Couldn't sell cargo...in savegame was....

Mods set in/based on the Vega Strike Universe. Black Paralysis, Fleet Commander, Pax Imperium: The Gathering, and others
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Couldn't sell cargo...in savegame was....

Post by Wendy-J »

I was having problems buying and selling cargo.
I started looking for the odd extra } I sometimes find when that happens. Not this time.
Instead, I found several @| at the ends of the names of some of the ships in my armada. sort of like "Franklin.stock@|Crucible...." OR it was "Franklin.hunter|@| Crucible...." BOTH iterations. I haven't found any other errors, VS didn't act oddly before that and I haven't a clue why it happened. There's nothing odd in my error logs. Mind you, it didn't happen to the ship I was using, it happened to other ships. And NO, It didn't happen from bad copy/pasting to get my desired fleet. That was done cleanly.

I'm using:
OS - Mint 13 Maya 32bit
Game File sets
vegastrike-music 0.5.1.r-1-1
vegastrike-data 0.5.1.r-1-2
vegastrike-extra 0.5.1.r-1-3
vegastrike-speech 0.5.1.r-1-3
vegastrike 0.5.1.r-1-3
vegastrike-dbg 0.5.1.r-1-3

System Pentium-4 - 3.1GHz - hyperthreading enabled
2GB system RAM
nVidia GeForce 6200 256MB discrete video card

Game Config settings
1GB RAM - 1GB Swap -- Hasty Game Play -- All Sound -- Low Volume
---- It WAS All Linux sound when I configured it, but after the update, it changed it and I didn't notice.
High Detail -- 1024 textures -- Faction Textures On -- Avg Shader
1280x800 -- 32bit Colour was FULL screen is now windowed -- Mouse Warping -- 2 Axis Joystick
Accelerated Visual -- Autodocker ON

Since when??

I'm going to try and replicate it. Let's see if it happens again. Problem is, I started and stopped the game several times, so the issue -- whenever it happened -- was wiped from the logs.

w.

[Edit]
No, I was not UNDER base weight. With the upgrades, I was 10% over. Yes, I have found that little quirk. You can't sell off goods or upgrades if the sale brings your ship under its supposed base weight. Nice trick.

w.
Last edited by Wendy-J on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Couldn't sell cargo...in savegame was....

Post by loki1950 »

You might try running from a terminal and piping the output to a couple of files so that you capture each run of the game separately.It sound like the save game is being corrupted somehow.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

loki1950 wrote:You might try running from a terminal and piping the output to a couple of files so that you capture each run of the game separately.It sound like the save game is being corrupted somehow.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Ooh! forgot all aout that!
Not that I ran into the problem again.
I have found I get issues when i buy and sell with rapid mouse clicks. I need to click, pause click, else the mouse click doesn't register, or the sale or purchase winds up dirty. I also save several times every time I save and I usually do it as rapidly as possible so I can get back out there and make more credits.

[Edit]
Separate names, sometimes with just one character difference. i.e. save and save~.
[/Edit]

If I have sales and purchase probs from going too fast for the game, it stands to reason I might be corrupting my saves the same way.

I'll set up a widget to launch VS through a terminal window from now on.

I noticed that FTL travel is wonky with r1-3. With a full load in a Thales, you wind up several light seconds short of the target, shoot past your destination, then have to go back and fall back out a 1.2 Light Seconds. Sometimes rapid repeated depressing of the "a" key gets you there. Sometimes not. Sometimes you wind up overshooting again.

w.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

In r-1-1 I was having problems when launching after landing at a base, station etc.... I'd launch and part of my ship would be inside the base, tearing my shields apart and killing me in the process. No amount of accellerating or steering got me free without the Red Harbinger of Death showing up seconds later. Now I wind up miles and miles away from the base when I come out of FTL travel and have issues getting there.

It's something to look more closely at.
I'll run a standard ship instead of one of my own next time and see if there is a difference.

As a point of reference, my ship has those issues mostly when I've a full hold of something like metals. REALLY HEAVY loads cause issues.

[Edit]
So far, I've been unable to replicate the odd behaviour on the purchases, saves and travel. I'd bet it's my non-standard ships that are causing it.

I HAVE been able to replicate the crash on launch. I get a seg fault as it tries to autosave. It may be that there is a call for a ship and no xml file. I loaded the ship, equpped it and we'll see. Again, it was a nonstandard game save that was causing it.

The line that fried me was this one: "Force Feedback support disabled when compiled"

Care to guess which joystick I wish I could use in game? AVB Top Shot Pegasus. I have two of them.
[/Edit]
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Wendy-J wrote:I was having problems buying and selling cargo.
I started looking for the odd extra } I sometimes find when that happens. Not this time.
Instead, I found several @| at the ends of the names of some of the ships in my armada. sort of like "Franklin.stock@|Crucible...." OR it was "Franklin.hunter|@| Crucible...." BOTH iterations. I haven't found any other errors, VS didn't act oddly before that and I haven't a clue why it happened. There's nothing odd in my error logs. Mind you, it didn't happen to the ship I was using, it happened to other ships. And NO, It didn't happen from bad copy/pasting to get my desired fleet. That was done cleanly.
It *might* be normal. VS uses a custom pickling format (since standard cPickle is both hard to ship in windows, and quite save un-friendly), and I remember it used special chars like those to separate entries.

I'm not 100% sure it was those chars. I'd have to check.

But... are you certain those @ are really wrong? Can you diff a working savegame to a broken one?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe