SPEC drive tips

Post your best tactics and strategies for getting the big bux in Vega Strike
JungleJim
Hunter
Hunter

Post by JungleJim »

To put it another way, you make your 100 degree turn in the same time in SPEC drive that you would make doing the turn in your normal drive.

The method I've adopted (others might be possible) for making tight turns is to drop out of SPEC drive, perform the turn, wait for the velocity vector to align with my direction, and then resume SPEC drive.

This avoids the confusion slide effect you see in SPEC drive when your velocity vector doesn't align with your direction vector.

BTW, as an example of this, try running your normal drive at a low setting (like 50) turn on SPEC drive and make a bunch of turns. You'll notice that there's very little sliding. This is due to the small inertia of the normal drive at such a low setting.

The opposite of this is turning on your "flight" drive, building up a huge amount of inertia (in the multiple 1000s), and then try turning. It takes a long time for the 2 vectors to align and you skitter about in odd directions until they do.

Be seeing you,
Be seeing you,
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

m00?

Post by fizze »

yeah, I agree. it takes _some_ getting used to ;)

I also found it very handy to use the spec drive when flying VERY slow (like 10-20-30) to approach a station, base or capship to dock with.
since u are able to come to a full halt within fractions of a second BUT still maintain quite some velocity, its handy and saves time.

yet I think the SPEC drive is far from being 100% in its final stages, but its a good piece, even now :)
Terl
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Terl »

The method I've adopted (others might be possible) for making tight turns is to drop out of SPEC drive, perform the turn, wait for the velocity vector to align with my direction, and then resume SPEC drive.
Is the vector shown by the small + that rotates around the outer portion of the radar (The one on the right) on the lower part of the screen?
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

hrhr

Post by fizze »

the vectors aint shown anywhere. the + on the radar is a locked target.

you only notice that the vectors differ if the direction you are pointing your nose (the ship) at is not the direction you are moving towards.

as in, aim your ship at a jumppoint and fly there straight, you will notice your ship will move in another direction, if you did any hard turns first.

yes, turning off spec and waiting for the vectors to re-adjust greatly helps. :)

I, on the other hand dont fly away from planets in order to get more spec speed. I just kick in the flight drive at maximum speed to compensate.
as soon as I notice the spec accelerating, I turn flight mode off.
Terl
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Terl »

the vectors aint shown anywhere. the + on the radar is a locked target.
Then why does that little + spin around the outer edge of that radar even with little or no change in where I point? I have been watching it lately, assuming that it was my locked on point, but even holding the nose of the ship (green target reticle) on the target steadily, the little + moves all over...
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

rounding

Post by fizze »

because its the rear view radar, and since the target is absolutely in front of you, the resulting mathematical rounding errors cause the target to be shown from changing directions "behind view".

dont bother, its just a lack of accuracy with numbers ;)
Terl
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Terl »

D'oh! :oops: I forgot that one was the rear radar. Oh well. I am doing well so far in my current game. Makin' some bucks for my first upgrade. Thanks for the help!