Where do I buy a cloaking device?

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
Seventh Holy Scripture

Where do I buy a cloaking device?

Post by Seventh Holy Scripture »

I saw one long ago when I was too poor to afford it, but have been shopping around the Redemption sector and can't seem to find one again.

It's in the 'Miscellanious' section, right?
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

i think it's in the 'Experimental' section, but i'm not sure about that.

The last time i bought a cloaking device i got it at a research station, but i think you will also get it at a starfortress or a fighterbase

Pontiac

PS: no guarantee ony anything i just said, this (buying a c.d.) was a long time ago :)
IxianMace
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by IxianMace »

Pontiac is right, it's in the Experimental section (I'm assuming you're running Vegastrike 0.4.2).

I've found cloaking devices at the following types of places:

Research stations
Starfortresses
Kahans (human capital ship)
Teslas (human capital ship)
Fighter Barracks

There is also an Aera military spec version of the cloaking device. The description of the Aera military spec cloaking device compared to the standard cloaking device gives me the impression that the Aera military spec cloaking device is inferior to the standard one, but I've never tried it out for comparison. You can find the Aera military spec cloaking device on some Aera capital ships, Aera starfortresses, and Aera Fighter Barracks.
Last edited by IxianMace on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
zazen
Trader
Trader

Post by zazen »

I got a cargo mission once to deliver some cloaking devices.. when i was jumping to the system where i had to deliver the stuff to i got this message on my hud.. you will be given 17 of the 30 something items.. when i delivered the cargo i found i could buy the cloaking devices from the ship i delivered it to.. isn't that wierd? was that what the message meant? wouldn't it be better to just leave those items in my cargo bay? Anyone else ever seen this message?
Black tea, with a bit of milk.. and don't steal the sugar please!!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ya that's been fixed in CVS
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
mejobloggs_
Trader
Trader

Post by mejobloggs_ »

After heaps of searching, my 3 ships all boast cloaking devices. Each one was found on a clysdale. I have never seen one before or after in a different place, so try looking in clysdales.
Nightshadow3002
Trader
Trader

Post by Nightshadow3002 »

I found "my" cloaking device very easy (and somewhat early in the game, but not that early not to be able to afford it) in the starfortress in Cru./Stirling.

:lol:
Enjoy the Night
Nightshadow

All my enemies now Rest in Pieces!
Stranger
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Cost?

Post by Stranger »

Hello, everyone; this is my first post.

I apologize for reviving the thread, but I can't help but ask, and this seems to be a fitting place. How much does a cloaking device cost? Furthermore, does anyone happen to know systems in which it seems to exist often, or are these things random?
(format t (2B|!2B-p))
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

In CVS at least, they cost 259,000 credits. However, I was unable to fit one to any of my ships last time I tried, which was a while ago. This may have been fixed, but the data files say the price is the same.

Also, the price is the same for both the human and Aera devices. (Who would've thought two warring races would get together and conspire to price fixing? :P)
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Also, (I do have a lot of questions...) is there a technical difference between Aera and human cloakers? From the description, it seems as though the Aera devices are inferior.
(format t (2B|!2B-p))
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

As far as I can tell, they're literally the exact same device. There's only a single entry for both in the appropriate files. They're just marketed differently.

Note that I've had at least two occasions where the Aera saw through my cloak and killed me, but nobody else has. So the description of the Aera cloaking device might just be their take on it -- same as the news is all told from an Aeran point of view on Aeran bases. That is, they can see through it, so they consider it inferior.
Gurney
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Gurney »

I just bought cloak devs. for both of my ships in a system controlled by the Purist. Two Research stations, next to each other, one pretty well equipped...
To Megatherion
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by To Megatherion »

I, too, realized that the Aera can see through Cloaking Devices. I accepted a Patrol Mission (encounters with aera forces likely) and although my approval rating with the aera was 100, whenever I reached a point I had to scan some ships appeared and immediately fired at me.
Since I didn't have any chance of killing them and didn't want to, neither, I fled. Reaching a planet I checked my relations and still had +100 with the aera. Nevertheless the ships that spawned on my patrol remained hostile and nearly blew me to pieces.
Just like Lot's wife I could never look back

Megatherion - selling YOUR wines all over the Galaxy.
If you're producing wine that deserves the name and need clients in all parts of the universe, be sure to check and call 1-800-MEGATHERION!
Only the best wines - everywhere.
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Yeah, ships have their own relations with you, independent (but usually based on) the faction relations. If you chat enough with a hostile ship, or say enough rude things to (or attack) a friendly ship, they'll change their own relations but the faction relations will only change very slightly.

When they say "encounters", they always mean hostile. And if they can see you, they'll attack. Other factions seem to be somewhat neutral when I arrive cloaked, but I haven't decloaked to see if they would attack.