Spec Drive and or regular flight

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
onevette
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Spec Drive and or regular flight

Post by onevette »

Question, I am new to Vega Strike but have played Priv Remake. When approaching jump points in Spec or Regular Flight sometimes my space craft races past the jump and I cannot slow the spacecraft down. Have t wait for spacecraft to stop then reapproach the jump point. Very strange even when pointed at the jump point sometimes the spacecraft continues away in what appears to be reverse at a sometimes high rate of speed.

Any solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated :lol:
You can't set the coarse for where your going. Until you know where you are.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Welcome to realistic physics. :D

The "problem" you're experiencing is that your ship cannot, and will not, stop on a dime if you're moving at a high velocity. So, when you're aimed at the target and it's sliding past, you're still moving in the same direction you were previously aimed in, and will continue to do so until the ship can generate enough thrust to change it's course.

Few other games use physics like this, especially Wing Commander/Privateer. Check out the manual for more details: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... Navigation
Spaceman Spliff
Trader
Trader

Post by Spaceman Spliff »

I've noticed I don't usually ever need to go faster than around 2,000 m/s. This is a good speed because even with a Plowshare, it's slow enough that you can correct course easily, and for me it is fast enough it doesn't take me too terribly long to get away from the planet/facility/wormhole to go into SPEC. And in SPEC even the relatively "slow" 2000 m/s is enough to shoot you across the system.

The only time I usually go faster, is if I need to run away from enemies and thus can't use SPEC anytime soon. But usually once I am far enough away I can safely go into SPEC I try to "slow down" as much as possible before entering SPEC since high conventional speeds plus sudden SPEC makes for overshooting things easily.
:wink:

Oh, this is for normal VS, 0.4.3; the speeds or accelerations may be different in other mods or versions I suppose...
:?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

that unit you are using spaceman spiff is km/h in 0.4.3 it is the CVS that you get meters/s

Enjoy the Choice :)
Spaceman Spliff
Trader
Trader

Post by Spaceman Spliff »

loki1950 wrote:that unit you are using spaceman spiff is km/h in 0.4.3 it is the CVS that you get meters/s

Enjoy the Choice :)
Meh... I knew that, but read that they switched to m/s, and was just hoping it was changed before 0.4.3... cuz yeah I saw the km/h in the ship spec screens and thought, "what a bad unit for space," for some reason.

Oh yeah, and I'm "Spliff", not "Spiff". :wink:
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

What you see on the ship info screen is km/h. What you see on your HUD is m/s. At least, that's how CVS was a couple weeks ago.

Look at your ship info, and check the max governor speed. Then accelerate to maximum. If the numbers match, then I guess your HUD is reporting kph.
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

m/s * 3.6 = km/h

;)