Ingame screenshots

Discuss the Vega Wars mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: hurleybird

Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Ingame screenshots

Post by Beowulf »

First screenshots of models ingame, will post more in the next days...
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Now to make up some stats everything :wink: Looking good Beowulf

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you should use the new bumpmapping capability to make nice normalmaps for your tie fighters---that would make the solar panels look all rigidy without wasting any performance
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Newest addition:
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

The K-Wing heavy bomber:
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Here's a special one for hellcatv:
Grand Admiral Thrawn
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Great stuff Beowulf. Are you putting these in SVN somewhere?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

I will in the next few days. Let me clean up a few things first :)
Grand Admiral Thrawn
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yay a Z-95... don't remember it having 3 blasters except in the specs... I guess the low poly rendering of tie fighter wasn't up to the challenge
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

The first version on the market had three blasters. I assume that these weren't nearly as strong as lasers around the time of the battle of yavin since the Z-95's design is over a hundred years old. Later versions were equipped with the two lasers you see in most depictions. I don't think that the TIE Fighter engine was the reason behind this since it was capable of rendering the X-Wing (which has four lasers which isn't that far away from six blasters).
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

wasnt the canopy of the headhunter more bubblelike? u may also need to fix the smothing on most models, the avenger is the only one i would count as okay, even if the model/texture could be more detailed and the proportions r not in line with your(?) tie-bomber
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Moe479 wrote:wasnt the canopy of the headhunter more bubblelike?
I agree, the canopy is wrong. It's different on the headhunter I made but that one isn't textured and it might need some more detail.
u may also need to fix the smothing on most models, the avenger is the only one i would count as okay, even if the model/texture could be more detailed and the proportions r not in line with your(?) tie-bomber
I'm neither a modeler nor a texturerer :-(
Are you good at these things? I'll make the mod (at least what I've done so far) available via subversion or some other means in the next few days---maybe you want to join the team? :)
Grand Admiral Thrawn
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Good stuff! As it's been said, though; there's smoothing artifacts. Specially the first model, there's a lot of "false shadows" across faces. Check the WIKI How-To's, starting with "Understanding Smooth Groups".
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTos#Modeling
If you're using Blender, those wikis are outdated. To split smooth groups in Blender now, you go to object mode, select an object, add attribute Edge Split, and change its setting from "From Angle" to "From Marked Sharp". Then go to edit mode, highlight all, W->Set Smooth; then in edge selection mode you highlight edges that should be sharp and go Ctrl-E->Mark Sharp.
Cheers.
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

The Nebulon B2 Frigate---the big turrets are too large, will change that later:
Strangely if this ship is flown by the AI it doesn't use any turrets---what do I have to do to make the AI use them?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

The BFF-1 Bulk Freighter:
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

The XQ-5 platform:

With this platform I lots of 'NetForce transform skrewed' on the console. Any idea what that means and where I might have made a mistake?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Beowulf wrote: With this platform I lots of 'NetForce transform skrewed' on the console.
Any idea what that means and where I might have made a mistake?
I've no idea what your sentence means, myself. What "platform" are you talking about?
I mentioned shading artifacts, and pointed you to the smoothing groups how-to.
Shading artifacts can result also from blotched meshes. Every edge in a mesh should be shared by at most 2 facets.
If you have edges shared by 3 facets, like a T, that is, some edge on the
surface of the hull has an additional polygon attached to it inside the ship,
you'll get shading artifacts on the surface, emanating from that edge.
What modelling software are you using?
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

chuck_starchaser wrote:
Beowulf wrote: With this platform I lots of 'NetForce transform skrewed' on the console.
Any idea what that means and where I might have made a mistake?
I've no idea what your sentence means, myself. What "platform" are you talking about?
I mentioned shading artifacts, and pointed you to the smoothing groups how-to.
Shading artifacts can result also from blotched meshes. Every edge in a mesh should be shared by at most 2 facets.
If you have edges shared by 3 facets, like a T, that is, some edge on the
surface of the hull has an additional polygon attached to it inside the ship,
you'll get shading artifacts on the surface, emanating from that edge.
What modelling software are you using?
I was talking about this space installation :) I've found the error, the script I wrote for blender to generate turret vectors produced a few NaNs.
About the shading artifacts: I'll look at this later, at the moment I'm all busy learning how to get ships into the game and how to arm them etc...
Thanks for the help :)
Grand Admiral Thrawn
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Ah, you're using Blender; excellent!
To find snafus in the mesh, there's a very easy way. In edit mode, make
sure nothing is highlighted, go to edge selection mode, then from the Select
menu, click on "Non-Manifold".
Non-manifold edges are defined as edges shared by any number of polygons
other than 2. Thus, the borders of non-closed meshes will all be highlighted.
But except for such borders, nothing else should be highlighted. Press Z to go
to transparent mode, and spend a good 15 minutes looking over the mesh. If
you see any edges highlighted other than borders, it means one of two hings:
1) The edge is split (duplicate vertices at one or both ends) or...
2) There's more than two polygons sharing it (i.e.: an internal, invisible
polygon is attache to that edge and to some other edge or vertex elsewhere.
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

The Lambda-class Shuttle, military version with a turret at the rear:
Grand Admiral Thrawn
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

any chance you can make the wings open and closed?
you need to export one model per wing position (sucks, I know) then I can help you string it together into one ueber shuttle...and you can toggle it with a key :-)
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Maybe blender can generate these models automatically? I'll take a look at it...
A much more elegant way of doing this in my opinion would be to use subunits and have vegastrike turn these subunits on keystroke, but I guess that isn't possible?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think it might be possible...there's the accessory thing--there might be a way to turn on and off the accessories ... or we could add a way maybe

the animation thing definitely works right now
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Beowulf wrote: Strangely if this ship is flown by the AI it doesn't use any turrets---what do I have to do to make the AI use them?
A possible explanation -
Turrets (like all units) have a COMBAT ROLE field. The turret will prioritize engaging targets based upon its combat role and that of potential targets. If the turret is set as, for instance, an anti-capital turret, it will probably ignore fighters unless there's nothing else in range to target, and even then may take a while to come to the conclusion that there's nothing better to shoot unless said fighter is harrassing the ship.

The prioritization is fortunately not hardcoded, and can be changed by updating the table in ai/VegaPriorities.csv (so you can easily make everything shoot anything at everything -- although I wouldn't entirely recommend that :) )

What is the combat role of the turrets you positioned on the ship, and what was the combat role of the vessel you hoped they'd be firing at? Also, try giving some warmup time to capital engagements -- it can take a little while for the AIs to make up their minds as to what they're going to engage if neither of the ships is currently at a high simulation frequency.
Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

a s-foil toggle would be also great for x and b wing, the actis interceptor, ... etc.