German translation - bartender.py RC1

Discussion and planning of required developer support for multiple languages, and design and commentary on tools and techniques to assist with the automation of generating language specific structures.
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

German translation - bartender.py RC1

Post by rockstar »

Today I've finished the translation of the bartender conversation covered in the bartender.py file. I guess there still might be some mistakes, but it's clean enough to call it my release candidate #1. The text is translated as close as possible to the original.

I would really appreciate some feedback from the german speaking community here... The .zip archive contains all files I've worked with and which might be of any interest. I hope you like it.

I already PMed plueschinger so he can have a detailed look into my translation...
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

On first glance it looks great!

Good Job.
Some things I would do different:
wenn ich mit ein paar mehr Speditionsarbeitern gesprochen habe, die hier nachher noch auftauchen.
instead of "Speditionsarbeiter" I would use "Lagerarbeiter" or simply "Arbeiter". No need in beeing specific.
And I would point say something like (avoid long Sentences. :) Reads better.):

Code: Select all

Komm später nochmal. Dann habe ich mit den Arbeitern geredet, die hier immer einen heben.
"Der hier geht auf's Haus. Wir haben gerade Happy Hour!"
Turn the sentences. Sonds better if the Barkeeper says.

Code: Select all

Wir hamn gerade Happy Hour, der geht auf's Haus!
Keep the Good Work up :D
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Ok, thank you very much for spending some time with lokking into the file. It's just the first release, so I'll have to retouch several things anyways later. There are other sentences too long and some of the translations ain't appropriate.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

np. I saw that. Was just a short peek realy :D
I will see if I can peek later again and I pm you if I find more suggestions. :D
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I think plueschinger wanted to get this commited into SVN... how and what should be commited? Are there are two variations for different encodings? Which should end up in the repository?

Thanks.
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hi

I gave up to offer my code to SV... dont know what, I started a own project.
My project is called Vegadeutsch, and you can find it under sourceforge.net,
ok, I did nearly nothing the last 5 month, but at this stage only the news were not translated.
I hope until end of sebtember I have the time to do this.

Regards
Plueschinger
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

For the record, I've commited the entire Vegadeutsch translation package to /trunk/translations/deutsch/0.4.3

I was looking for a way to have clean, modular translations using the mod technique. That is, placing the files in {Vega Strike data directory}/mods/de and starting vegastrike with the -Mde option (-Mfoldername for any mod). Currently this works if you want the translation (if you copy/symlink factions.xml in) but it breaks the regular english version- the only way to *not* have the german files load is by relocating them.

I'll look into ways we could define new behavior for the engine to help the modular loading of translation packages. But if you *want* the translation pack this is a good way to install it cleanly.