Translation problems (files, code, ....)

For these who want to play at Vega Strike in french, come here!<br>Pour ceux qui veulent jouer à Vega Strike en français, c'est ici!

Moderator: Gorrünwe

Gorrünwe
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Translation problems (files, code, ....)

Post by Gorrünwe »

Ok, now i have a new sort of problem: i try to translate all the factions names so that they appear in french, not only in the reputation list, but also in the missions screen and the ships/stations names

The problem is that when i modify the modules/factions_ships.py (i replace english names between " by the french ones), it makes the game crash...
... In the top of this file, there are links to other files. But when i go into each of them and modify the factions name in the same maneer, it stills crash!

What the problem? :roll:
Gorrünwe
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hmm...........factions are kindof linked quite heavilly with their english description, many data files depend on them being what they are, so any incomplete attempt to change them will lead to a crash :-)

So it's probably best to try to do something else first, then we can work out what needs to change regarding faction names etc :-) (I would argue that most factions do not need to change, but maybe merchant, pirates, homeland security are exceptions)...

Dan.a
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

<blind thought>

What about some sort of overlay. Behind the scenes keep the english wording, but for appearance the overlay compares english to (insert language here), and prints the overlay result to the screen?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

Perhaps we should implement a tabular system in which each faction, etc. has a "refer_name" that the game uses and is consistent across all translations, but whenever a name is to be printed on-screen it pulls the words from a second "display_name" field for that faction.
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
Gorrünwe
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gorrünwe »

Sure that there are many other things to do! :D
But, this problem is important: having the whole text in french, except the factions names is strange... :?

Maybe, i could add code lines into the dynamic_missions.py, so that the factions names change LOCALLY (at the start of the file, the names are translated in french. At the end of the file, they are restored in enlish)

It would be a bit long to make. But when one make this kind of thing one time, it just need to copy-paste to the other pages... 8)
Gorrünwe
Gorrünwe
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gorrünwe »

Hello everyone!

I have *another* problem... This time, i need to know where are stored stars/jump points/planets/stations names. Some of these will remain the same but some of them must be "frenched"...

... Anyone knows? :D
Gorrünwe
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

universe/*.txt
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Gorrünwe
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gorrünwe »

hellcatv wrote:universe/*.txt
Thanks!
Are there some dependencies between these names and some script files (such as conditions: if (planet==casimir) )?
Gorrünwe
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Gorrünwe wrote:Are there some dependencies between these names and some script files (such as conditions: if (planet==casimir) )?
hmm......only in cephid_17 currently (in cvs, so it may not be that way come release) ..... but this may be a problem. Hellcat, what do you think? I think it might be a bit of trouble trying to keep two different (english/french) universes working at the same time :-/ Especially as we start having campaigns and stuff implemented.

Dan.a
Gorrünwe
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Gorrünwe »

dandandaman wrote:
Gorrünwe wrote:Are there some dependencies between these names and some script files (such as conditions: if (planet==casimir) )?
hmm......only in cephid_17 currently (in cvs, so it may not be that way come release) ..... but this may be a problem. Hellcat, what do you think? I think it might be a bit of trouble trying to keep two different (english/french) universes working at the same time :-/ Especially as we start having campaigns and stuff implemented.

Dan.a
I don't think the problem will be so important: as i said, i'll translate only few names. Concerning "Cephid 17", it'll remain the same. :D
Gorrünwe