wherever I go. No fancy docking procedures, no worries about pirates, just a little expense to ship it to different systems. But with that much cargo room, I can afford it.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

I tried that, and I crashed & burnt. :o
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

I tried that, and I crashed & burnt. :twisted: