German Vega Strike Manual: Vega Strike Terms

Discussion and planning of required developer support for multiple languages, and design and commentary on tools and techniques to assist with the automation of generating language specific structures.
Thomas
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

German Vega Strike Manual: Vega Strike Terms

Post by Thomas »

Hello,
as suggested in German translation of vegastrike I open a new thread to discuss the German manual.

As a native German speaker I was both happy and surprised when I found the little bit of manual that has been translated to German so far. I started to edit some parts to more natural German and to translate the beginner's tutorial. While doing so, I had to find German words for Vega Strike terms like the "Main Concourse", which I couldn't translate literally because it would sound rather strange in German. :?: Now I'm wondering what other German speaking Vega Strike players think about the words I found (with my family's help).

So, to all German speakers: Please read the German manual and post your comments! If we find good terms, this might also support a possible German translation of Vega Strike itself.
Dreamweb
Explorer
Explorer

Things are rollin'

Post by Dreamweb »

Hi Thomas,

Nice to hear / read that you find the little start encouraging. Had a quick look at your translation and I personally think it's in the right style - a good balance between formal and informal style. Well, the problem with some specific words - why not not just post them here in the forum? If one on his own won't find a proper solution, the others will have surely one. Hmm..., main concourse - I personally used "Haupthalle" - "Lobby" sounds a bit too comfy for me. If any word poses to be a real mystery I can look it up in the OED, just post it.

Unfortunately I'm a little bit short on time right now (for the next two weeks to be precisely - but I try to translate some of the installation part.
Hmm, thats all from my side for now... maybe besides the appeal that everyone who is translating should (please) announce the respective part he is working on. Could prove a bit frustrating if two people translate the same part... :)

P.S.: Hmm..., don't want to provoke a thread overkill... but maybe a new thread for special vocabulary request / discussion would be useful? Opinions?
Blasphemy is when the voiceless speak...
Thomas
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Thomas »

I think "Haupthalle" is good for "Main Concourse". I already changed it in the translation. After the weekend I will continue with the tutorial until it's finished and then continue with the flight instructions.
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

uah!
haupthalle klingt dämlich, sorry. ;)

main concourse heisst eigentlich "haupt-wartehalle" oder so.

momentan fällt mir auch nix besseres ein. bin aber mal wieder froh, dass das forum hier wieder funzt. :)

find auch die ansätze gut. werd hier wieder öfter reinschaun.

"Lobby" find ich auch unpassend. das erinnert an ein Hotel.
naja auch egal. :roll: :wink:

rock on,
fizze
Dreamweb
Explorer
Explorer

German Wiki and Manual

Post by Dreamweb »

Hello again!

Had very little time left to do some translation work, but well, better late then never. 8)

Here the few Additions:

Manual:Installation:Save and Load - Translated
VegaStrike:WikiStartPage - added and partially translated (ahem)
Links - added and partially translated, added some more links

I added a small "Aktuelles" headline - I thought there could maybe posted some official announcements of the Vega Strike team, like major work progress or upcoming releases... just an idea.

By the way: what is the official spelling of VS: "Vega Strike" or "Vegastrike"? Both is used frequently in the Manual...
Mabye Vega Strike is the noun... and Vegastrike the Verb??!
I'm vegastriking , I will vegastrike, I have been vegastricken... :twisted:

So long!
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Officially, it's Vega Strike.
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Hey Leutz,

silence since over two month now. Is there still progress going on concerning the german Wiki translation or did you guys get bored?

Btw. I would suggest to use the english words for fixed terms like "main concourse" and add a german translation in braces - Main Concourse (Haupthalle) . There's no german translation for the game itself, so it would be less helpfull for users to translate words making you orientate in menus and stuff.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Dreamweb
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Dreamweb »

Hi,

just wanted to say that someones still there. :) Just had not the opportunity to do some translating, as I was really short on time in the last months. But I'm still trying to push the translation a bit forward - although it will be in very small steps - there are many term papers to write and exams to pass - arrgh!

Well, of course it would be a good idea to have some standardization - dictionary for such specific terms like "main concourse", regarding a later translation of the game per se, but - honestly I'm doubting that this project can be realized in the near future.

Maybe it's better to wait for the next version of the game, as far as I remeber there will be some major changes in the code / technical structure of the game?

So long!
Dreamweb
Explorer
Explorer

Translation Terms of German Version (Vegadeutsch) and German

Post by Dreamweb »

Just posting some of my translated terms from the Manual, which I think are arguable, mainly in respect to possible synonyms in the German Translation ("Vegadeutsch".), which I've never played.
Would be great to have some synergy effects:
  • Engl. Term | Transl. in Use | Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------------------

on gimbals - beweglich aufgehängt - kardanisch

HUD - HUD - ???

ITTS - Massenträgheitszielverfolgungssystem - ???

Mission Computer - Missionscomputer - ???

Shipyard - Werft - ???

Targeting Diamond - (Ziel-)Raute - (Ziel-)Klammer

Wing - Rotte - Flügel
to be continued :P
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Shipyard -- Werft -- Dock perhaps might fit also.
Target-diamond -- Zielindikator -- "Zielkreuz"