svn savegames

Mods set in/based on the Vega Strike Universe. Black Paralysis, Fleet Commander, Pax Imperium: The Gathering, and others
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

svn savegames

Post by pheldens »

- savegames that are loaded, reset the base tradegood counters to the values they were when you entered the base. Even when you bought goods at the base and put them in your cargo bays before saving. Thats exploitable, save/load/trade/save/load/trade/etc would fill you up bays nicely.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, that's a known issue.
I wonder if there's an elegant way to fix it... (noone has thought of one such fix yet - it's really tricky, it's kind of how the engine works).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Yes, the engine doesn't store the amount of cargo a base has. It just generates the amount from a mean value and a standard deviation every time you land there (starting and landing, or saving and reloading). This is the drawback of such a procedural generation. On the other hand, it's not feasible (in the large scale) to store the amount of goods for every base in the VS universe. Depends, of course, on whether or not the VS universe will be finite. Currently it has some thousand reachable stars.
Last edited by Zeog on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Could be fixed by saving just for the system you're in, while keeping the rest procedural. Sorry; couldn't help saying it.

EDIT: In fact, you probably don't calculate prices for all systems all the time, even procedurally, right? The procedural method, I'm sure, is used only for the base you land in. What I would do is use procedural initialization the first time you enter a system, for all bases therein; and something more intuitive while you trade within that system; then go procedural at initializing a new system when you go to it.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Could be fixed by saving just for the system you're in, while keeping the rest procedural. Sorry; couldn't help saying it.

EDIT: In fact, you probably don't calculate prices for all systems all the time, even procedurally, right? The procedural method, I'm sure, is used only for the base you land in. What I would do is use procedural initialization the first time you enter a system, for all bases therein; and something more intuitive while you trade within that system; then go procedural at initializing a new system when you go to it.
That makes sense.
The problem is implementing it.

Though, I lately did add a few facilities for storing complex data like that on the savegame.
I'll see if that's of any use...
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Well, not that it's any of my business, VS stuff I mean, but just thought I'd add, all that news crap that is stored to savegames, inflating the save files like crazy, could be saved as the seeds that were used to generate it, instead of as full text, I would think.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Not really, as it's not completely random.
It gets generated according to what actually happens around you. Regenerating it is... well... kind of infeassible.

But it would be a good idea to prune it from time to time.
Yes, I do think the news in the savegame are awful, inelegant and bloated. But I don't have a much better solution right now (thinking).
Wing Commander Universe
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pheldens »

or, save midair, and not on bases?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You start with a simple request and...

(in theory, not that complex, but in practice, rendering the interaface would be troublesome - maybe in 0.5.x)
Wing Commander Universe